“Looking for Mimetes hottentoticus ”

Hottentots Holland Nature Reserve
Book In Advance
More Info
USD 84.92*
and up
Full-Day Zip-Line, Cheetahs and Wine Adventure...
Ranked #5 of 18 things to do in Grabouw
Reviewed 11 December 2015 via mobile

En route to Cape Town I called the telephone number given on the Internet
A very friendly lady explained exactly how to get there.
The following morning I arrived at 8am and was delighted by great service at reception
Numerous youngsters were checking in to do the Kloofing at Suicide Gorge
I was directed to the parking lot and went to the start of the zip line/kloofing office
What friendly and informative people work there
Had a snack at the make shift restaurant and heed off on the Palmiet walk towards suicide gorge
The trip can be seen only as an aperitif fir more to come
This is a World Heritage Site and there is definitely a need to spend far more time there
Slack Packing is on offer and we will investigate further
I walked to the rock pools and enjoyed wonderful FYNBOS insects and birds
It started to get hot and I was lucky to get a lift pack from a Driver working for the kloofing operation
He excitedly told me exactly where I needed to go to find the Mimetes
I hope to do this next week as they are in full flower

Reviewed 31 March 2015 via mobile

I did the Zip line on Monday 23 March 2015...most majestic experience ever. The weather was perfect and the tour guides superb. Clinton, Jeff and Charlton made us feel like friends instead of guests. The springbok pie afterward was unfinishable. Never in my life did I enjoy a pie like that. Thank you staff of Cape Canopy Tour for your hospitality and professionalism. Much appreciated. I hope that their tour will grow from strenght to strenght. The only add on I suggest is taking of photos and perhaps one video to include in cost.

Reviewed 7 February 2015

Had a terrific walk from Nuweberg to Boesmanskloof Hut (8.5 hrs) via Palmiet Trail. It was long but stunning, especially the views from Pufaddernek down to the hut, which must be 600m below and 2 hrs away. Lots of proteas and sunbirds. Trail could be better marked though since one doesn't want to get lost so far from civilisation.

Walked back the next day via Orchard Route, which was crap - just views over a farm; dunno why the nature reserve offer this cos it has little to do with wilderness and nature.

The hut was very basic - just bunk beds with mattresses in a wooden hut, and 2 water tanks; that's it! Would be nice if they had a shower at least.

The office looked after some of my belongings cos it seems they have had security incidents in the car park recently.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

...again not well managed, see Helderberg Nature Reserve. Signs are almost not there and if, they partly are contradictionary. What are all those folks doing who obviously work for the Nature Reserve besides collecting the entrance fees and filling out templates for security reasons? Where's the logic in it?
We see it as a big danger to allow hiking in such a big Reserve without clear and idiot-proof marking of the different trails. Look at Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens and learn from them!

We could not enjoy the beauty of this park as we needed to stay on broad gravel roads in an area where all trees were recently cleared. Thus we made sure that we didn't lose compass.. Very disappointing!

3  Thank Dils2003