“Down home cooking”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 21 September 2018

Excellent quality food, fun place to eat. You do not order, but have plated brought to you. The house wine is of a good quality. The owner is on site or his sister.

Date of visit: September 2018
1  Thank stephenr1951
Write a ReviewReviews (1,127)

Reviewed 17 July 2018 via mobile

Osteria del Matto came as a recommendation from our tour guide and it did not disappoint. My daughter and I could not stop talking about the food and the experience all around. Not knowing Italian, I was happy to walk in and let them give me whatever. That way I was much more adventurous in my eating than just ordering whatever I could recognize.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 6 June 2018

Our favourite restaurant in Spoleto was closed, so we popped into Osteria del Matto! We were not given a menu, or offered a choice of water, or wine either for that matter. Apparently we were having the fixed menu lunch. (I'm not sure whether there are other alternatives, haha!). In any case, we decided to go with the flow. A large jug of tap water arrived, a carafe of Montefalco vino Rosso and what seemed like a never ending stream of very tasty antipasto dishes. These dishes all seemed to be 'peasant style' and each one was delicious. Faro and prosciutto risotto, fava beans, asparagus, lamb chops, pomodoro spaghetti, garlicky mushrooms and a couple of others which escape me right now. But all were delicious! A little creamy dolce and cafe to finish!
Both my husband and myself enjoyed this authentic experience. We were the only customers, and both the owner and Nonna kept popping out of the kitchen to check that we were happy.
All in all, a very nice, relaxing and typical meal...a very pleasant surprise. Sometimes it is lovely to have the decisions taken out of your hands...go with it!!

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 29 May 2018

Who knew, our evening at Osteria del Matto was going to be such fun, delicious local fare, friendly welcoming service, and a evening that spanned over three hours.

The restaurant was only setting up when we arrive at 1830, we make a reservation and are asked to return in over one hour, time to head to the near-by piazza for a drink. The restaurant decor was a mixture of tables and chairs of all sorts, a variety of eclectic objects and pictures line the walls and shelves, as is the crockery and cutlery. The owner Filippo is very attentive at front of house while his wife works in the kitchen. The restaurant is small and cosy, over the course of the evening the restaurant is packed and the atmosphere is happy. There is no menu, changes daily, it's a fixed menu at 25 euro/person which includes a half litre of wine. The menu includes nine local dishes, we are content and happy all evening, we love all the dishes: proscuitto, faro, the most delicious warm mushroom caps, mini toasts topped with Sicilian tomatoes or cheese and juniper berries, pork sausage, roasted guinea fowl, pork ribs, mixed salad, fresh pasta with tomatoes, basil and parmesan and finally tiramisu. Grazie mille Osteria del Matto for a great night out in Spoleto.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed 23 May 2018 via mobile

Amazing experience! Great food in a simple, familystyle environment. Lovely staff which made the experience hard to forget.

Date of visit: May 2018