Did the 7 day Healthy Weight Wellness Program. Lost between 3-4 kgs in 7 days. You will feel energized and relaxed by the 2nd or 3rd day!
***Overall Feedback - Truly excellent experience - lots of fitness, healthy eating, pampering treatments, detox (steam, infrared sauna and colon hydrotherapy). The program is well organized and balanced. On arrival, you will receive a bag, water bottle, stevia, coconut oil, weight loss supplements, cookbook, and booklet with your daily schedule and information. You will have a full schedule of supplements, exercise, yoga, treatments, vegetable & coconut juices, 3 meals, 3 snacks (optional), cooking class, and it's great - you don't have time to be hungry or bored! The massage and treatments are perfection - you really will feel pampered. The environment is tranquil, very relaxing and cozy - although the schedule is packed, you do have time to take a swim, read a book, nap or walk on the beach. (I didn't have time though to take an excursion to explore Koh Samui - would stay one more day to do this). Recommend you arrive in the morning or night before starting the program, so you can have the full 7 days of the program. The rooms are grounds are clean and well maintained. ****
Price - Euro 1310 for the 7 day package. I thought it was reasonable price for the package and with money well spent given all the care and treatments you are receiving.
630am - Beach walk and stretching
730am - Yoga breathwork
800am - 930am - Yoga
930-1015am - free time
1000am - meet with wellness team
1015-11am - Breakfast
2-4pm Juice, Coconut Water, Gotu Kola Shot
3-4pm - Fitness class
4-5pm- Free time
745pm - Meditation (Tues, Thurs, Sun)
The steam room was available from 6-8pm but my schedule was so packed I only had time to do it 2 times. You don't have to do all the fitness or yoga classes. On Saturday - its considered rest day and there was no fitness class and only light yoga.
Fitness - The fitness trainer, So, is very friendly and explains the different exercises and muscle groups you will be working. The 630am beach walk starts and ends with stretching. In the afternoon class may use fitness ball, dumbbells, circuit training, and bicycle.
Yoga - Morning yoga starts with 30 minutes breathing exercise and 90 minute yoga. Afternoon yoga is restorative and light. You can follow the instructor or do your own practice. The instructors - Elonne, Rachel, Ivana - are all very patient and explain the different poses, breathing technique, and correct posture. A beginner will not have any problem learning. On average about 5-15 people were in each class.
Food - On the healthy weight program you have a customized menu - 1000 kcal/day. Breakfast is - grain porridge, fruit plate or fruit smoothie. Lunch is vegetable and grain (brown rice, quinoa). Dinner is vegetable soup. With each meal you will have different teas. In afternoon, there is also a fruit/veggie juice, coconut water, and a gotukola shot. You can have 3 snacks in between meals if you like - usually carrot, celery, cucumber, apple, hummus, and nuts (cashews or seeds). The food is a mix of Indian, Mediterranean, Thai, Japanese. The chef used a lot of cumin and salt initially - just personal taste, I didn't really like it much but it was edible. Would prefer more Thai, other Asian, and Japanese dishes. The food temperature was not consistent. The juices are freshly made and really delicious. The portions are sufficient - you won't feel hungry at all and most times don't need the snacks. There is a lunch and dinner buffet for the folks not participating in the programs. Most of the folks on detox or healthy weight program ate at the wellness/detox center so we were not tempted by the buffet food (they had cookies at the buffet, but healthy ones!)
Colon Hydrotherapy - was nervous about this and the therapist Jeab seemed at bit serious at first. But she is really nice and tells you what she will be doing (water in, release water etc). When you feel you need to release - just let her know and she let the outflow (sorry so much detail!). She will massage your stomach during the procedure. It's not painful and there is no discomfort. In fact, it's relaxing and you may fall asleep. At the end you will receive a green (enzymes/ probiotics) and water mixture which you will have to hold for 5-10 minute. You will receive some enzymes/ probiotics capsules after the treatment.
Wellness Treatments and therapist- All amazing! The healthy weight program came with many treatments (scrubs, wrap, stomach/foot massage and choice of massages (Thai, Aromatherapy, Swedish, Therapeutic etc) , infrared sauna) and you will have 2-3 treatments a day. Some days there were 4 treatments and it felt so busy going from treatment to treatment. The wellness team will schedule all the treatments for you but you can contact them to re-schedule as needed.
Staff - All are very friendly and caring. The Wellness team - Tang, Tan, Mew are always smiling and really look after you - from bringing your meals to reminding you about your treatments or asking how you are feeling.
Room - I stayed in room 5 on the 2nd floor, closest to the road. Occasionally heard the cars and motorcycles but overall it was really quiet. Although I booked a single room, I got the room that had two levels - with bed each on the main floor and loft floor. On the main floor there is bathroom with outdoor shower, long desk, refrigerator, Ipad/Iphone docking station, two cupboards (each with a safe, laundry basket, umbrella, and clothes rack). Both levels had fans and the AC was on the upper loft floor. The AC was rather noisy and not really cold. My room lighting short-circuited one evening and the engineers were quick to fix it the next morning.
The bed is comfortable; the pillow was a bit to high for my taste.
Like other reviewers, I also noticed some sewage smell from the bathroom - I just kept the bathroom window and door to the shower open during the day. The windows to the balcony have blinds but they do not block the light at night and since the street lamp is on - it will be quite bright in the room. Bring an eyemask if you need to have a dark room at night.
Balcony was spacious with wraparound benches. If you hang out wet laundry in the morning, it will usually be dry in 3-4 hours with the sun and breeze.
Main area - The rooms are not directly on the beach, you have to walk about 50 meters from the rooms to the reception area. Overall the main area is clean and many trees and flowers. Its all open air and there are no air-conditioning in the reception, dining area, welness/detox center, beach shala (for yoga) - there are fans throughout. The massage treatment rooms do have fans or AC.
Pool and beach - Small salt water pool adjacent to the beach. The beach is really calm and flat, very shallow so not many people swam in the sea. The beach is quite deserted (apart from some dogs). If you face the ocean and walk to right along the beach you will reach the Laem Sor Pagoda.
Other tips - Bring you own
- yoga mat (they have them for loan but a limited quantity and the yoga mats for sale seemed expensive)
- sandals (you have to take off your shoes before going into yoga shalas, dining area and wellness/detox area)
- body wash and shampoo (or you can buy the organic products at their shop)
Preparing for the program
- they do send you some suggestions to prepare for the program 2-3 weeks before. I do suggest you follow it. I reduced alcohol, sugar, rice/bread, and meats as much as I could before coming to the retreat and increased exercise. I think that made it easier for me to do the healthy weight program and achieve the results I wanted.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Samahita Retreat, the lifestyle retreat center for yoga, fitness and detox, was established in 2003 on the island of Koh Samui, and has been called by many a "hidden gem" located on the quiet beach of Bang Kao. Owned and directed by Master yogi, educator and researcher, Paul Dallaghan, our yoga and wellness retreat center has been a location for practice, learning and holiday for literally tens of thousands of guests from all walks of life over the years. Being the original Yoga Thailand, our center has grown and developed over the years and now encompasses a wellness center as well as its traditional yoga offerings. The name Samahita is translated from Sanskrit as "centered" or "balanced". To find balance is key - in daily habits, in weight management, in dealing with stress.. Samahita Retreat's clear and dedicated purpose is 'to provide both the tools to work on yourself through specific practices and dedicated programs as well as the environment within to learn, change and renew. Choose from Fixed-date programs such as group yoga retreats or trainings or Flexi-date programs such as the integrated yoga & fitness YogaCoreCycle, health focused programs: detox, de-stress or weight loss. This all inclusive beach resort features 40 rooms suited for single travelers, couples and families. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda and Booking.com so you can book your Samahita Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Samahita Yoga Thailand Retreat Hotel Koh Samui
- Samahita Retreat Ko Samui/Taling Ngam, Asia