All reviews yoga practice wellness centre juice bar teacher training no alcohol detox program de stress life changing infrared sauna vegetarian food koh samui inner peace laid back atmosphere great teaching spinning classes spa treatments daily massages
Reviewed 17 March 2012

I found Samahita Retreat by change on the internet, I was planning to go to Bali, Indonesia. So glad that I decided to stay at Samahita instead what a wonderful, peaceful place. I had booked a Detox package and the Samahita staff looked after me from the moment I arrived until the second I arrived back at Koh Samui airport. I have done Detox before but never experienced the level of support I received at Samahita (a big thank you to Claudia, the Wellness Director and her team). In other hotels/resorts you do not see a lot of the actual management, not so at Samahita, Bob the General Manager really takes an interest in his guests and has high standards in place which results in a wonderful overall experience. The yoga classes are top notch. Rooms situated in a lovely garden are very clean and well appointed. As I was on Detox I could not use the buffet meals until the last two days of my stay, delicious vegetarian food. Samahita......, I can't wait to come back!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank MarieOsbourne
SYTManagement, General Manager at Samahita Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2012

Dear Guest, Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on tripadvisor. We really appreciate your kind comments about our Wellness Center, yoga, staff, food and rooms. Best wishes!

Reviewed 14 March 2012

We spent two weeks in January at Yoga-Thailand. We chose the yoga residential stay package, and thoroughly enjoyed and benefited from the yoga instruction. (Although at times, there were too many guests participating in the yoga classes for the space available - e.g., not enough props to go around, not enough space for all the mats.) The teachers are friendly, experienced and very helpful.

On the other hand, there should be more to Yoga-Thailand than yoga classes, particularly given the costs and the fact that everything must be paid for in advance. We found this aspect particularly troubling. Not only do you need to pay in full in advance, you must also pay the surcharges associated with making your payment in advance (whether bank transfer, credit card, or PayPal). No other hotel in Thailand that we stayed in passed these surcharges onto their customers. And in fact, this is actually in violation of PayPal's policies. We agree with other comments on TripAdvisor re: the penny-pinching, money-focused tone of Yoga-Thailand.

Overall, the food (buffet twice a day is included in the yoga residential stay) was uninspired, fairly monotonous and really quite disappointing. We have been vegetarians for years so it wasn't a matter of not appreciating vegetarian cuisine. The resort is tucked away, which is wonderful in many ways, but problematic in others, e.g., you can't just buy some snacks if you're still hungry after dinner, you can't go anywhere without paying exorbitant taxi fares. And the property is small - much smaller than the website suggests.

Take lots of money, be prepared to "love thy neighbor," but look forward to some great yoga instruction.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank m0untainbutterfly

Dear Guest, Thank you very much for taking the time to write your feedback. Your comments about our friendly and knowledgeable yoga teachers are much appreciated. Be assured that we have plenty of props in our store to go around. Thank for pointing out the paypal fees, we will most certainly look into this. I would like to make clear that we are not "penny pinching"our rates are fair and below any comparable compition, and and are transparent, as all the information on our website is. There is more to Samahita Retreat than the yoga , it is of course up to each person to engage in this. We aim to give value and keep our rates low. Unfortunately we cannot satisfy everyone with our food, generally we receive rave reviews about our food as this is very important to us, we continually improve our food and recently added more raw food items on our buffets and there are plenty of healthy snacks available from our juice bar. Best wishes!

Reviewed 21 February 2012

I spend one week in Samahita yoga early February. It was a full board retreat. The facilities are beautifully located at the beach, the sleeping part is a little more in the back. The rooms are very tastefully decorated.
On the whole I was quite satisfied, but there were a few things that were not so OK, certainly given the serious price level:

Booking / paying is complex and 3% is charged extra on credit card / Paypal payment.

The food (buffet) was not as varied as I expected, but worse: it was cold all week. Their system for keeping the food warm was obviously not prepared for so many windy days (and windy it was!)

There were two incidents in which there was a discussion about charging some minor items, which created the impression that charging the customer is a bigger theme than serving the customer. The first one was solved, the second one I did not go even in discussion any more, I was fed up with it. Just gave them the money.

The atmosphere between the guests was very good, so I understand the positive feedback on trip advisor. However, the hotel can certainly improve in the details.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
12  Thank Peter K
SYTManagement, General Manager at Samahita Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2012

Dear Peter,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review on tripadvisor.
Your possetive comments are much appreciated. We met on several occassions during your stay with us and also had lunch together, during lunch you complemented us on our food, as such I am surprised that you do not consider our choice of food varied, our food is really something we put our hearts and souls in as this is very important in our retreat, you comments about the out sytem to keep our food warm is noted. Charging for minor items, in every hotel/resort/retreat guests will have to pay for items purchased, this includes repairs to a rented motorbike (minor charge to repair a punched motorbike tire), maybe this was not made clear to you at the time the motorbike was rented. Once again I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review on tripadvisor. We look forward to welcome you again at our retreat in the future. Best wishes!

Reviewed 18 January 2012

Visiting Yoga Thailand was a life changing experience for me. I stayed for one week in May 2011 looking for focus and a new outlook on life and I found just that! For someone continually on the go, the thought of being 'forced' to be still was a little frightening! The staff and teachers were calm and welcoming and I felt at home right away. The retreat itself is amazing and the food...one of my favourite parts of the experience! I left feeling the best I have ever felt and have eaten primarily vegetarian and organic since. Yoga is now a part of my life and I regularly think about the retreat and the wonderful experience while practising. A great way to find focus and peace in your life - thoroughly recommend!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank Lynda C
SYTManagement, General Manager at Samahita Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2012

Dear Guest, Thank you very much for sharing your wonderful experience with us. It pleases us immensely that we where able to help you to focus and finding a new outlook on life. Your kind comments about our teachers, staff, food are much appreciated. We do hope to welcome you again at our Retreat in the near future. Best wishes!

Reviewed 6 January 2012

Spent a wonderful week at Samahita over Christmas on Paul's Retreat and enjoyed every minute! I truly felt that i was able to better my yoga practise and experience something unique in Thailand. The accomodation was perfect and food delicious, staff friendly and attentive and Christmas celebrations truly memorable!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Emily S
SYTManagement, General Manager at Samahita Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2012

Dear Emily, Thank you very much for your kind review. We at Samahita Retreat are pleased to read that you have enjoyed the Retreat you joined, the yoga practise, our accomodation, food, staff and our christmas celebrations. We look forward to welcome you again at Samahita Retreat. Best wishes!