“A tiny slice of paradise”

The Sunset Beach Resort & Spa, Taling Ngam
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Taling Ngam
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
“A tiny slice of paradise”
Reviewed 13 February 2012

What makes the perfect trip ? For my wife and myself on our 4th Wedding Anniversary and my birthday combined, the tropical paradise of Koh Samui! What made it special :
1)- the staff at the Sunset Beach resort at Taling Ngam!From the GM Chat, to Jarat & Milk at the front office, Koh & Keng & the lady who made the perfect omlette at the breakfast table every morning - all of them just made it the most relaxed,friendly and welcome Thai vacation! what a great boutique hotel in the best spot available. They give you the most genuine advice and really care ! Also gave us a late checkout as the flight back was at 6pm.from Samui to Bangkok.
2)Property has a good pool,great rooms - the deluxe rooms with the Jacuzzi has the best views, internet access,super beach front, you can walk at least 500m in one direction,Gym on top a hill ! birds eye view, Its 40min from the airport in a fabulous location next to the Intercontinental which is the most expensive property on this stretch.
3) 5 nights , remote beach, great view from room 7, 5 island view, Jacuzzi in the room, great pool,two wheelers for hire, 35 minutes by bikes to Lamai Beach ( easily the most lively street at night) , and the same to Nathon Pier, great for lunch !. ( Chaweng is overhyped).
4) Food is cheap & delicious , beer is plenty, sunshine,water, & the warmth of the people free and memories priceless! For every budget !
Koh Samui rocks in Jan-Feb and the best season to visit I guess not too hot or cold and just totally laid back and chilled out - dont carry too much luggage - plenty of 7 to 11 and 24hr stores across this Island ! you get everything you need !

1 Thank Amit G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Thai first
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed 12 February 2012

What can I write in a review that others might have not written so far?

