“The Best Dining Experience of my Life”
Review of Villa d'Este

Villa d'Este
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Cernobbio
Reviewed 4 May 2012

My spur of the moment decision to visit Italy was made on Wednesday and I arrived in Milan the following Sunday. With no reservations other than a rental car and a hotel room near Como, I felt as free as a medieval minstrel to explore northern Italy for the next two weeks. So now, what to do?
My beautiful and well traveled friend, Clare Glace, had always dreamed of visiting Villa d'Este in Cernobbio, so I booked passage on one of Como's lake boats that would take me over to Cernobbio to view the hotel from off-shore. The town and the hotel are visible from the Como's harbor, and both are elegantly beautiful when approached in this way. Then and there I decided to have dinner in one of the finest restaurants in Europe and a few hours later, I called the hotel to reserve a table.
I explained that I would be dining alone and requested a good table outside near the lake. I was told, "Sir, I will gladly reserve a table for you, but please realize that our hotel guests are our first priority." I replied, "That is completely understandable, sir, but may I request the best table of those you have available?" "I will do my best, sir." was his reply.
I arrived at 7:30 and was greeted by name in the lobby by hotel staff. "Mr. Hutzler, welcome to Villa d'Este. We have your table prepared. Please come this way!" With that, I was led to a perfect table located within a foot or two of the railing at lake's edge. I was seated and for the next two hours, I was treated as if I was a visiting dignitary. The meal and the wine was spectacular, and the service was impeccable! I was even treated to a full moon rising over the lake near the end of the evening! It was the best dining experience of my life!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
6  Thank JimHutzler
Write a ReviewReviews (1,377)

Reviewed 3 May 2012

Sorry if this title has been used many times before, but it seemed appropriate. If you stay in this quality of hotel all the time, ignore my ramblings. We chose this hotel for a special couple of nights for our 20th anniversary, and were delighted with the experience. From the time the taxi went past the security man In the Arrmani suit and shades, until we left a couple of days later, it was magnificent! We had a junior suite overlooking the lake. The view is unsurpassed by anything other than the Taj Mahal at close range. The staff were extremely professional but unobtrusive and I could have spent three days exploring the gardens, (most hotels don't have their own waterfall). We had drinks on the terrace, 29 euros for 2 drinks, but with the best nibbles I have ever had. We did not eat dinner in the hotel, but the breakfasts were great. You can sneak off to a couple of really good wine shops to construct a picnic to have in your room. Certainly not a place for backpackers, but for the really wealthy or those of us who can stretch for something special, this is a fantastic spot.

Room Tip: Lake view is a must
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dkreview
Reviewed 28 April 2012

Stopped here for breakfast on the way down to Tuscany. (see travel tips)
A couple of years ago, this classic lakeside hotel was looking very tired. Now it's freshly painted and with new carpets. Also the service seems to have improves in line with the makeover.
The location is fabulous with a 100m of lake frontage and manicured gardens behind the hotel complete with cascading water.
Breakfast was sumptuous and for 35euro each, worth it in my opinion.
It can be windy at VdE which sometimes dictates whether you can eat outside or have to seek shelter inside or behind the hedges and screens.
If driving then take the left hand road after entering the hotel grounds and park above in the sporting club car park. Avoids the tight underground park garage.

Room Tip: If you are driving from Switzerland consider this sneak trick. Take the motorway exit at Chiasso...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank zaplocation
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Lake Como in itself is a fantastic site but staying at this hotel is a unique first class experience. The rooms are beautifully decorated, the staff is terrific, the concierge desk provides outstanding service and the indoor pool and spa facilities are first rate. The food is the best as is the service. Room service breakfast on a terrace overlooking Lake Como is special.

Room Tip: Lakeside views are a must and ask the concierge for great day trips.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank cosmo144
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I have been very fortunate the stay at Villa d'Este more times than I can count over the last 30 years and realised I have never written a review for TripAdvisor. The last visit was June 2011. This must surely be one of the few great hotels in the world where the standard has remained highly consistent, where there seems no apparent cost cutting, and where the staff remain the same year after year (and get older with me!). The hotel provides a complete experience which started in the 1870s and continues in its modern version to provide every comfort in a grand yet relaxed style.
The ambiance is unsurpassed created by exceptional service, every modern convenience, rooms filled with fresh flowers and antiques, pools, restaurants, gardens, and a few shops. But what shines above all this is the atmosphere that has been created - it is totally relaxing whether you are in your casuals or in your latest designer clothes from Milan. For a hotel of this calibre the treats are more intangible - like sitting on the terrace overlooking the lake as it changes colour at twilight sipping a cocktail - or sitting under one of the many gracious trees reading a favourite book, or swimming in the pools - the outdoor one on a pontoon floating on the lake, or just enjoying the aroma of the climbing jasmine etc etc.
Did I mention the pure linen sheets? (changed daily). This is a luxury rarely found these days but remains part of the tradition of Villa d'Este - as does the exceptional standard of dress of hotel staff at every level.
Yes, the breakfast and coffee exceptional. Yes, the service in the restaurants exceptional. Yes, the attention to detail exceptional. And the personal service provided by the General Manager, and Giovanna Salvadore and Annamaria Duvia of the PR Department unbelievably helpful. It is this personal attention to detail that puts Villa d'Este above the rest of the luxury European hotels. And each visit is something special. Treat yourself!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Richard R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cernobbio
19.4 km away
24.2 km away
Royal Victoria
Royal Victoria
#2 of 6 in Varenna

Been to Villa d'Este? Share your experiences!