Seriously, this property is like a royal palace. Granted, it's an aged palace. But at a place like this, "age" translates as "patina." And like any good patina, it only adds to the overall beauty and character -- both of which this place has PLENTY!
We treated ourselves to a suite. And we weren't disappointed. Our private "veranda" directly overlooked Lake Como. By leaving open the double doors that opened from our room onto the veranda, we could hear the water below. You could hear the church bells ringing in town. You could hear water birds calling. It was magical.
Okay, the room has this antique, guilded feel and appearance. No, it's not "high tech," or sexy in a contemporary way. But it IS sexy!
The service is impeccable. It could be the school to which all other hotels send their staff to learn. That includes both the hotel and the restaurants.
The breakfast buffet is absolutely outstanding. A very wide array of goodies. All of which are fresh, well prepared, and well presented. Be sure to sit outside for the full effect of the environment.
There are so many enjoyable walks to be made in/around this hotel during your stay. Walk south toward town and visit the shops. Stop for some gelato along the way. Or walk up the west side of the Villa property and enjoy the cascading water garden. Or climb the hillside on the north side of the Villa property on the trails that are literally carved into the rock. Fabulous views up there await.
We ate dinner on the property, and once again, were not disappointed. The waiters brought our dinner in this incredible "wave." One waiter behind the other, each dropping off a dish in a choreographed serving procedure that was like something you'd see in a ballet. I'm totally serious. There were four waiters, one behind the other, and each dropped off a plate at our table, before moving out of the way to allow the waiter behind him to do the same. This way everything was served in elegant style, and all at once so nothing would be cold, and no person would have to wait longer than the other. WOW!!!
I can't say that I've ever stayed at any other place that made me feel so special. The amount of respect provided by every single staff member on this property is beyond impressive. They treat you like you are royalty. The valet even washed my car overnight, as I noted the next day when they brought it around to the front of the hotel. Once again, WOW!!!
We loved the floating swimming pool. It just couldn't be any more beautiful. We also loved the clay tennis courts. So much nicer to play on than asphalt, or any other surface. They are so much cooler in mid-day sun, and so much more forgiving on your feet and joints. And of course, they were impeccably maintained.
Anyone who stays at Villa D'Este will remember it the rest of their lives. Without question. If you're like us, you'll find so many amazing little details during your stay that you've never seen, or experienced at any other "hotel" in the world. I put that word "hotel" in quotes, because it's really not a hotel at all. It's a palace. Once you've stayed here, you'll totally know what I mean.
Go out of your way to stay here. You will NOT regret it!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience the splendor, the grandeur, the intrigue and the magic of Villa d'Este- an opulent hotel overlooking glorious Lake Como. Hailed as one of the best hotels in the world by Travel & Leisure, Condé Nast Traveler and Forbes Traveler, this famous resort destination has been widely praised for its beautiful gardens, exquisite cuisine, gala celebrations, impeccable décor and extraordinary hospitality. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Prestigia, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Villa d'Este reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa d`Este Hotel Cernobbio
- Hotel d Este
- d Este Hotel Cernobbio
- Villa Deste Lake Como
- Villa D'Este Lake Como/Cernobbio, Italy