Booked 6 days of the wellness spa pacakage and cycle core yoga. Left 2 days before the check out date ( and no one really inquired why...).
The property was surprisingly small at a nice beach in the southern quiet part of Samui. Swimming pool is very very small. Not enough parasols at the swimming pool or at the beach so it is very hard to spend there the time between classes. This is very dissapointing when the place aspires to be an health center and does not provide enough protection against the strong sun of Samui.
I enjoyed the morning pranayama class and the two daily yoga classes as well. The teachers were very good, however they didn't give enough saftey instructions so I would not recommend beginners to go there. The restorative yoga class in the afternoon was very nice and relaxing.
Yoga shalas are beautiful, however we did not practice on the one that is on the beach because of a workshop that was held there.
Spa treatments were nice, but I had better ones in other places on the island.
Rooms are clean and very basic. Please note that rooms on the ground floor do not have enough privacy. Air conditioning in the room was very noisy and loud and did not cool the room enough (more guests had the same complaint).
The reception service was very rude and unhelpful, when approached them with problems (and there were some problems).
Another issue that I found disturbing was that they do not provide yoga mats or towels for yoga practice (you can buy in their shop. The prices are extremely high and are not Thailand prices). Also bring a bottle of water with you, because if you do not have you will have to buy a plastic one in their shop. I appreciate the eco friendly attitude, but the place seems to be motivated more by money making considerations (which is fine but it is what it is).
Guests of the place are wonderful people from all over the world. They have a great part in creating a nice atmosphere.
Lastly, the food. One of the best things in the retreat was the wonderful amazing vegan and vegetarian food and there was plenty of it.
Bottom line - just okay. At the price you pay here you can book one of the most luxurious resorts on the island or improving your yoga practice somewhere else. I did not feel that I received enough value for the money paid. Maybe if you are doing a group retreat/ workshop you can enjoy Samahita better.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Samahita Retreat, the lifestyle retreat center for yoga, fitness and detox, was established in 2003 on the island of Koh Samui, and has been called by many a "hidden gem" located on the quiet beach of Bang Kao. Owned and directed by Master yogi, educator and researcher, Paul Dallaghan, our yoga and wellness retreat center has been a location for practice, learning and holiday for literally tens of thousands of guests from all walks of life over the years. Being the original Yoga Thailand, our center has grown and developed over the years and now encompasses a wellness center as well as its traditional yoga offerings. The name Samahita is translated from Sanskrit as "centered" or "balanced". To find balance is key - in daily habits, in weight management, in dealing with stress.. Samahita Retreat's clear and dedicated purpose is 'to provide both the tools to work on yourself through specific practices and dedicated programs as well as the environment within to learn, change and renew. Choose from Fixed-date programs such as group yoga retreats or trainings or Flexi-date programs such as the integrated yoga & fitness YogaCoreCycle, health focused programs: detox, de-stress or weight loss. This all inclusive beach resort features 40 rooms suited for single travelers, couples and families. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Samahita Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Samahita Yoga Thailand Retreat Hotel Koh Samui
- Samahita Retreat Ko Samui/Taling Ngam, Asia