“Very Fresh Seafood and a Delightful Experience”

Ristorante la Badiaccia
Cuisines: Fusion
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Ristorante con cucina tipica(carne,salumi etc..)Tutti i giorni specialita di mare in arrivo dai nostri mari.Pane e pasta fatto in casa.Carta dei vini con circa 250 etichette nazionali ed estere.
Reviewed 7 September 2015

We were looking for something other than pasta while vacationing two weeks in Umbria and this restaurant caught our attention. Although difficult to find from our GPS instructions, it is located right on SR71 - the main road leading out of Castiglione del Lago going toward the autostrata. The area is called "Badiaccia." We were greeted by the lovely owner, Elisa, who with her husband owns and runs the restaurant. We were served delicious homemade rolls with a selection of three olive oils. One was so impressive we bought a bottle to bring home! Our lunch was well prepared and fresh. My lunch was red prawns served over large, flavorful ravioli. My husband enjoyed a seafood medley of red prawns, scampi, and gnocchi. Although full from our delicious lunch, we were served a complimentary dessert of homemade cookies, Italian style. Elisa had the time to talk extensively to us as we were having a very late lunch. The service, cleanliness, freshness, and overall experience was memorable! We definitely recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 6 September 2015

We arrived without a booking, the hostess Elisa was very polite and helpful. The menu is in Italian with no English translation and our knowledge of Italian is questionable! Elisa translated beautifully for us and we were served beautiful food as we had hoped.

Highly recommended, honest, good quality food that is well priced .

Reviewed 29 August 2015 via mobile

After staying in Tuscany for almost a week, my husband and I had tons of pasta, T-bone steak, numerous cold cut and riboliita (vegetable soup). We were really looking for something different and less traditional. When we looked at the menu, we know we are at the right place. It is hand-written because (we were told) the menu changes once every other week depending on the season and availability. Ha, as a big fan of Japanese food, we strongly believe fresh produce is the key to any cuisine.

We ordered smoked duck breast with Granny Smith apple slices and mixed green salad, gnocchi with melon filling and scampi/shrimp (it is not exactly gnocchi but sorry we can't type or read Italian), butterfly pasta with mixed shell fish. Our hostess explained the duck has stronger flavor so suggested eating it after pasta. Great suggestion!

Melon filling is a bit sweet, which goes so well with fresh and savory seafood. Bold and delicious! I can't describe the wonderful mix feeling so you will have to try yourself. The filling changes every season - strawberry is used in the winter. Smoked duck breast is thinly sliced, coupled with thin slices of little sour green apples, ahhhh, epic! Usually we have doubts in food with fruits or fusion food but this time everything just goes so well. This is not a normal restaurant. We feel it deserves a couple Michelin star.

If we have to pick one weakness (as the Chinese saying goes - pick a bone out of eggs, meaning being extremely picky), I would say the portion of the butterfly pasta is too much. Also to become a Michelin restaurant, they will need to work on the presentation. For a restaurant in Italy country side, this is hearty, delicious, creative and above all, yummy!

Reviewed 22 August 2015

Very, very good restaurant for a relatively small campsite. Special starters were very generous, and very good.

Reviewed 15 August 2015

After my second visit to this restaurant I would say it is a great find and I will definitely be back again and again! There is an extensive surf as well as turf menu so it's perfect if you have to cater for a variety of tastes. Both times I've had fish. This is their speciality and they present both innovative and simple dishes, well cooked, well presented and above all with an almost obsessive attention to exellence in the raw materials. There is attention to detail throughout the meal both from the kitchen (everything that can be homemade is: bread, pasta, desserts) and in the diningroom. The wine list is also extremely interesting, and Elisa (one of the owners) is really knowledgable and helpful when it comes to assisting you in both making and appreciating your choice. If you are visiting as a tourist this is a place where those who are interested can really learn something about local food if you have a chance to have a chat with Elisa. Desserts are, as I said, homemade and if you have a sweet tooth I would certainly recommend saving a little space for the end of the meal. Other reviewers have said that the value for money isn't great but I think you have to consider the quality you are paying for. This is not the place to come if you are looking for a cheap meal out but I think the prices are more than honest. Eating fish in Umbria is never going to be cheap!! Only negative point I would make is that the restaurant is quite near to a busy road making the outdoor dining area a little too noisey for a relaxing meal, although this is perhaps better in the evening when the road is quieter (both my visits were at lunchtime).

1  Thank Osla_on_holiday