Well I will tell you:
The Sunset Beach Resort and Spa - before named Ban Sabai Sunset Resort and Spa Hotel, has had a very hard time in the last two years. The giant Intercontinental Hotel beside was completely teared down and rebuild. And so the reputation of this hotel which used to be one of the TOP 10 places in Asia for Honeymooners and for Romance seeking people was demolished. The noises of the construction made the visitors so angry, that the beautiful pearl dropped from the Number 1 rank in Koh Samui, the Number 1 place for Honeymooners in Thailand, the number 1 place of ASIA for Sunset Experiences and a Top 10 ranking for Honeymooners in Asia to a poor place number 25 in Koh Samui, not ranked significantly in Thailand or Asia anymore. How do I know that - well the Hotel Manager and the employers told me the story. And looking around and reading some older reviews I can count one and one together!
Further - when I like a place - I fight for it. And this place is a must go.
Now it is time to review this hotel please understand that my mother language is German, and so there might be some smaller mistakes in this text. I apologize right in advance if this is the case.
I really must say my partner and myself we loved the place. And the other couple travelling with us,loved the place too.
The Sunset experiences every day about 30 minutes are so fabulous, so exiting, you will never ever forget that. (I have added 2 pictures which will make this very clear!)
The little resort has not more than a total of 30 rooms and bungalows. It is a family atmosphere where ever you go. (My pictures give an overview). The staff is trying to make the impossible possible and the manager is a really great help. Polite and with a lot of knowledge he can solve any problem which appears. What ever we asked for, what ever wish we had, they made it possible. And when we had a problem - the team solved it. Not that there were many - only some smaller things like a weak Wireless Internet Connection or the key.
Now back to the Resort itself and the atmosphere:
You can even have a Sunset Dinner at the Beach. Or a romantic one at the Beach when it's dark surrounded by candles and torches, 5 meters from the ocean. The noise is so lovely, the atmosphere unique. You can watch some local villagers hunting for crabs and squids in the lower water - the green and yellow and white lights they carry with them make the scene even more fancy.
The pool area is nice, a bar offers drinks in the pool or outside the pool, several chairs invite to read and chill in the sun.
The restaurant which offers breakfast, lunch and dinner is named L'Ananas and offers Thai food, Sea food and International food.
The food is really lovely and optically very nice, the taste very good, only one dish wasn't my taste, the seafood salad as it had too much skin on the fish, but that is a subjective thing.
For Thai Food lovers the special Tip:
Try the Larb Tuna Salad! Or the Avocado Crab Salad if you are more Eurasian orientated.
The breakfast has a huge choice, an egg station, several fresh juices, danish pastries, cheeses, cold cutting selection with ham, salami, bologna, turkey breast - you find cereals, different dry and fresh fruits, yoghurt and many other things too. I will ad some pictures.
The Jakuzzi Rooms in the main building ( which has 11 rooms) is offering a big king sized bed, a bath tube with jakuzzi function and a little waterfall, seperate shower and toilet and two sinks.
There is free Wireless Lan connection (sometimes instabile) and a nice balcony. The bed is my only complaint, as the matress was so hard, that I had back pain every morning, when I got up. But this - I figured - is a general problem in Thailand's Hotels and Resorts. Only some hotel chains under European or American management have contracts with Slumberland or Sleeky who offer for Thailand the most comfortable beds and matress'. That is the only thing which should be changed in my eyes - but also a very subjective point as others like hard matress' and or beds.
The place itself, where the Hotel is located, is a stone throw from the brand new built Intercontinental 5 star Resort. You should know that Taling Ngam is quite far away from Night Life and Action. It is the (South) Western part of the Island. The Hotel rents motorbikes, but when you drink - the roads in Samui are bad - and the traffic is dangerous, better order a Taxi. Make sure to have enough funds when you choose this place and want to go out! So that you can reach the Night Life areas and those where action is offered. (Of course if you are interested in that only.)
For people who love Watersports the Hotel offers quite nice choices. They have an own Motorboat with a 150 horsepowers Yamaha Outboarder for 7 people. We 4 chose the 5 hours snorkeling trip and we loved it. The trip costs an additional 7000 THB for the whole group. We saw beside Stingrays, small Sharks, Morenas, Octopus' and many other interesting Flora and Fauna in the ocean. After 90 minutes we were brought to a nice small island with a beautiful white sandy beach to relax and had some snacks. Unfortunately that small Island is quite frequented and other folks are yelling, smoking and throwing their garbage around, so that the place wasn't so beautiful anymore. But we had the chance to shoot very beautiful pictures at this place. After our break we went to catch some fishes, but had no fortune.
The hotel also offered a cocktail party with free food and drinks on the beach at Tuesday Night and it was a great experience too.
When you are interested in catching really huge fishes, not too far from the Hotel, about 5 minutes with the car there is the Top Cats Fishing Park Samui. You can catch fishes up to 80 kgs there and professional fishing guides help you, that the 6 hours you are there, will be a good time. (See my review about this place too.)
Try the Spa to have the perfect recreation - the Hotel Resort offered a Valentines Chocolate Special for Couples which we really loved!
The Sunset Beach Resort and Spa Taling Ngam is the best place you can find. Compared with the rates of the Intercontinental Hotel beside the place is much more valueable and much more beautiful.(See my extra review about the Spa.)
We stayed 3 days from the 6th to the 9th of February in The Sunset Beach Resort and Spa and we are very sure, that we will come back in the next 12 month.
In my whole life there were only 3 Hotels and Resorts in the world which I enjoyed so much, this now is belonging to my personal Top 4 places.
The rooms have a small working desk, have a huge cupboard, a hair dryer, a room safe and the mini bar offers complimentary 2 bottles of 0.5 liters of drinking water each day, further an additional 2 bottles for tooth brushing. As the fridge is a little bigger than usual hotel mini bar fridges you can easily store some own snacks inside too.
Make sure to have enough anti moscito spray with you, the tablet electronic moscito protection is not as effective as you might want it. I recommend the Jaico Roller or Lemongrass Spray.
The bungalows are even more beautiful, especially the very big ones directly with access to the beach and partly open garden areas.
Reviews in which bungalow users told that people from the main building can see them in the private garden, when they might be naked - NOT TRUE. I checked that, as I consider for my next visit to use one of the bungalows. And I am person who dislikes to be watched of others. So please don't believe everything some people write - I figured anyway that some people have unbelievable opinions and their reviews seem far away from reality.
One final comment - I don't understand some comments when people complaint about the Jakuzzi in the rooms with the waterfall. If you are acting clumsy and not careful - of course the whole room is under water. Sometimes people should check things out before just using them. But it is very easy to complaint and make everybody else responsible for the own dumbness..........
I really love this little place and I feel very sad and bad that the hotel dropped in the reviews but also the travellers choices from a high rank to a lower rank due to construction problems from competitors.
As the place is now free of this 2 years trouble - check it out - you will believe me - there is nothing better than this.
It is always better to support smaller places as those offer you much better possibilities than the big ones ever can.
I made some pictures of the place so that you can get a better impression of this beautiful hotel. I did not make pictures of the rooms as I know that so many pictures have been made only of the hotel room. I guess it is not interesting to see the TV with DVD Player, the shower, the toilet, the sinks or the jakuzzi. This is all to see at the website of the hotel very well.
How ever if you want a picture of the hotel room I can offer those too, just contact me in private if you are interested.

*Room rates 2012-2013*

06th of January to 06th of April
Sunset Jacuzzi 7000 THB
Sunset Jacuzzi Deluxe 7500 THB
Garden Jacuzzi Villa 12500 THB
Beach Front Pool Villa 18800 THB

07th of April to 30th of June (same rooms as before)
5400 THB, 5900 THB, 9800 THB, 15500 THB

1st of July to 31st of August (same rooms as before)
7000 THB, 7500 THB, 12500 THB, 18800 THB

1st of September to 31st of October (same rooms as before)
5900 THB, 6400 THB, 11300 THB, 17500 THB

1st of November to 21st of December (same rooms as before
5400 THB, 5900 THB, 9800 THB, 15500 THB

22nd of December to 5th of January 2013 (same rooms as before)
8500 THB, 9000 THB, 15000 THB, 24000 THB
These rates include breakfast for two people and 17 percent service charge

Additional the hotel charges for an extra bed/extra person in the room 1500 THB with breakfast

Breakfast for people visiting the resort from outside 450 THB
Lunch 900 THB
Dinner 1300 THB

(*Source: Hotel own flyer - given at the reception to guests, I hope I made no mistakes copying the rates but it might be possible)

Room Tip: All rooms are good, but the Bungalows with Beach access are for sure the best!
1 Thank Dirk W
West Linn, Oregon
Reviewed 11 February 2012

We did not stay at this resor but we visited for sundowners and dinner on the beach. It was superb. Whle not the greatest swimming beach (shallow and a little weedy) it is beautiful, deserted and the sunset is spectacular. The staff welcomed us wtih open arms, set us a gorgeous table on the beach for dinner, and promptly served us a delicious meal. It was a little more spendy than usual in Thailand, but the atmosphere and awesome presentation more than justified the extra dollars. Truly and evening to cherish!

Room Tip: The beachfront villas are very private, each with their own enclosed garden
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 5 February 2012

At our our arrival we were kindly welcomed by Mr Jaras and Mr Plodwong,
The staff right away offer their availability in making our staying confortable and nice,
the room are spacious, well designed and clean, with Jacuzzi bath!
The resort is located in the south west part of the island, also knows as the Virgin Coast, largely unspoiled and with breath taking beaches..
A great place to enjoy Thai hospitality and relaxing time..

1 Thank LauraP293918
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 3 February 2012

We spent 5 nights at the resort and completely enjoyed. The staff were always very friendly, consistently ensuring that we were comfortable and always delivering on our requests. The beach was absolutely amazing and the large swimming pool allowed the adults to relax at one end and the kids to play at the other. We stayed in a garden villa that had lots of privacy with our own bungalow and outdoor spa. The resort is on the quiet side of the island which was perfect for us, really wanting somewhere to unwind and relax without crowds. We did feel the need to explore a little so the front desk organised a hire car with pickup and drop off at the resort. It took about 40 minutes to drive to Lamai and we found this the perfect way to get around the island for a day trip with the family. The front desk also organised a snorkelling day trip for us, again with pickup and drop off at the resort. There was some construction work going on at the resort next door with some noise during the day but this was very minimal and didn't really impact on our time at the resort.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
#6 of 185 in Bophut
0.2 km away
InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort
14.2 km away
Sensimar Koh Samui (Adults Only Resort)
12.0 km away
Code
Code
#1 of 30 in Mae Nam

Been to The Sunset Beach Resort & Spa, Taling Ngam? Share your experiences!