All reviewsrooftop poolshuttle servicethe main hotelli gallishuttle busour honeymoonamalfi coastamazing viewsrooms are smalldeluxe roomperched highbreakfast roomwalk upthe hotel offerscommon areasmagical placebeautiful room
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Tomorrow is the end of our ten-day stay at the Villa Franca in Positano, and there is not enough wonderful to say about this gem of a hotel atop the hill. Even though not much --actually, as close to nothing as possible -- happens in Positano in the winter, this time and space provided precisely the respite we needed. The day journeys to Pompeii, Sorrento, Amafi, Ravello, Salerno and beyond were fantastic, but coming 'home' to the Villa Franca was delightful. Our room was spectacular and the bed remarkably comfortable, even though I longed for more drawer space... However, what makes the Villa Franca exceptional is the people; from Giovanni at the front desk, to Franco and Luca in the dining room, the women who keep the space spotless, and the owner who hover like angels, their presence felt but not pushed, always available to make sure everything is 'just so'. Not only will they send you somewhere for a great dinner or experience, they will bring you tea and toast if they know or even suspect you are not feeling well. Do not hesitate for a moment to book into this wonderful space! We will certainly return!

Room Tip: Stay in an ocean facing room for sure!!!!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I just happen to stumble into this hotel as I was driving at night through the Amalfi coast with no reservations. What a find! I woke up the next morning to an incredible view that made my whole trip worth it even though I was later robbed in Napoli. I stayed 3 nights in a nice room with a small balcony overlooking the water. The room was compact and had a big bathroom. Breakfast was good with many options. It has a spa but I did not use its services.
They offer parking for an extra fee a couple of streets below with valet service. But it just takes too long to have someone bring your car around as it is a one way street and they have to go through the town to get back to the hotel. It is much simpler if you go pick it up. Overall, just the view is worth staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Pimpollo
Reviewed 9 February 2012

We were referred to the Hotel Villa Franca by friends and it was a fantastic experience. The room, the quaintness, the outstanding breakfast, the rooftop-it was all exceptional and totally worth every penny. The views are the best in Positano. The shuttle service with their van was totally convenient to get to and from the bottom of the hill. Our room had an incredible view (and that was without an upgrade). Service was awesome. I cannot say enough about this cozy, clean, beautifully decorated, boutique hotel. It's a gem on the top of an already amazing oasis. We spent a lot of time exploring Positano, hitting local restaurants, shopping, we took a cooking class with Mama Agata in Ravello (which is a review in itself, highlight of our 10-day Amalfi vacation), but it was always such a pleasure to come home to the Villa Franca. Would I stay there again? 1000000000% YES.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank KristyT1972
Reviewed 20 January 2012

Spent several days at the Hotel Villa Franca. You couldn't ask for a better location to stay in Positano. The balcony views were breathtaking and the rooms were clean and spacious. There is nothing like the view at Positano. We stayed in the building next to the main building and were very happy with the accommodations. A free courtesy van runs up and down the hillside. We enjoyed breakfast each morning and had dinner in the same room one evening. The main dinning room overlooks the sea. Great service, great food, great pool, and a definite great find!

Room Tip: I think all rooms have a great view
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank PittsburghBounce
Reviewed 15 January 2012

We just wrapped our tour of Italy with a 3 night stay at Villa Franca & were pleased with our room at this small, boutique hotel.

As the reviewer below notated: yes, the owners (an older couple) here seem to be ever present and treat the hotel like a home (with there real home directly below the hotel) where our rooms was. That said, we never witnessed any yelling at staff members but I'd say I felt as though we were on their turf and somewhat uneasy about lounging around the public rooms as a result. Otherwise, we truly appreciated everything about the hotel, especially the design which would fit right into Laguna Beach, our home away from home. The only issue I would complain about was the mold on the tiles and ceiling of our bathroom which was abundant and rooms our power went out on the day we left, but a call would easily have fixed the problem I'm sure.

The food: apparently the hotel gets precooked food during the winter months, aside from things like salad of course and they heat it up for the dinning room (which is beautifully composed) and the food is very reasonably priced and ok, but not great. During the "tourist season" however this does not apply as the hotel takes on more staff. That said, although I wouldn't recommend the food served at dinner time I would recommend the hotel for it's capable staff minus whoever is retrieving the cars from valet which took about 25 minutes versus the quoted 10-15, but after learning the valet person has to drive down through the town and and back again to get it, we understood.

Room service: one night we had pizza and salad in our room and we enjoyed it though and breakfasts with Franca, our ever present smiling greater and server, was good with a wonderful view to top it all off.

Walking: Positano is known as the "city of steps" so yes, you will be walking allot as a result.
All in all though I fell in love with the place even though you'll be wearing a parka in winter and eating food that wasn't what we would get really excited about but then, we don't travel for the gourmet food alone.

Enjoy:)

Room Tip: Bring your walking shoes and a strong heart for driving the Amalfi Coast road!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple