“A hidden jewel on the Amalfi Coast”
Review of Hotel Onda Verde

Hotel Onda Verde
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Praiano
California Hot Springs, California
“A hidden jewel on the Amalfi Coast”
Reviewed 14 January 2012

We have traveled many places in Italy and stayed at some of the best hotels. The Onda Verde stands out as one of the most unique experiences. In thinking back of our stay in September 2011 sleeping with the doors open at night was so peaceful and set the mood for such a pleasant stay. This hotel is conveniently locate between Amalfi and Positano, but we found staying at the hotel was entertaining by itself. With a spectacular view and a private beach and we will never forget the outstanding chef. We learned some new techniques in the kitchen and enjoyed plenty of good food. The elevator gave us easy access from the cliffs to the main road. The staff had a variety of good suggestions from chamber music to visiting a well known local artist. Try this hotel and you will not be disappointed. After 5 days we did not want to leave this hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Diane H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 31 December 2011

I've visited Praiano the last three summers. Two summers ago I stayed at Hotel Onde Verde. I had seen the hotel before because of its fantastic location essentially right on the water (there is a windy path down to the beach, very easy stroll since it's not too steep). I did not expect to get a room with such an insane view, not for the money I was spending (which is very reasonable given the location). Praiano is the best town to stay in. Last summer I stayed in Positano at Merincanto, which is fine, but the concierge/front desk gentleman can be a little stuffy. Paranoia doesn't take itself so seriously. One advantage of the Marincanto is that it has an infinity pool, which is really nice (means you don't have to make the long walk down to the not-great beach in Positano). I wish Onde Verde had a pool, but frankly, even without one, the beach access is just so easy that I still prefer this hotel to the higher-priced Marincanto in Positano. Positano just has too many people milling about, anyway. Praiano is pretty chill. I think it's actually a chicer destination because it doesn't have hoards of people coming off tourist boats flooding the town and it's a quieter beach destination. Feels more like a village. Love that.

Here are the reasons I recommend Onde Verde
-Friendly staff, not stuffy, very helpful

-INSANELY GOOD access to the beach, restaurants, boat transfers and water taxi to Capri, Positano, Amalfi, etc.

-Spectacular views

-I brought my mom on this trip and she's older; she was able to manage the path down to the water, no problem. Consider how far you're really going to walk/hike if you book elsewhere in town. The whole place is VERTICAL. My first summer I rented a house way up and it was a 40 min hike back UP to the house. In 90-degree weather. Just know what you're signing up for. At Onde Verde, this is no issue at all, as there is an elevator from the lowest level up to the main road.

-Easy bus access (you don't want a car here)

I have uploaded a photo of the beach since this seems to be a question people have... is it a good beach? Is it too rocky, etc. There are virtually no sandy beaches on this coast of Italy, but the rocks aren't too bad. I just recommend some kind of beachy sandal... for ladies, try getting the Havaianas that have the back-strap. This is a good solution to walking from your beach chair into the water. Honestly, I think one of the charms of an Italian vacation for Americans is having that rent-a-chair beach experience that is so European and so unlike home. Marina di Praia can get very crowded, but I think it's fun. It's convivial, you're going to hear a lot of other languages, and the gentleman who rents the chairs is hilarious. Big personality and very warm.

Onde Verde is the same. Miro works reception and is happy to arrange boat transfers for you, etc. The staff could not be more friendly. At the time I stayed at the hotel, the chef had previously worked at Le Sireneuse, which is a super-chic hotel ($700+/nt) in Positano, so while the dining room looks a little tired, the food is solid.

The only reason for 4 and not five stars is:
They should add a pool
They should redecorate the dining room. Italian decor is dowdy, and I can totally deal with that, but the atmosphere in the dining room is just kind of a downer. We skipped some dinners and just dined at Il Pirata (3 mins down from the hotel) because dining outside was just spectacular and it has better atmosphere (the bar is carved out of the rock, in a cave... really fun).

