“Average hotel”

Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hellidon
Reviewed 4 April 2012

There was a huge stain on the bed runner. Dinner that was included in the cost was capped at £50 for two people but no one actually informed me before I received the bill. I stated I didn't want anything charged to the room but they did it anyway and you actually have to pay for the tea tray in the room to be topped up. Overall it was pleasant but I wouldn't rush back.

• Stayed: April 2012
csteadman, General Manager at Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2012

Dannii
Thank you for your post and I am astounded that you have been informed that you must pay to have your tea tray re-stocked, this is certainly not the case and I would be interested to hear who informed you of this so I can ensure nobody else is fed this information. I would like to apologise for you being given this information and hope we do see you back at Hellidon in the future.

Reviewed 3 April 2012

As
with Nicola (a previous reviewer) We were re-located at short notice
to a hotel 20mins down the road due to the conference. We were told the
hotel was 5-10mins away -Incorrect. We were told we could have free
transfer taxis at any time from hotel back to the Helidon for meals/spa-
these were very late /didn't arrive, leading to 7 of us having to get
changed and showered in the communal changing rooms (no towels provided
despite being promised these) as we could not get back to our Hotel in
time to change for dinner.
The staff communication was extremely poor between themselves, and was
insensitive and unprofessional at times.
The evening was further spoilt by an overcooked dinner due to the chef
not being informed that our dinner was to be delayed due to the problem
with the taxis.
We were encouraged on arrival to visit the water gardens/waterfall in
the hotel grounds which we were told is where wedding couples have their
photos taken....Please do not waste your time walking down there as we
found No waterfall and a disgusting pool covered in thick scum.
Our stay culminated in a member of the spa staff going off sick at late
notice the next day causing treatments to be cancelled as only 1 member
of staff was left to work and no replacement was available.
The only redeeming point was that 'Kieran' was helpful, friendly and a
credit to the hotel for his professional attitude and attentive service
to our group.. so a big Thank You to you Kieran. The Restaurant manager
was also very apologetic and tried make amends for the poor experience
we were having.
Our stay was for a special occasion and needless to say this was ruined
due to the above. Could I suggest a look at staff communication and a
full-time staff member to be employed to manage the spa more
effectively. It would also be beneficial to get someone employed to
answer the phone in the spa as all of our party left numerous messages
on the ansaphone to try and book treatments and many of the calls were
not returned. It became obvious that this was due to the fact that the
staff were busy doing treatments and the phone went straight to
ansaphone.
Not a good experience and will not be returning

Room Tip: Wouldn't know as never got one!!!!!
1  Thank KarenB443
csteadman, General Manager at Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2012

Karen
As you were part of Nicola's hen party I refer my comments from her post. Once again I do apologise for the issues you and your party encountered.

Reviewed 2 April 2012

14 of us booked here several weeks ago for my Hen do. From start to finish, the experience was one not to be repeated- ever again.
A few days before arrival, we found out by accident that we had been double booked and our overnight accomodation would be provided by a nearby hotel. However taxi transfers were promised and we thought we could make the best of it.
In reality the transfers were sporadic and in one case non- existent, meaning that at the time of our planned pre-dinner drinks, my party was in 2 separate locations!! The group that were left behind at HELLindon had to make do with group showers with non-existent towels. We were chastised in no uncertain terms for being late for dinner. The following day we thought at least we could console ourselves with our pre-booked extra treatments, only to be informed that one of the two therapist was off sick and the planned treatments could not go ahead afterall. To cap it all, an aerobics class was being held in the postage stamp sized pool with half a dozen loungers, so we couldn't even use that!!!
In summary, a lovely location let down entirely by extremely poor communicaton, inexperienced and ineffectual staff.
I can only sympathise entirely with those poor brides who have booked their special day here- don't bother having your picture taken by the 'water feature'- it is little more than a stagnant pond.

Room Tip: Don't bother - just book into the nearby Barcelo hotel- you'll only be cutting out the middl...
1  Thank Disgruntledhen
csteadman, General Manager at Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2012

Disgruntledhen
Thank you for your post and for sitting with my Operations Manager Rob Diaper during your hen party.
I can only apologise for the catalogue of errors that led to your post and I cannot hide behind any excuses as there simply isn't any. Every effort that we made to make it up to you seemed to go wrong and for this I sincerely apologise.
I trust the compensation offered went some way to atone for our mistakes.

Reviewed 1 April 2012

Organised by my friend Mark, four of us took an overnight golf break at this hotel, we arrived on the morning of the 30th March in time for our first round of golf. We completed our round and checked in to the hotel for our overnight stay on a bed breakfast and dinner tariff. My brother and I shared a twin bedded superior room. The room was large with plenty of storage space. A feature of this room is a make up table with angled mirrors built into a corner of the room. The bathroom is also large with separate shower and bath and plenty of shelf place to store your toiletries.
Dinner was taken in the main restaurant (if you want to eat in this restaurant book a table when you check in). The meal was excellent with a good choice of starter, entree and pudding. Diners on a full board basis are allowed to select from the ala carte menu up to a value of £26, any overspend being charged to the room. The wine list contained a good range of wines at reasonable prices for a hotel of this quality. Breakfast was also taken in the main restaurant and consisted of a good selection of items on the hot and cold buffets.
Leisure facilities at this hotel include, pool and spa, gymnasium, golf simulator and a 4 lane ten pin bowling alley. There are several bars throughout the hotel, my favourite being the Terrace Bar which overlooks the eighteenth hole.
The staff at this hotel are amazing. Everyone from the golf pro down to the waiting staff are friendly and helpful and genuinely seemed to want to ensure your stay is pleasant and trouble free.
Having now completed several golfing weekends at diferent hotels, I can say that this has been one of the best and would gladly rebook the Hellidon lakes hotel or any one of the others in the QHotel chain.

Pugwash123
Firstly nice to hear from a fellow Lincoln traveller!!
Obviously I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you find the make up mirror of value.....
Thanks for highlighting the team and in particular the golf Pro, Gary. Happy also that you will be returning to Hellidon or indeed another Qhotel, I personally like Telford's course which isnt as challenging as ours but is very narrow and keeps you on your toes to drive straight.

Reviewed 30 March 2012

NicolaVance2604 you were lucky. I was asked to leave the hotel part way through my stay this week as my room was booked to someone else! really conveinient when you are halfway through your stay. Staff unbothered and not one person actually said sorry. The hotel I moved to said that they had recieved others from Hellidon who had also been asked to leave this week. This is obviously normal practice. AVOID.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Mals S

Mals S
Thank you for your post, I can assure you that it is not normal practice to go over booked, this was a human error and has been dealt with in house.
If you read through the history of posts here there is not a pattern of this happening and unfortunate that it impacted you.
I am sorry that you felt there was no apology and if this was the case I am very surprised as our team are very sympathetic to this situation.
Please do accept my sincere apologies for this situation and I hope that you will return to Hellidon in the future for us to atone for our error.
Chris Steadman

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hellidon
23.5 km away
De Vere Staverton Estate
9.4 km away
Mercure Daventry Court Hotel

Recently Reviewed Hotels around Hellidon

Been to Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!