1,091 results
All reviews four poster bed fan heater farmers bar beautiful building sunday carvery wedding venue evening meal wedding reception lovely setting lady on reception black pudding food was fantastic lovely room short break following morning cooked to perfection full english breakfast
Reviewed 21 November 2016

We stayed here for a weekend using the Secret Escapes dinner bed and breakfast offer. The Castle room we stayed in was very spacious and very well equipped. However, on a cold winter weekend, it was hard to get the room warm and it was rather dark, in fact it was almost impossible to read.
Dinners and breakfasts in the Farmers Bar were very adequate but we found the service rather slow on Saturday evening and Sunday morning. The staff were pleasant and helpful throughout.
The hotel is well located for visiting Barnard Castle, Bishop Auckland, Durham and Teesdale. Overall, the weekend was very good value using the special offer and the hotel is a remarkable building which lives up to the pictures online! We would return in the future.

1  Thank baham c
Rachel S, Owner at Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2016

Dear baham c,

Thank you for your recent review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I do take on board your comments, although there are fan heaters available in every bedroom. I am delighted that you found all the staff to be helpful and we look forward to you returning again in the near future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 10 November 2016

My wife and have just returned home after a three night stay at Walworth Castle Hotel which we found most relaxing and and we have to say that it is certainly an excellent choice for those seeking somewhere different with an abundance of character thrown in.

Having not stayed in this area before, it allowed us to explore around Darlington and the surrounding countryside which was idyllic with autumn colours all around.

Certainly a good base to take in the attractions on offer in this north east corner of England.

We arrived on Sunday and were early enough to partake of the excellent Sunday Carvery on offer in the bar area. Absolutely outstanding!

The breakfasts and evening meals during our stay were also quite wonderful.....compliments to the chef.

We were staying in the West Wing (annexe) and although the room was quite small, it was more than adequate for us with everything you could want in the way of facilities.

Everyone of the staff were excellent and most attentive throughout our stay and made us really feel most welcome.

There is a Birds of Prey Centre in the grounds which unfortunately had closed for the Winter a few days before our arrival, but we hope to visit it another day, when we return for another stay at this venue in Springtime.

DEFINITELY RECOMMEND to travellers in this area.

Robert and Anna

Room tip: Ask about room sizes if you are fussy, otherwise just enjoy the excellent venue.
2  Thank rmackenzie1
Rachel S, Owner at Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2016

Dear Robert and Anna,

Thank you for your choosing to stay with us in order to explore the Darlington area, and for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. I will pass your comments about the food to our chefs who I am sure will be delighted with the feedback, as well as all other members of our team who helped to make your stay so memorable. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future, and hopefully you will be able to visit the birds of prey centre located within the grounds.

Reviewed 9 November 2016 via mobile

My husband and I chose this hotel for our wedding after we had been for an overnight stay to celebrate his birthday. We loved the location and the uniqueness of the function room. We are so glad that we did! The wedding package we chose catered for 75 day and 100 evening guests and was extremely good value for money. On the run up to the wedding we visited a number of times, making payments, having lunch, afternoon tea, wedding exhibitions and left after each visit more and more excited about our big day knowing that we were in such good hands. We booked last November and married in October and in the August the management changed and we were informed a new events organiser would be taking over. We were nervous at first but once we met Ailsa it was obvious we were in for a treat, she is someone you instantly warm to with her friendly, chatty, giggly approach but is also extremely organised and looked after every little detail, even helping to decorate the tables and tie the chair sashes.
I stayed over with my bridesmaids the night before and had a meal with them and my parents in the hotel restaurant. the food was sublime and the service impeccable- just what we needed before the big day!
The wedding day itself was a dream, Steve looked after us through the day and Andrew took over for the evening. Both were amazing,nothing was too much trouble and they were always on hand to communicate things across to us. My husband and I both work in hospitality and really can't stress enough how important that is and how great these guys are.
The food was amazing and plentiful and the hot food was all served lovely and hot. One guest who had her 18month son with her said to me afterwards that when the starter was served (Cumberland sausage in Yorkshire pudding) she was asked if she wanted the baby bowl served at that time or with the main course. She said I thought this was the main course! Very happy camper.
The hotel also have the option of a resident DJ and he was brilliant. We had been in touch before to tell him the kind of stuff we liked and he couldn't have done a better job keeping everyone on the dance floor.
I could sing the praises of this hotel all day but I need to go and book it for my 30th next month! If you are looking for a wedding venue and have any doubts about this place just go and chat to the staff and your mind will be made up.
Thanks again to all the staff at Walworth for making our day so special

Date of stay: October 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Emma B

Dear Emma B,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of our hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your wedding so much and I really appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your experience. I know you have emailed Ailsa directly, but I will ensure the rest of the team are aware of your review and I am sure they will be thrilled with your comments. Again, thank you and we look forward to seeing you for your 30th birthday next month!

Kind Regards

Reviewed 8 November 2016

Booked Walworth Castle for our daughter`s wedding last Saturday, what an inspired choice it turned out to be. We couldn`t` fault the building, the rooms, the service, the food and the attitude of all the staff, from the general manager to the waiters. We had a couple of guests who had special eating requirements these requirements were expertly dealt with, nothing seemed to be a problem. We had a buffet on the night and everybody commented on the quality, quantity and choice of food available.The main meal after the service was of exceptional quality also, the dessert was presented that well it was a shame to eat it!! One of the guests asked about the dungeons, 5 minutes later the staff took anybody who wanted a look down into the dungeons. They didn't need to do this, we all greatly appreciated the gesture.
As a wedding package Walworth Castle is excellent value for money and we would not hesitate in recommending this venue for that purpose.
Thank you to all at Walworth Castle for making a special day even more special.

Just one small request, maybe some tea making facilities in the rooms.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank kwakakid
Rachel S, Owner at Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2016

Dear kwakakid,

Firstly thank you for choosing our hotel to host such a special occasion. I am absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us. We really appreciate your feedback and I will pass your comments onto all the team, who I am sure will be thrilled with what you have said. I notice your comment about the tea making facilities in the room. All our rooms do have tea and coffee making facilities, I am sorry if you didn't see them. Again, thank you so much for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 7 November 2016

Avoid room 31 on the top floor, what a disappointment, not enough room to swing a cat and expensive at over £100. We were shocked to say the least. Had a meal in the bar which was quick to be served but quite nice. Breakfast was okay. Really disappointed with the accommodation, rest of the hotel was acceptable.

Date of stay: October 2016
2  Thank debzz76

Dear debzz76,

I am sorry that you were disappointed with the room which you were allocated. Room 31 is one of our smaller rooms, but it does still have all the same facilities as the larger room, albeit a little bit more cosy. I hope that this experience has not put you off from staying with us again in the future. Should you like to stay with us again please do contact us directly and we can talk you through the rooms which are available, as many of our rooms are of different shapes and sizes.

Rachel