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Lainy1976
Indonesia
Reviewed 9 December 2011

Stayed at Onda Verde twice this year and each time was fantastic, the views are breathtaking, the rooms very comfortable, waiters and waitresses are amazing and "chef"...well what can I say...... just perfect.
I have noticed a few previous comments about the management and have to say that I always found them to be precise, courteous, helpful and friendly.As a small hotel owner myself, I can understand that sometimes, we owners can be a little abrupt but usually this has nothing to do with guests it has more to do with juggling 100 "hotel issues" that ensure a great stay for the guests.
An excellent Hotel that I would recommend 100% and one that I will be visiting for many many years to come.
Thank you Miro, Francesco and all the staff.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Raphael D
North Street, Michigan
Reviewed 1 December 2011

The Onda Verde is in a breathtakingly beautiful location, where the turquois Meditteranean meets sheer vertical rock dotted with cliff hugging, multi-colored homes and their gardens of figs and lemons.
The pictures and videos provided on the hotel's website are, in my opinion, an accurate portrayal of the beauty of the hotel and the location.
My husband and I journeyed to the Onda Verde in September of 2010 (not 2011), after spending a week in Paris. I came to the Onda Verde in not the best of moods. Specifically, I had already had a run around by management prior to my arrival. My contact person kept insisting that I bring cash or travelers checks as payment upon arrival. I found the rate for Euro based travelers checks to be outrages - way beyond the already poor exchage rate between the Euro and the U.S. dollar. On the other hand, I did not want to carry thousands of dollars in cash around with us for the week that we were in Paris. ATMs would not allow the withdrawl of such a large amount of cash at one time.
Since the web site accepted credit cards as a method of securing a reservation, I could not understand why credit cards could not be accepted for payment. Over several email exchanges, management was adament about the cash or travels checks policy.
My husband already had his heart set on this hotel,so I started to purchase travelers checks; however, as the exchange rate continued to favor the Euro over the dollar, I got to the point where I decided enough was enough. I had already spent $700 just in travelers check fees and still had to purchase more. I told my husband that we would have to stay somewhere else, as I could not justify the incredible added cost of payment in travelers check, nor did I feel comfortable touting that much cash around.
I contacted the Onda Verde to let them know that since they would not accept credit cards, I would need to cancel my reservation. Low and behold, the whole story changed. Of course they accepted credit cards, it is just that they "preferred" cash or travelers checks.
When we finally arrived, I was very disappointed in the balcony off of our room. It was incredibly small, with a solid wall that completely blocked our view of the sea, unless we were standing up. We were told, when we arrived, that this was the very last room available, as if we had not made reservations several months in advance, and had to be given the room with the worst view.
The room itself was gorgeously done in white tile with yellow and blue designs, including the bathroom sink. In addition to the double or queen size bed, we had a chaise lounge, desk with TV, and a full armoir. Shower was hot and functional. Bathtub was missing the stopper and it took about 2 days for that to be replaced.
From all this negativity, you may be wondering why I still rate it at 4 stars?
First of all, the wait staff and the front desk staff (other than the surly man who gave the impression that he was one of the owners) were terrific. In fact, my husband and I received the best recommendations for local area attractions and businesses from the staff.
Second, for the most part the food was very, very good. Some dishes were outstanding, and others just good, but who can complain when every meal comes with a million dollar view?
Third, considering that it cost us just as much to visit Disney World for a week with 2 kids, the cleanliness and beauty of the hotel, the grandeur of the location, the friendliness of the staff, the easy accessability to the bus system, and the high quality of the meals that are included with the full board program makes a stay here an outstanding value.
This could be a 5 star place, no doubt. I have read a couple of other posts that indicated that there is, perhaps, some type of conflcit occuring in the family that owns the hotel. I don't know howa visitor would know this, but it would explain a lot about some of our treatment.
It certainly seemed ironic that the only person we felt to be in any way unfriendly towards us was one who would most benefit, economically, from our stay there.
My husband and I are planning on returning to this region of Italy in the future. We would certainly consider staying again at the Onda Verde. I do not think that anyone would be disappointed, unless you are the type of person who demands that an entourage attend to your every need, every minute of the day.
If you go, you will take back wonderful memories, great photographs, and a rejuvenated spirit.

Room Tip: I would not recommend room 201, as this room has a very small balcony with a very occluded view.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank LoveJBM
Reviewed 24 November 2011

We found this place on Trip Advisor and cannot thank you enough. We were celebrating both of our birthdays and everything was made special for us. The hotel staff were so helpful...Pepi, our server was top-shelf...and our Chef served the most wonderful meals. We had the all inclusive and it was wonderful from being picked up at the airport to dining. I would highly recommend this place to anyone and hope to be back soon. Thank You, Onda Verde.

Room Tip: Our suite was 102 and was overlooking the water with a great veranda.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Praiano
0.8 km away
1.5 km away
Hotel Pellegrino
Hotel Pellegrino
#1 of 19 in Praiano

Been to Hotel Onda Verde? Share your experiences!