“Paradise”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Poseidonia Mare
Ranked #11 of 33 Hotels in Paestum
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I have been coming to this hotel since the summer 1999 when I was studying abroad in Italy. Of all the things my professor introduced me to, Paestum and Hotel Poseidonia Mare are what I loved the most. It truly is paradise. If you're looking for someplace a stone's throw from the beach, where "la dolce vita" is way of life, this is your place. From the ruins, to the local restaurants, to the buffalo farm, to the beautiful Mediterranean beach, Paestum is a hidden gem. I really can't say enough good things about the place. I will come here whenever I can until the day I die. Lastly, the staff at this place will make you feel like family. They think of everything and bend over backwards to make you feel at home. I can't even put into words the way they make you feel like one of the family. I wouldn't even consider staying someplace else if I were in the area.

Room Tip: All the rooms are similar. What's most important is that you eat the seafood from their restaura...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 2 February 2014

This is a very worn hotel. The owners were very nice and were so accommodating - but they couldn't make up for the mold on the bathroom walls and terrace. The room and bathroom smelled very musty. Towels were small and worn. Breakfast wasn't very good. Location was good if you wanted to walk to the beach. The hotel is close to the ruins. The front desk was so nice I feel badly writing this review - but I can't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TERRI SCHWARTZ
Reviewed 27 September 2013

This hotel is a real gem. It is brilliantly located, some rooms having a sea view and with easy walking distance of the amazing Greek temples on the archeological site. Local Mozzarella production is a feature. The service was excellent - the breakfasts and evening meals likewise. We went past the high season and so the hotel as with much in Paestum, was quite quiet. In addition to local sites, you can get easily into Naples, Herculaneum, Pompei and the Amalfi coast.

The rooms were very comfortable with real attention to detail in the decor. The staff were exceptionally helpful. We would strongly recommend it.

Room Tip: Some rooms face into the street, others to the rear over the garden and have a view towards the sea...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Jim T
Reviewed 18 September 2013

The staff was friendly, accommodating, and knowledgeable about the surrounding area. They suggested to go to a buffalo farm where you could see every stage of the buffalo's life and the process of how mozzarella cheese is made. We had amazing meals at the hotel including pasta with fresh vegetables and sword fish. The best part of breakfast was the spread of fresh fruit and the warm football sized cornetti. In addition, the hotel is 500 feet form a beautiful beach. I had a wonderful view of a small river coming down from the mountain to the sea.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ccaval1
Reviewed 5 September 2013

It is a lovely hotel at a five minutes walk from a good sandy beach, and about 1 km from the three wonderful Greek temples.
The staff is truly friendly, polite and very helpful. Just a few examples. As the train station is a bit far, after a phone call we were picked up at the station and took back there when we left, without extra charge. Second, next to our room there was a couple with a baby. Although we did not complain about it, the owner asked us whether we were disturbed by the crying and we were offered to change the room. We didn't, as we loved our room, but it was very thoughtful. The owner also bought our train tickets before departure. Further, during the stay, as I had finished my book and could find nothing to buy in the shops, I asked the manager just in case if there was something to read in English. To my pleasant surprise, I could choose from several books and at the departure received further reading suggestions:-)
The hotel is very nice, decorated with taste. The room was spacious and nicely furbished. It had a balcony with a view to the pine trees and (a bit of) the sea. It was great to sit there in the morning and evening. The bathroom was large, bright, equipped with all you need.
Everything was perfectly clean. Towels were changed daily. Bedsheets were changed, although we staid only 4 nights.
There is air-conditioning, a minibar and free wifi in the room.
At breakfast there is a buffet of sweets and fruits, and you are asked whether you wish to have something else (eggs, ham, cheese). Perhaps it would have been easier to have all that in the buffet, but anyway the breakfast was rich and tasty. The last two nights we decided to have dinner at the hotel and went for the fixed menu. It was nice and abundant (18 EUR/person, except the drinks).
The Greek temples are magnificent. The archaeological area and the museum are worth visiting.
The beach is quite wide, with fine sand. Unfortunately people smoke on the beach and throw the butts all over the place. The water is very, very clean and shallow for many meters. There is some discount for beach facilities for the clients of the hotel. At the end of August the area seemed to be frequented mostly by Italians; you didn't find the large numbers of foreign tourists you encounter in Rimini or in Sorrento. The place seems to be either less known or too remote to attract many people.
There are only a few shops and restaurants in the area. So the place is excellent for relaxing, but not for those who wish an intensive night life.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple