“WOW so CHIC!”
Review of Le Sirenuse Hotel

Le Sirenuse Hotel
Ranked #8 of 38 Hotels in Positano
Reviewed 15 January 2009

This hotel is AMAZING. We had a room with a view, overlooking the adjacent church dome and the sea. The service is discreet and attentive, the pool is amazing, the food is great, the champagne bar is a great place to meet with friends. The gym is perfect.... I would highly highly recommend this hotel. There were a few honeymooners publicly displaying their affection but it wasn't too annoying. The decor is simple but very chic and breakfast in the morning is perfect, overlooking beautiful Positano.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with friends
2  Thank JamesMo

Reviewed 20 October 2008

I spent two weeks in Positano twenty five years ago and was so enchanted that I had longed to return ever since. Following an operation I decided to take a short holiday prior to further treatment commencing and without any hesitation I decided that if I was to choose one place in the world to visit, it would be Positano and that irrespective of expense, I would stay at one of the top hotels that I had gazed at in wonder as a twenty one year old ........ I chose Le Sirenuse. With such high hopes and emotion resting upon it's performance, I am happy to report that Le Sirenuse did not disappoint.

My fiance and I had booked a partial sea view and although the room was magnificent we were disappointed to be positioned behind the swimming pool where the view was extremely limited and then only visible if one stood up and peered over plant pots and bathing beauties. Upon making enquiries to the kindly and professional reception manager, we were offered a choice of another room at considerably greater expense or an alternative room at no extra charge, we chose the latter and were very happy with it.
As we were visiting in the first week of May the season was not in full swing and therefore the champagne and oyster bar was not open and the sitting areas, though elegant and comfortable, appeared cold and uninviting, as they were devoid of guests and staff.
The buffet breakfast was exceptionally good and we delighted in indulging in a glass of Bucks Fizz each morning (though we found ourselves indulging in a little more each day!). The staff were so attentive, though not intrusive, and pleasant that breakfast was an incredibly enjoyable experience and we were blessed with warm weather so were able to take it on the terrace with the incomparable view over the village and sea.
The pool area is lovely, though the staff in that area were 'patrolling' just a little too zealously and prices for drinks and snacks are exorbitant.
I had a throughly enjoyable facial in the lovely spa and yet again the female staff were delightful.
The dining room in the evening looks like an enchanted forest with hundreds of candles flickering and I felt myself transported to another world. Unfortunately the romance of the muted light resulted in a very serious inability to read the menu! We were both very disappointed with our meal and the prices charged are truly appetite suppressing! A great shame as I had packed a different glamorous outfit to wear each evening with the expectation of dining there, as it was we reluctantly decided to dine elsewhere each evening and it was a bit of a struggle to find anywhere satisfactory.

Our week passed all too quickly. Le Sirenuse was the perfect adjuvant therapy: a truly lovely experience thanks to it's wonderful location, tasteful and elegant decor and charming, professional staff.
As for Positano ...... it had thankfully changed little in the intervening years and it still holds a very special place in my heart.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank champagnesliv
Reviewed 20 October 2008

My Husband and I stayed at Le Sirenuse on our honeymoon. We also stayed at JK Place in Capri and Kirini in Santorini Greece. Le Sirenuse was reccomended by a lot of friends that had stayed there in the past. We were expecting it to be the best hotel that we stayed at on our trip, and it just didn't hold up to our expectations. The other hotels really blew us away in service, decor and comfort and Le Sirenuse although wonderful was not as top notch. If we had only gone to Le Sirenuse than we wouldn't be able to compare and maybe we would not feel the same way? I think the biggest thing for us was feeling like we were in a hotel- it is loud and crowded and busy. The pool needs a makeover pretty badly. As I said we still had a great vacation there, but it was not the WOW that we had envisioned. The restaurant was great, I would reccomend having dinner there one night, it was delicious and some of the best food we had in Italy. The service at the restaurant is superb, they remember your name and room number and are very kind. In the evenings they turn one of the rooms into an "oyster bar" and the oysters were very good and they had a lot of cocktails to chose from which made it sort of trendy....but they were playing music like the Hotel Costes and it was a huge disconnect listening to electronic music and sitting on an antique couch. I think they are in bind where they want to be this top notch hotel, but they would need a major renovation so they are caught between being the old world Italian family owned hotel and being hip and modern. The antiques are beautiful, and you feel like you are in the movie Life is Beautiful but it is missing the freshness that I feel a five star hotel needs. The rooms are where you really feel this- the beds are awful. They are very typical of European hotels and hard and stiff and very dissapointing. We were also freezing and asked for a better blanket and they never gave us one. The sheets are linen which we don't like but at least they gave us the option to have them switched to cotton and we did that after the first night. That being said the location is excellent, the view is fabulous. The spa is top notch and we both had very good massages.The hotel boats are great, and you should go out at least once. In the mornng they cruise down towards Ravello and in the afternoons they go north towards Capri. They stop and you can snorkle and swim, and its complimentary. Dinner in town was very good too, we went to Max which was excellent- amazing Lasagna. We also went to Chez Black which was good for basic spaghetti. One night we had a car take us to Donna Rossa up in the mountains and the food was delicious and its a romantic spot. One thing to know is that all the tips are added on to your bill when you leave so you should not feel obligated to tip heavily- we did, especially at the spa, then we saw on our bill when we left that the masseus's tip was added on. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
6  Thank deirdrec
Reviewed 16 October 2008

