“Tuscany at it's best in hospitality and home-cooking!”

Fiaschetteria I'Mulino
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 21 March 2017

We came on an unseasonably hot Sunday,bedraggled and LATE on a tour of 3 Medici villas,which frankly is pushing it for one day coming from out of town but we are gluttons for punishment. Anyway we stumbled into a cool (in more than one sense) trattoria with wooden beams,ample tables and smiling waitresses. The menu was full of tempting dishes but being in a hurry because of the pressing appointment at the Villa Ambra we opted for salads and 2 platters of assorted Tuscan cheeses and cured meats. Bread was fresh and crisp,my artisan beer cold and the portions man-sized! All of this and prices that merited a tip as well. What more could you ask for?

Reviewed 24 December 2015

My wife and I arrived quite late for lunch to an empty restaurant, whose main and diminutive dining area is accessed through a bar and enoteca area that displays some attractive charcuterie and some very impressive wine (including a remarkable selection of French wines). The dining room is in a tastefully and impressively restored (maybe even rebuilt) portion of the building. A very kind and exceedingly patient waitress helped us (I say patient because we changed our minds about what to eat several times, something she seemed to find more amusing than irritating). Our choices turned out to have been good ones: wide home-made noodles, in one case with a duck ragu and the other with a ragu of lamb or mutton. Both pasta dishes were served steaming hot (I thought I could hear them sizzling in the "padella" in the smallish kitchen, one of two rooms at the rear of the restaurant, the other is a lavatory). The portions were appropriate, not huge and not meager, just right. We both chose to have salads as a second course. Here the portion was large, the ingredients fresh (though some corn kernels--which could be left out of the dish to no ill effect--may have been canned). The oil furnished for dressing was excellent, as was a small portion of deftly hand-cut and exquisitely flavored prosciutto (served on a cutting board with a small olivewood bowl of olives). I asked about its provenance but neglected to record the answer in my notes! My wife had a very serviceable house wine and I had a very nicely flavored local beer. We never felt the least bit rushed and declined the offer of dessert, but had very good coffee and my wife enjoyed an afternoon cappuccino without the scorn that sometimes comes with such an order after breakfast. All in all, a completely pleasant experience making us inclined to return.

Reviewed 23 July 2015

Just what I felt like after visiting the Villa opposite. Very nicely done, home style cooking. Very enjoyable and affordable.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

We went to Poggio a Caiano, just outside Florence, to visit one of the most important Villas of the Medici, we finished our extremely pleasant visit aorund midday, and naturally looked around for a place to have lunch. The Fiaschetteria il Mulino is literally about 100 yards from the Villa at Poggio a Caiano, on the main Road to Florence. The waitress was young but very helpful, her English was a bit limited, but she communicated effectively. The place was quiet but it slowly filled up - a good sign. Many customers were local people. We enjoyed the local charcuterie with excellent types of bread and focaccia, then we moved on to two different types of pasta, all home-made fresh pasta, I had a variation on Spaghetti alla chitarra alla Amatriciana, and my partner had some fusilli with ricotta and tomatoes. The portions were generous, and the pasta was perfectly cooked, very tasty and basically very good. A good sized glass of wine was priced between € 5 and € 7, and some of the available wines were very local and excellent, especially some variations of the Sangiovese. We shared a traditional cake (torta) and the bill was extremely reasonable. We would certainly go back.

1  Thank Diago_34
Reviewed 10 July 2013

this place has not to be missed while visiting the very beautiful villa of Poggio a Caiano. it's just on the front of it! it's a small place with only a few tables with not an important menu but everything is ok, high quality local products, hams (also from spain), cheeses, breads... and good wines too. moderate prices and comfortable and friendly welcome.