1,473 results
All reviewsthe grillveranda restaurantjacket and tielake comofloating poolbest hotels in the worldjunior suiteindoor poolold worldlinen sheetsmain buildingbeautiful hotella verandatennis courtsconcierge deskgeorge clooneymagical place
Reviewed 16 February 2012

This hotel has everything!! It is located on Lake Como with the most breathtaking scenery ever- the alps, the lake and picture perfect villages. The grounds and gardens rival any palace and the rooms are equally famulous. No vacation spot could be more perfect. In my opinion the lake front rooms in the annex are the one's to request. Can't wait to have an opportunity to return

5  Thank Twinponds
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Our trip was fantastic and the room and service was impeccable. I would suggest that you join the "Leaders Club" from Leading Hotels as this $100/year fee afforded me an upgrade that was probably worth more than $1,500 for our stay of five days. Everyone at the resort was kind and made us feel at home. Lake Como is incredibly beautiful, but this is the pearl of the lake! Pony up the money, it is well spent.

Room Tip: Join the Leaders Club for an upgrade
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank SlickWilliam
Reviewed 5 January 2012

My parents took me here for my birthday two years ago. I went back with my partner last year because the first trip was so memorable.

Tucked away in a gorgeous village that typifies this gorgeous region of Italy, your dream stay commences when you drive through the imposing gates and down the driveway to this elegant old hotel.

Do yourself a favour and have a look at the hotel buildings before making your booking. There are two beautiful buidlings. The main buidling, dating from 1568, is called the Cardinal's building. It houses the reception and 125 rooms. The Queen's Pavilion is nearby and was build in 1860, housing a further 27 rooms. some rooms have terraces and others have views. We went for a room with a garden view and were upgraded to a suite with terrace in the Queen's Pavilion. I don't know why! Maybe because it was off season? Felt ridiculously lucky and excited. It was our second visit and the staff were so friendly online when we made the booking. It sounds silly but it felt like going home again when we returned.

There is a wonderful swimming pool that is suspended out over the lake. So while you're lying around trying to spot George Clooney on the lake do yourself a favour and forget the prices on the service menu. You didn't come here to save money and i'm going to warn you in advance if you are looking for bargains. It's not that sort of place. But it will definitely be a club sandwich and beer that you don't forget :-)

The breakfast is unforgettable. If your idea of a holiday is "peaceful oasis of calm" then you have come to the right place. The service is impeccable, too. Don't be shy about asking for advice regarding day trips on the lake or drives nearby... there is a lot to see and do if you decide to depart the gates in order to explore the region (we didn't leave the hotel at all the second time... but that was just us).

Save this for a special occasion with your special someone, look around online for special weekend packages, check in and relax. You really won't ever forget this experience. It's a once-in-a-lifetime holiday that I'm already greedily planning to revisit!

Superb.

Room Tip: Feel free to contact the staff on the phone if you want to know more about the rooms. There are two buildings and a whole host of possibilities. Treat yourself to a small balcony - i dare you. You won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank RegularTraveller2012
Reviewed 21 December 2011

This place definitely has a wow factor if you like stylish Italian architecture combined with beautiful lake views, old charm service with Italian flair, excellent cuisine and sophisticated entertainment. Perfect setting for a romantic getaway!

1  Thank Fair_opinion
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Seriously, this property is like a royal palace. Granted, it's an aged palace. But at a place like this, "age" translates as "patina." And like any good patina, it only adds to the overall beauty and character -- both of which this place has PLENTY!

We treated ourselves to a suite. And we weren't disappointed. Our private "veranda" directly overlooked Lake Como. By leaving open the double doors that opened from our room onto the veranda, we could hear the water below. You could hear the church bells ringing in town. You could hear water birds calling. It was magical.

Okay, the room has this antique, guilded feel and appearance. No, it's not "high tech," or sexy in a contemporary way. But it IS sexy!

The service is impeccable. It could be the school to which all other hotels send their staff to learn. That includes both the hotel and the restaurants.

The breakfast buffet is absolutely outstanding. A very wide array of goodies. All of which are fresh, well prepared, and well presented. Be sure to sit outside for the full effect of the environment.

There are so many enjoyable walks to be made in/around this hotel during your stay. Walk south toward town and visit the shops. Stop for some gelato along the way. Or walk up the west side of the Villa property and enjoy the cascading water garden. Or climb the hillside on the north side of the Villa property on the trails that are literally carved into the rock. Fabulous views up there await.

We ate dinner on the property, and once again, were not disappointed. The waiters brought our dinner in this incredible "wave." One waiter behind the other, each dropping off a dish in a choreographed serving procedure that was like something you'd see in a ballet. I'm totally serious. There were four waiters, one behind the other, and each dropped off a plate at our table, before moving out of the way to allow the waiter behind him to do the same. This way everything was served in elegant style, and all at once so nothing would be cold, and no person would have to wait longer than the other. WOW!!!

I can't say that I've ever stayed at any other place that made me feel so special. The amount of respect provided by every single staff member on this property is beyond impressive. They treat you like you are royalty. The valet even washed my car overnight, as I noted the next day when they brought it around to the front of the hotel. Once again, WOW!!!

We loved the floating swimming pool. It just couldn't be any more beautiful. We also loved the clay tennis courts. So much nicer to play on than asphalt, or any other surface. They are so much cooler in mid-day sun, and so much more forgiving on your feet and joints. And of course, they were impeccably maintained.

Anyone who stays at Villa D'Este will remember it the rest of their lives. Without question. If you're like us, you'll find so many amazing little details during your stay that you've never seen, or experienced at any other "hotel" in the world. I put that word "hotel" in quotes, because it's really not a hotel at all. It's a palace. Once you've stayed here, you'll totally know what I mean.

Go out of your way to stay here. You will NOT regret it!!!

3  Thank eilig