We stayed two nights at La Sirenuse (October 7-9 2008). I had high expectations for this hotel and they were all met. When you pay an exorbitant amount of money for a hotel room then you expect a lot as far as quality and luxury of the accomodations and most importantly service. Le Sirenuse delivered. The facilities are in impeccable condition, no peeled paint, no cracks , no rust etc, nothing. Everything clean. All materials in the hotels are marble, ceramic tiles , glass , furniture is luxurious and in pristine condition. Top of the line products everywhere. The service is outstanding, they go out of their way to help and to provide what you need. We stayed in a sea view room and the view is probably the best feature of the room and the hotel. I am including photos of room and view. The products in the bathroom were excellent and we are going to order them for personal use at our house.
If you want to have a spectacular experience in Positano stay at Le Sirenuse, you will not be dissapointed.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank jjrt325
Reviewed 15 October 2008

After seeing this hotel written up in a travel section of my local newspaper a few years ago, I have dreamed of going there. My dream came true last month when my husband and I went to Italy to celebrate our 25th Anniversary.
The rooms were lovely and the views were spectacular. I, personally, was a bit unhappy with the first room Giuseppe took us to (we booked a partial sea view room) because it was just a half-level above the pool and lounges and I wanted a bit more privacy than that when I had the doors open to enjoy the incredible views. Don't misunderstand - it's not as though anyone in the pool area would be able to see into the room - I just felt that for me, I wanted to be a bit more removed from the population. Nonetheless, we ended up upgrading to a full sea view room (entirely our choice; not a bait and switch or anything like that). He was very accommodating in finding us another room and it was spectacular!!
We have stayed at many 4 and 5 star hotel and resorts and LeSirenuse was by far the most extraordinary. Everyone was incredibly pleasant; every amenity was available (even complimentary use of an iPod with speakers in your room!), and everything was beautiful.
The only aspect I would not give a score of 100 would be dinner in their dining room. Breakfast (included) was great. If the weather is pleasant, dining is outdoors. The waitstaff was wonderful and impressive - some even remembered our names! Dinner, however, was a bit different. The dining room in the evening is just beautiful - hundreds of candles burn in the light fixtures and wall sconces. Service was actually a little too attentive for my taste. I think the biggest problem here is that the tables are round and situated so that your back is to the room and you are facing the view. But, each time they come to replenish your water or wine glass (which they do after each sip or two), they need to come between the two people sitting at the table. It got to be a bit annoying and intrusive after a little while. Also, the food was good (not outstanding), but it was extremely expensive - in fact, it was the most expensive meal we have ever had as a couple. Considering we live just outside of NY City and eat there quite ofter, this is really saying something. Not to worry, however, the concierge happily provides suggestions of other places to eat and will arrange transportation for you if it is not in walking distance. Some places they recommended actually sent a shuttle for us and brought us back after dinner!!!
I will end by saying that on our last evening there (Friday), because of the 6-hour time difference I was able to reach my travel agent to inquire about extending our stay another day. He phoned me back to say that there was no available flights until Tuesday. And so, it was with great sadness that I left the storybook town and the princess's hotel to go home on Saturday!!!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple