1,489 results
All reviews the grill veranda restaurant jacket and tie lake como floating pool best hotels in the world junior suite indoor pool old world linen sheets main building beautiful hotel la veranda tennis courts concierge desk george clooney magical place
Reviewed 28 October 2017

Superb luxury 5 star accommodation not far from Como centre and Milan. Offers standard, suites, penthouse and private villa accommodation with lake views and majestic garden views. Facilities are excellent with a dedicated children's pool (with sandpit), floating outdoor pool, hot tub and an indoor pool in the sporting complex.

Room Tip: Families with 2 adults and 2 children are accommodated in a junior suite in the Cardinal building. Opt for garden views for a larger room.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank dbtravel2015
Reviewed 26 October 2017

My husband and I met other family members there for 4 nights in June 2017. Everything about the hotel, its grounds, and the staff was amazing. It is the most beautiful hotel we have ever stayed in and certainly the most beautiful grounds. The staff was efficient but very warm and friendly. We have stayed in many lovely hotels in Europe, but I really hope to return to this one.
(It was a family trip, but all adults)

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank ECN_tct
Reviewed 21 October 2017

Villa d'Este is Brilliant and I would stay here again But ... perhaps the main task of any luxury hotel is to provide all the elements required for a good night's sleep. Without that your impression of a place or location can be greatly effected. Villa dEste (or at least the room we were in) has a major fault. The room did not provide for a good night's sleep. Our room was a Double Classic. Room 247. Located with a view over the rear garden it is also located over the Porte Cochere. The noise from the hotel's main entry with bags being pulled across cobbles and vehicle boots being slammed and high powered sports cars coming up from underground garage are not nullified. They are loud and can occur at any time during the night and will become very regular from early morning.
Initially thought it was due to the fact that the hotel is an old building so I just went with the flow.
At this point must state the obvious ... that is, all the other reviews are correct. VdE is a place of outstanding beauty and service. I highly recommend you stay here. Just think that anyone should check their room before taking possession of the room.
Stayed 2 nights and did not sleep well either night due to the noise. Hotel was full occupancy so other rooms not viable.
On a closer inspection I noted that room 247 has a major defect with the ability of its windows to seal when closed. They are antique and the locking mechanism is out of alignment. I think the room should be out of service until the hotel fixes it.Noise gets through even with the shutters down and heavy curtains drawn. Again, check room prior to taking possession, and perhaps any other room that overlooks the porte cochere.
One other minor aspect of the room we were in was that the shower recess was ridiculously small and I think I am being generous if I estimated that it was approx. 700mm x 700mm squared (say 2feet 4inches square). It's not a deal breaker.
Otherwise room has good facilties. Double vanity, walk in robe that can take two suitcases and adequate hanging space for both. Beds are hard (not good for side sleepers).

That said, VdE is remarkably peaceful at all other times. Service is refined but distinctly warm. Like many Italian hotels is has highly experienced older male staff in its food and beverage. They are not staid and elitest. Service is with a smile and is friendly, Bit reminiscent of having grandad making you porridge while wearing a suit.
Reception staff and all other staff are all eager to make your stay enjoyable.
Excellent attention to detail on food allergies.

Ate in both the fine dining room and also The Grill, and had lunch on the Terrace. All were excellent. Also visited the bar for pre dinner cocktails. They serve appetisers with cocktails which we found to be more than substantial. Oredr two cocktails and that would be dinner done.
Warning, fine dining requires a jacket (no problem), but, also a tie, yep - a tie. They have a selection if you don't have one. Trust me, you will want to bring your own. I get this, some of the women are dressed in full evening wear and they probably want the men to reflect that (no matter how old school it is).
The Hotel is as beautiful at night as it is during the day. The village of Cernobbio is also quaint and the walk to the ferry stop is easy and enjoyable.

Lastly, I know hotels very well where I know which rooms never to stay in and which are the best. I expect there are many people that have VdE worked out to which room suits them. Hopefully this review will assist you (and perhaps the hotel may appraise their windows during annual shut down).

Room Tip: Avoid Room 247. Ask to inspect rooms overlooking porte cochere before bags delivered.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
6  Thank TimK-M
Reviewed 18 October 2017 via mobile

The property, service and atmosphere is world class. I’ve stayed a lot of places and this place is certainly one I feel fortunate to have visited. Lake Como is beautiful and the hotel and gardens don’t disappoint. Service is fantastic. The views cannot be beat (the floating pool is awesome). The gyn is well equipped or take a hike up the hill in the gardens. Not many things better than having a coffee on the terrace at Villa d’Este. I was lucky enough to come here for a conference; I would love to return. A bucket list kind of place.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 October 2017

We loved our three days at Villa d'Este. The hotel is historic, three restaurants offer first-rate cuisine, but service was arrogant. The grounds are wonderful to walk and even to hike. We made a day-trip to Lugano, Switzerland - only an hour away.

Room Tip: request a room overlooking the lake
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple