“ashtanga yoga paradise”
Review of Samahita Retreat

and 1 more site!
Samahita Retreat
Reviewed 14 May 2012

it´s quite easy for me to summarize our experience at samahita yoga thailand:
it was PERFECT and even more than we expected.

anyway, to embrace all the details i have to use some more words. :-)

1. the area
due to many thailand journeys we knew the local surroundings of the retreat center before we arrived for our stay. it is the most idyllic part of koh samui with less people, less noise, and less tourism. but there ARE the most important things one needs for a retreat:
silence & nature.
a beautiful, palm-fringed white beach, with a buddhist pagode on the right end and an endless strech of sand on the left. perfect for long walks or runs- if it´s not too hot- and for a dip in the warm see.
there are also some small beach shacks around to take a break in between :-)

2. the rooms
..are really nice & clean.

3. the people
the staff and the guests alike where wonderful.
met interesting people from all over the world and made friends with some of them...still in contact :-)

4. YOGA
...the led classes in the beach shala and the mysore classes where the best- really THE BEST- we have ever done.
not only the peaceful surroundings and the atmosphere where beneficial for our practice... most of all we want to highlight THE TEACHERS who have been absolutely brilliant.
rachel (!!!), ivana and amy did everything to get the best out of us all. 10 days made a HUGE difference in our practice. be prepared to sweat. A LOT. more than ever. be prepared to get inspired. to fly. to be aware of each breath.
we absolutely loved it, really.
the evening classes were the restorative ones. they are well needed after the challenging morning practice!
the pranayama in the morning was quite easy and good for our focus before class. well explained and wonderful to recharge body & mind with energy.
there was also led meditation and guided relaxation twice a week which was amazing.

5. the food
...was perfect for the intensive yoga practice.
lots of vegetables, salads, rice, noodles, soups, breads, juices, joghurt, mueslis, curries, fresh fruits... nearly too good :-)
we were only wondering why there was fish on the menu sometimes- which doesn´t really get along with the yogic philosophy... but it´s still depending on the guest´s choice to eat or not to eat, isn´t it ;-)

overall it was a wonderful stay, and we would love to come back at some point of our lives :-)

btw: we recommended your teacher training to a friend of us who is looking for a good one since one year. i think she wants to join in 2013.

THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING.
om shanti from austria
nina & herta

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank yoganina
SYTManagement, General Manager at Samahita Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2012

Dear Nina and Herta, thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful experience with us. Your kind comments about our location, rooms. staff, yoga classes, teachers and our food (yes, we do have serve fish on certain days, if guests prefer not to eat fish there are many vegetarian options available) are much appreciated! Thank you for recommending our Teacher Training to one of your friends. We do look forward to welcome you both (and your friend) again at Samahita Retreat. Best wishes from us all!

There are newer reviews for Samahita Retreat

Reviewed 28 April 2012

Given the high cost of staying at this retreat centre, I was expecting great service, great food and wonderful yoga.

The good:

Yoga: The guest teachers (Tim Feldmann and Kino MacGregor with assistant Zoe) were wonderful. The mysore style classes were amazing and their guidance was brilliant. The afternoon workshops were tremendously helpful.

Rooms: rooms are nice, have A/C and large bathroom. Beds are hard, but they are hard all over SE Asia.

The bad:

Food: A huge disappointment. There are two meal periods; brunch between 10am-1pm and the supper between 6pm-8pm. The huge gap between the two was daunting. The brunch options were adequate, plentiful, and tasty but afterwards it is a long wait until supper if you're a 3 meals a day kind of person. The supper was completely uninspired. Salad and greens (and by greens I mean one kind of green vegetable with plain brown rice). Every night. They also seem to have an issue deciding on a temperature to serve the meals. hot or cold...you never really know if it was meant to be lukewarm or they aren't quite sure how to keep things hot. You end up having to order from their side menu for additional $. For the price of the retreat, I was expecting much better. Also the dinners were not very filling and nutrients were not equally dispersed (barely any protein and if you're a true vegetarian, on the few nights they served fish you were really out of luck)

The service: There was never anyone around to help you out if you had questions. Not sure if it was a language barrier but it seemed like the staff didn't really acknowledge me most times...had to get their attention. This was especially frustrating since they automatically add a 10% service charge to everything...not sure why.

The cost: 10% service charge + 7% VAT on everything...so basically a huge 17% addition to your stuff. Also, if you pay for the retreat using paypal, you have to pay the 3% paypal fee on top of the retreat fee. The cost of spa services and items at the "juice bar" are much more expensive than if you were off the retreat grounds. For instance, a massage would run you close to 1000 baht on resort but costs 300 baht in a nearby town.

Stray dogs: It's not so wonderful to have a stray dog sit on your yoga mat in the middle of practice. or come wandering to you while you're trying to have your meal, or relax by the pool. or even sit on your beach towel... Saw one of them peeing on the pool chairs.

Overall: Very pricey in contrast to the rest of Thailand and the island. Yoga is great, but the retreat centre needs some work.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
13  Thank Bruxelles06
SYTManagement, General Manager at Samahita Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2012

Dear Guest, Thank you very much for your review on Tripadvisor. Your kind comments about our Guest Teacher, Tim Feldmann and Kino MacGregor and their assitant Zoe are much appreciated. We aim to keep our rates fair and transparent. We do take great pride in our food and generally receive great reviews about this, it is unfortunate that you considered the time between our Brunch and Supper too long, your comments about our dinner buffet, the temperature of the food and the attention of the staff are duly noted. As in most hotels/resorts/retreats in Thailand we do add 10 % service charge and 7 % tax on items which can be ordered from our a la carte menu and treatments offered in our Wellness Centre, this is clearly marked on both the a la carte menu in our restaurant and the treatment menu in our Wellness Centre. Treatments offerend in our Wellness Centre are of a very high standard and cannot be compared with treatments offered outside. I cannot apologize enough about the stray dog, stray dogs are a real problem in Koh Samui, we regulary catch dogs and cats (this in a human way) and bring them to the Animal Rescue Centre on the island, as I do strongly believe that a Retreat/Resort/Hotel is not a place for dogs and cats. We hope to welcome you again at Samahita Retreat in the future. Best wishes.

Reviewed 14 April 2012

In 2010 I took the yoga teacher training course, and this year I came back for the Pranayama & Buddhist Philosophy with Tiwari & Paul.
The main reason I keep coming back is the quality and sincerity of the teachings that I receive. Everything within Yoga Thailand has been carefully thought after, from the amazing food to the wonderful wellness centre, all the staff are highly trained and happy to help. I can full heartily recommend Yoga Thailand for relaxation, self growth, study, health and to nurture your mind and soul. I feel very lucky to have found this retreat as there are so many now to choose from on the web & I hope that you find what you need too. Namaste

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Y0giZ

Dear Guest, I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about our Retreat at Tripadvisor. Your kind comments about our Retreat, Teachings, Food and Wellness Centre are much appreciated. It pleases us immensly if we are able to help our guests with self growth, study , relaxation and the nuturing of the mind and soul. Best wishes.

Reviewed 6 April 2012

Samahita retreat is the place to go, if you are looking for yoga, detox, health, peace and quiet and laughter. This was already my second time around and yes the devil is in the detail, which in my experience is great.

Things are running smooth under the watch full eye of Bob de Jong, the General Manager (it was a pleasure meeting you). He is not only watching over his staff, but is also there for a check up on, chat and laugh with the guests.
The staff at the detox centre is friendly, skilled and help full ( thank you Claudia, Wellness Director and the whole team). It makes detoxing mostly a pampering (!) experience. I do advice to stay on after the detox to get back into the lovely food and Thai flavors of the buffet.

Under Paul Dallaghan's guidance, the yoga teachers and classes are very professional. Ashtanga yoga courses for teachers are often booked out, because of the professionalism.
There is room for every level of Yogi to improve. The level of attention, detail and material (also last year we had enough props, mats and space) is all you (I) need.

The bedroom's are spacious, clean, but the bed is very firm, which does not suit every body.
I agree with the payment issue of not easy to transfer, while so often you can do online credit card payments in an easy way. That is something to work on for samahita.

Thank you so much for looking after me, my health and joy!

Christel Sydney Australia

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Christel L

Dear Christel, I thank you for sharing your possetive experience with us. Your kind comments about our Retreat are much appreciated. We look forward to welcome you again at Samahita Retreat in the future. Best wishes!

Reviewed 17 March 2012

I found Samahita Retreat by change on the internet, I was planning to go to Bali, Indonesia. So glad that I decided to stay at Samahita instead what a wonderful, peaceful place. I had booked a Detox package and the Samahita staff looked after me from the moment I arrived until the second I arrived back at Koh Samui airport. I have done Detox before but never experienced the level of support I received at Samahita (a big thank you to Claudia, the Wellness Director and her team). In other hotels/resorts you do not see a lot of the actual management, not so at Samahita, Bob the General Manager really takes an interest in his guests and has high standards in place which results in a wonderful overall experience. The yoga classes are top notch. Rooms situated in a lovely garden are very clean and well appointed. As I was on Detox I could not use the buffet meals until the last two days of my stay, delicious vegetarian food. Samahita......, I can't wait to come back!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank MarieOsbourne
SYTManagement, General Manager at Samahita Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2012

Dear Guest, Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on tripadvisor. We really appreciate your kind comments about our Wellness Center, yoga, staff, food and rooms. Best wishes!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Taling Ngam
0.2 km away
Easy Time Resort
Easy Time Resort
#4 of 7 in Taling Ngam

Been to Samahita Retreat? Share your experiences!