“"Exquisite distinction"”
Review of Villa d'Este

Villa d'Este
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Cernobbio
Reviewed 15 May 2012

We choose to stay at Villa d'Este to celebrate our 26th anniversary. We wanted something very special and we weren't disappointed. We arrived early (before our room was ready) and were told to use any of the services associated with the hotel, which we gladly enjoyed starting with breakfast which was still being served to cocktails by the lake and then basking in the sun by the pool. We explored the beautiful gardens and hiked the stairs of the ruins which I highly recommend since the view is stunning. There was a wedding during our stay which made dinner extra special with an unbelievable fireworks display over the lake. The service was impeccable from every position of employment. We especially enjoyed listening to Dino Siani play in the salon off the restaurant, he was wonderful.
Our room had a wonderful view of the lake right in the center of the hotel, with an exceptional bathroom and sitting room. Definitely a 5 star hotel and then some.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 325 located in the center of the hotel viewing the lake. Lovely view!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Janet P
Write a ReviewReviews (1,376)

Reviewed 14 May 2012

So before I begin, I have to admit it was a life dream to stay at this majestic place. And you know how your dreams never play out that way in real life? Well, this was different. We spent two nights here celebrating an anniversary, and it WAS "all that". The service was top-notch. The room was lovely. Maybe the lake view helped. But it was everything: from the welcome petit-fours at tea time delivered to your room, to the perfect daily maid service and turndown, to the sumptuous breakfast buffet, it was 5-star service. I could not help but notice how hard each staff member was working to make each guest's stay a happy one. It was outrageously expensive, but this is something that I think is worth paying for. The quality of linens and food ingredients: eccelente! It is the standard by which all other places should be judged. Proper waitstaff etiquette should be taught to others by Villa d'Este staff. This was even on display during cocktail hour and tea time. I shed a very small tear at checkout, but if you are asking whether you should go, then the answer is YES. And once you get there, don't look at the price tag. Enjoy and luxuriate in your time. Swim in both pools. Hike up to the ruins. See the top of the fountains. There's a reason that it's one of the Thousand Places to See Before You Die.

Room Tip: You can hope for a merciful check-in staffer to upgrade your room. They try to if they can. You can...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AuntieJoy
Reviewed 8 May 2012

By far the most luxurious hotel I have stayed at. The rooms were so well appointed. Fresh fruit and flowers were just a few of the many extras. We did have a view of the lake which is outstanding. We had dinner in the dining room which is the epitome of service and the food was good to boot! If you want an "experience" stay a few nights and say that you have lived!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank rguilin
Reviewed 7 May 2012

I think this is just the best luxury historic hotel I have ever stayed in. The setting on Lake Como is magical and the grounds enchanting with new garden and lake discoveries around every corner. The hotel furnishings and flowers are exquisite. The formal dining room setting is picture perfect. Service is personalized, attentlve and first rate. The more casual dining room is also excellent and perfect in a luxuriously casual manner. Spa facilities also superb. Upon entering and staying at Villa D'Este, we felt like we were in our own world of classic elegance and majestic scenery.

Room Tip: We had a lakefront suite. If you are staying here, get the best room you can and forget the price.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SharonConnecticut
Reviewed 4 May 2012

My spur of the moment decision to visit Italy was made on Wednesday and I arrived in Milan the following Sunday. With no reservations other than a rental car and a hotel room near Como, I felt as free as a medieval minstrel to explore northern Italy for the next two weeks. So now, what to do?
My beautiful and well traveled friend, Clare Glace, had always dreamed of visiting Villa d'Este in Cernobbio, so I booked passage on one of Como's lake boats that would take me over to Cernobbio to view the hotel from off-shore. The town and the hotel are visible from the Como's harbor, and both are elegantly beautiful when approached in this way. Then and there I decided to have dinner in one of the finest restaurants in Europe and a few hours later, I called the hotel to reserve a table.
I explained that I would be dining alone and requested a good table outside near the lake. I was told, "Sir, I will gladly reserve a table for you, but please realize that our hotel guests are our first priority." I replied, "That is completely understandable, sir, but may I request the best table of those you have available?" "I will do my best, sir." was his reply.
I arrived at 7:30 and was greeted by name in the lobby by hotel staff. "Mr. Hutzler, welcome to Villa d'Este. We have your table prepared. Please come this way!" With that, I was led to a perfect table located within a foot or two of the railing at lake's edge. I was seated and for the next two hours, I was treated as if I was a visiting dignitary. The meal and the wine was spectacular, and the service was impeccable! I was even treated to a full moon rising over the lake near the end of the evening! It was the best dining experience of my life!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
6  Thank JimHutzler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cernobbio
19.4 km away
24.2 km away
Royal Victoria
Royal Victoria
#1 of 6 in Varenna

Been to Villa d'Este? Share your experiences!