“Once upon a time it may have been great. Now, well...”
Review of Hotel Valentini

Hotel Valentini
Reviewed 19 March 2016

Thing is, this is a four star hotel. And you can judge it based on that. The results are pretty poor.

Or you can judge it based on the price (I'm paying 50€ per night) and the results are pretty good.

You choose. Now for the details:

You get into the parc surrounding the hotel and think wow, this is pretty impressive. Think grand hotel turn of the century, road going uphill to the hotel, itself a very nice palace, high ceilings and all.

Now slow down and enjoy this moment, as this is the only 4 star feeling you will get here.

Here the issues start. The Parc is impressive but has not been cared for in ages. Yes they cut the grass, that's pretty it. The trees need trimming, leaves (we are in spring) are all over the place, the gate is rusted, the short driveway to the hotel could easily host a Paris-Dakar stage.

Let's move on.

We park the car somewhere as there is no clear parking space and get inside. The building is majestic and you just think the park may have been an isolated mistake. But it wasn't.

You get in the hall through a door the quality of which you'd not accept at your local Macdonalds. At some point they obviously had to replace the main door and the only choosing criteria must have been the price.

There is no one at the front desk. Never in the few days I've been here. Instead, they seat on the back. It's OK. But it isn't great, because you'll have to wait for them to see you, stand up, come to you. Sometimes this process will be slowed down by some important matter happening on their mobile phone which just can't be put down right now. Not that often actually, mostly with a couple younger girls. But it happened. Not really 4 star feelings to wait for girl to be done with whatsapp before she can attend to you.

Service is usually efficient and courteous. And up we go to the room.

Those rooms were designed to be majestic. Bright. High ceilings. Really high. Large bathroom. Someone wanted them to make you feel special.

And then carpet happened.

I mean, seriously? Carpet? In a 4 star hotel? Also, I'm sure there is a nice hardwood floor under it. So why covering it and making this look like some provincial English motel?

Plus, if you HAVE to put carpet, why a beige one? Why? You You got to figure it WILL be dirty in the second day and will stay like that forever.

Mah.

The room is clean though, and quiet, which is good. With a nice view on the abandoned Park filed with randomly parked cars.

The furnitur, like the carpet, doesn't fit the room, nor the 4 stars. It's ok, don't get me wrong. But it is definitely just ok, nothing more. Turning on the heating start a fan the size of which I am sure a Boeing 747 employs, with with the difference that the plane is definitely quiet. So better better to turn it it off and be happy with the current temperature.

But let's get out of here and go to dinner.

Now the food isn't bad, but any standard. But let's not forget this is a 4 star hotel. When I ask for wine selection I expect more than red or white. But that's it. Meat? OK. But really you serve it with fries? Did this come for free with the Macdonalds styled entry door? Go figure.

And I could go on about hosts being noisy and service doing nothing about it, the minibar in the room being there, yes, but empty, the breakfast being rather poor in terms of quality and variety... But let's not, you get the point.

Is this a 4 stars hotel? Definitely NOT.

Is it a good three stars hotel? Not sure...

Is it a poor three stars hotel trapped in a body of a long forgotten grand hotel? Yes, this is how I see it.

On the other hand, is it a good hotel at 50€ per night? SURE! I can't complain, for the price. Actually I'm quite happy.

Just expect it to be that, a good choice for 50€ per night, and you'll be happy. Do Not expect a 4 stars hotel because it will disappoint you.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled on business

Reviewed 22 February 2016

The town of Salsomaggiore is well worth a visit, but quite honestly I don't know whether I'd stay at the Hotel Valentini again.
It is an imposing building, and we weren't sure if we were really the right clientele when we drew up our battered Hyundai behind a gleaming Maserati outside the front door but the staff were friendly and professional, welcoming us in and showing us a lovely room with a lovely big bed for a reasonable price.
However our stay was spoiled by the heating being set far too high with no adjustment that worked and the next morning the hot water dribbled out of the tap. Maybe we were unlucky and everyone else was having their shower at the same time - but then a hotel of this size should be able to cope with that shouldn't it? We were given a reduction in the price when we pointed these problems out, but that's not really the point. I would have preferred to have got a good night's sleep, rather than feeling I was in a sauna, and to have been able to take a shower the next morning before a long and arduous drive.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 February 2016 via mobile

Best budget accommodation for the budget traveller.

Excellent location. Near town centre and railway station.

Friendly and helpful staff. Spotlessly clean.

Breakfast only so so.

I'd stay again any time.

Stayed: November 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 January 2016

Pretty comfortable and clean hotel, a little vintage, looking like the one of "Grand Budapest Hotel" but fascinating for this, just five minute walking from thermae center. I was here in winter season and I really appreciated the warm temperature of the hotel.Breakfast not excellent but good. I definitevely say ok for this hotel according to the price.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 October 2015

Wow, where do I begin. Originally our reservations were booked with the Grand Hotel Porro, but we were told that the hotel was not open and we were switched to the Hotel Valentini. This is ok as it really is the same hotel we were told. Not having been to the Grand Hotel Porro before, I cannot say. I did feel like a fast one had been pulled on us. Both hotels are located on the same property. Hotel Valentini is booked by multiple tour agencies bringing in people by the bus loads. Office was not staffed to handle that many people and there was lots of confusion in the lobby. The restaurant on site was only open from 1900-2045. Hotel staff would not recommend a local restaurant to go as an alternate dinner location. Hotel was dated and the rooms were NOT decorated as stated. Hot tub is only available from 0800-1200 and the pool closes at 1700. Lights would not stay on in the room with the key card that they provided. It took 45 minutes and 3 key cards together to get the power to work in the room. Breakfast: several dry pastries to choose from, standard European breakfast with fruit, cereal, bread and salame. They also had scrambled eggs that were not fit to eat. Watery and eggs not cooked to set stage. Major yuck! Breakfast staff was very unfriendly and curt. WiFi does not work well. Not enough bandwidth for a hotel that size. My connectivity was constantly going on and off and would not hold.

Room Tip: Not sure that there are any.