All reviewsrooftop poolshuttle servicethe main hotelli gallishuttle busour honeymoonamalfi coastamazing viewsrooms are smalldeluxe roomperched highbreakfast roomwalk upthe hotel offerscommon areasmagical placebeautiful room
Reviewed 17 October 2011

My husband and I spent 5 days at this hotel and loved everything about it!! Amazing views all around. Everyone on staff is very kind and helpful. Shuttle was extremely convenient. We took a taxi one night to have dinner (I was dressed up and didn't want to walk down all the stairs & shuttle wasnt heading out for a while). Taxi was 25 euro for less than a 5 minute drive! Made us appreciate the shuttle service even more. Breakfast was delicious!! Im still craving those pastries :) A great selection of eggs, bacon, pastries, cereal, yogurt, cakes. We can't wait to go back! Positano is so romantic!

Room Tip: Spend extra for a view! It really is worth waking up to the sea!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2011

We stayed at the Villa Franca in early October 2011 to relax after doing some sightseeing in the Sorrento/Naples area. The hotel is in a fantastic location, the views from the roof top pool area are amazing, and it looks down on to both bays in Positano. We never used the shuttle service the hotel provides on a surprisingly frequent basis, but if you don't want to navigate the steep steps or the less steep road down to the main bay/beach it would undoubtedly be very useful. We found it helped us build up an appetite for dinner and walk it off afterwards!

The staff were friendly, the breakfast was good (lots of choice of pastries, bread, cereal, fruit, some cooked food) and served in a light airy room with the doors open looking down the coast to Praiano. We also ate at the pool bar and the food was also very good there.

We had a room on the front with a lovely balcony and a fantastic view. Our room seemed to have too much furniture and ornaments in it, for me a bit less clutter would have made it more relaxing and seem less full. The bathroom was fairly pokey with the toilet behind the door, and the shower pressure could be a little intermittent. The major drawbacks for us were the bed was very hard, a problem we'd had in our previous hotel, and as the floors are tiled throughout there was a fair bit of noise which echoed around. It does make a big difference if the quality of sleep is good, and it may be possible to offer mattress toppers to provide a slightly softer bed - we would certainly have welcomed that.

Notwithstanding the negatives, we did enjoy our stay at the hotel because of its location and the views.

Room Tip: Go for a room on the front if you aren't having a suite, with a balcony, the views are definitely worth it.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 October 2011

My boyfriend treated me to this fantastic holiday for my 40th! we had a great 4 days here where we took a boat trip around the amalfi coast, we swam in the sea and in the caves which was amazing , we also had a lovely meal on the trip which was out of this world 4 course meal would strongly recommend this day trip. The hotel villa franca was a fantastic choice to stay, the rooms were a little small but very tasteful, the staff were friendly and helpful and the food was great, we really enjoyed the beautiful vews in positano and we would love to go back someday ;)

Room Tip: Make sure you get a sea view, well worth the extra money.
Reviewed 4 October 2011

We stayed at this hotel for the last week of September having booked with Thomas Cook.
The hotel is lovely and enjoys a beautiful location above Positano with wonderful views of the Amalfi Coast. Our room was quite small, but very tastefully appointed and our balcony overlooked the coast.
On the whole the staff were super although the guy serving at the pool bar could do with a refresher course in client relations!
The Hotel restaurant was excellent. A little pricey, but delicious menu choices. Our favourite was the veal chop followed but a dessert of whiskey Delizia or tiramisu. The restaurant staff were attentive and courteous.
If you plan to hire a car while in Positano I would strongly advise against Positano Car Rental. The English lady who delivered the car was super but her boss was, in our view, a nasty piece of work. When I was taken to the car to check it out with the English lady I had difficulty opening the door. She told me that it needed a hard tug - as did the passengeer door. Clearly the mechanism was a bit worn. I parked the car in PCR's garage that evening. When we went to collect it the following morning the boss man met us and immediately accused me of breaking his car door and said that he had had to have it repaired. I vigorously denied it but he insisted so I asked him to send for the lady who delivered the car. When she arrived she tried to explain to him that the door had been a problem, but he would have none of it. Thinking that if I continued with the car he might well accuse me of other damage so I demanded that the rest of the rental be returned - and he returned it. Use Avis or another big company would be my advice.
Back to the hotel...the only disadvantage is the long walk into the town centre down a narrow and busy road although the hotel provides a free shuttle in the morning and evening which was a great help.

Room Tip: South view rooms give an excellent view of the coast.
Reviewed 26 September 2011

What a fantastic hotel. We spent a week in September 2011 in a room with panoramic view. Staff were very helpful and friendly. Service was excellent. Location is sensational. There are over 600 steps down to the harbour / beach area and its a pleasant walk if you have the energy to do it. If not the hotel has a shuttle service and there is also a bus service that stops just 50mtrs from the hotel. We hired a car but unless you want to tour every day you can get about by using the bus service and the ferry services from the beach. Restuarant Mediteraneo (out of the hotel and walk down the hill) was excellent value and food was very good. We spent a few days by the excellent pool ...we took a few beers and bottles of water beause the prices at the pool bar were steep. The staff were ok providing you are discreet and occaisonally buy a beer from the bar ! There is a small shop only 50 mtrs from the hotel. Overall great experience.

Room Tip: Rooms with panoramic view are the best.