Review Highlights
Amazing Full Day Experience at Happy Elephant Home

This was my first international trip to Thailand with three other friends who are well traveled... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
1104bryceC
via mobile
Wonderful experience

My friends and I loved everything about this trip. Our guide was fantastic, and he was full of fun... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago

from USD 75.00
from USD 56.30
from USD 138.50
More Info
All reviews sugar cane mud bath baby elephant the river elephant sanctuary amazing experience chiang mai noodles traditional clothes half day tour smaller group rescued elephants splashing water tasty lunch intimate experience elephants including these wonderful creatures
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We did a half day visit and it was incredible! They keep the groups very small (12ish people) so we got a LOT of time with the elephants. Highly recommend this place!!

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

Myself and three of my friends really wanted to go to an elephant sanctuary whilst in Chang mai, but we only wanted to go to one where the elephants were treated well and cruelty free. We researched a lot and decided on happy elephant home. It ended up being just us four on the day so we had a private tour with four elephants (three older ones and a baby), it was AMAZING. We changed into traditional dress so the elephants would be comfortable around us, and then cut up sugar cane and bananas for the elephants to eat. Our tour guide was amazing telling us so much interesting information about the elephants and their backgrounds (where they had come from) and how they had been working elephants previously. We had time to have some photos, feed them and play with them and then we walked them down to the river where all four got in to cool down and we joined them! We bathed them, splashed them and they lay down so we could massage them and they loved it! After a while the elephants got out and played for a bit and we headed back where we had a traditional Thai meal which we could cook for ourselves (so tasty)! One of the best days ever truly amazing

Date of experience: March 2018
Reviewed 13 March 2018

This was one of the best days of my life to date! We arrived and had something to eat and were given some traditional clothes to wear so that the Elephants would recognise us like they do the people who work there; I ended up wearing this bright pink shirt and my sisters matched mine!

We then watched a guy cut pumpkin with a machete, and everyone who wanted a go got to try it. I'll admit it was fun, though a bit daunting to be holding it! We also got to cut sugar cane, which was really fun. My siblings and I had a competition on who could cut the best piece and it was fun as anything.

Then we got to spend time with the Elephants. My youngest brother, who was 5 at the time, got a hug from the baby Elephant! He was a little wary but he had such a good time. After that we all trekked down to the river with the Elephants; they weren't prodded in that direction or anything they just started walking and that signaled that it was river time.

We had a lot of fun splashing around with the Elephants in the river, one of the got out after a few minutes but no one tried to force him back into the water which was nice. Once they were all out they threw dust on themselves and walked back.

This next bit was my absolute FAVOURITE part of the entire day...two of the Elephants jumped into a mud bath, and I got in with them. It was amazing, I dragged my sister and mum in with me but the others didn't want to. It was such a surreal experience and definitely one I will never forget.

I would recommend Happy Elephant Home to anyone visiting the area who wants to see Elephants. It's not physically taxing, I'm not very fit but found it a pleasant walk, and the younger kids and teens in our group enjoyed themselves as well.

Date of experience: April 2017
Reviewed 13 March 2018

WOW! where do i start? From the very start it was a magical experience.
We first cut up sugar cane and ripe bananas and put them in our bags, we then went to meet the elephants which were amazing. We fed the elephants what was in our bags, then walked down to the mud bath with them and helped bath them!!
We were then shown how to make our own lunch Thai style.
After lunch we chopped more sugar cane and bananas. The elephants followed us down to the lake and we got in with them which was fantastic. We got squirted by the elephants which was one of the many highlights.

Date of experience: February 2018
Reviewed 27 February 2018 via mobile

My wife wanted to visit an elephant sanctuary in Thailand. A camp that focused on the welfare of the elephants and not the tourists. After some research (apparently not enough), I booked Happy elephant home.

While at the camp we twice witnessed a mahout poking an elephant on the back of the legs with a very sharp object, once making the elephant walk with the tourists, and the other attempting to make the elephant get in the river with the tourists. This was not to protect anyone but to give the tourists a better experience. Moreover, he was attempting to conceal his mistreatment of the elephant from the visitors.

I understand the Thai elephant tourist industry is complicated, and I'm not making a moral judgement here. It was easy for my wife and I to avoid the many riding camps, as they are not hiding anything. However, Happy Elephant Home promotes itself as a safe haven, as a conservation center, where in fact it is not. Itsfor this reason that I am writing this review.

Date of experience: February 2018