“Peace and rest”
other traveller has booked this property
geese on the pond in the park.
some guests buy a goose. We also supply free-range, organic eggs from the chickens a panel from the unique, large, Renaissance ceiling in the ballroom. One of Poland's most important
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
geese on the pond in the park.
we have enormous out-buildngs too, some of which can be used for big parties and concerts
most of our rooms look something  like this
the kitchen in one of the flats. Big enough for a party
we mostly heat with wood from our own trees
the ballroom ready for a big party. Up to 100 people can sit there
great a country house party. Board games, reading books, long walks (and we do have the internet)
this flat is just off the central courtyard. Two bedrooms and a kitchen
a view on the Czech side. The border is 3 km. There's skiing, hiking, mountain biking, horse riding
the Fireman's Ball. The local fire brigade had an event and concert here
weddings up to 100 people in the house. Up to 250 in one of the big barns
about 200 people having fun in one of the Big Barns
plenty of space for camping, and indoor camping in barns is also possible. Festival?
a boat on the pond. You can swim, but it's cold. Local lakes and quarries are wonderful too
dancing in bare feet to the band
great cycling country. This group had a big lunch on a tour round the area
have you ever seen a more beautiful place to play tennis?
superb horses and instructors on the Czech side. And very inexpensive
a big birthday weekend, and we took them on a tour of other historic houses too. We know the owners
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Jocelyn_M...
Hove, United Kingdom
“Peace and rest”
Reviewed 23 June 2015 for a stay in June 2015
person found this review helpful

I am a returning visitor. I encountered the owner Jim Parton originally through facebook, but he was not previously known to me.

I love the pace and magic of this place where I have rested so deeply. I have been there for magical concerts and for quiet times with friends, surrounded by families unknown (and friendly) or happy quite alone. I love the place. Its history is extraordinary, especially the romance of the charming painted ceiling in the ball room that dates from around 1620.

It is a 'work in progress'. Jim and his gorgeous wife Anna found and have taken on an enfeebled wreck of a building left heartless by years as a Soviet collective (my description not theirs). The ballroom apart, you will not be wowed by fairytale interiors with Versailles grandeur everywhere as that takes time to design, build up and bring to life. There are some very elegant rooms and some very nice suites. The grand bedroom upstairs with balcony is fine and has a rather wonderful bathroom as well its elegant semi-domed ceiling - but there is also a plain-ness that speaks of Jim and Anna's attempt to bring the whole place back to life. It is also a home for their wonderful children, a live-music and sports venue, and I can't imagine how Jim and Anna have already achieved so much in such a small period of time (8 years). I like the ground floor suites off the main courtyard where there are lovely views of the garden across a 'grass sculpture' of an owl that Jim created - these rooms are silent at night, with just the summer sounds of frogs and wildlife.

Jim also has great barns, some are used for sports events, others are used for Ceilidh type live-music events. Others are used to restore old cars.

Jim is a polymath who risks stretching himself too thinly, planting veg in the garden, mowing the rugby pitches, arguing historical minutiae with the local conservators - I know few in his league.

Don't come here looking for prissy, or 'juzhed up' or glamour. This is a place to find your inner Erda and let her hang out idly by the lake whilst deciding whether to walk around the other barn, or around the trees, or perhaps to explore the end of Anna's pebbled pathway. It isn't palatial, but they have troubled to make everything comfortable and simple - and it creates the loveliest simplicity.

The only con I would add is that the family are aware that there are some interesting smells around the place caused by a number of factors that are all being investigated and worked on. This didn't affect my accommodation at all, but I don't want to pretend it was all rosy!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Travelling group: Friends
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing