“Great place - go for the roommate option”
Review of Samahita Retreat

Samahita Retreat
Reviewed 5 September 2011

I listened to other reviews and booked the roommate option. The space is well divided, so you each have your own space. I definitely picked the right choice for me.

It's a very nice property, with good yoga and excellent vegetarian food. It is isolated from the rest of Koh Samui and the yoga schedule doesn't really allow for going off the ranch to tours or dives. What I wanted, though, was to do some yoga, relax, and read -- and I got just that. Very nice.

Room Tip: I was in room 13. No complaints about the room.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank redandpinkmatch
SYTManagement, General Manager at Samahita Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2011

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful experience with us. We do value your feedback.
We look forward to welcome you again at our Retreat in the future. With warm regards!

Reviewed 29 August 2011

The most important thing to take to Samahita Yoga Thailand is the right mindset and attitude. This is not a five star luxury holiday - its is a great yoga retreat where they practise Ashtanga yoga seriously and mindfully. The rooms and whole hotel are spotlessly clean and the staff very friendly and keen to help. At the time of my visit there was some construction noise because the land across the accommodation block is being built on - but it should be complete by end of Oct 2011 (so I was told). Nevertheless, this is a place you can happily go as a single traveller, as I did, and meet other friendly people - in the dining area many tables are banquet style so lots of different people sit together - or you can be alone with time to think. Either way, its a really spiritually uplifting place - calming and serene. It is vegetarian (except for some fish dishes) but the food is to die for!! Even though I am not a vegetarian - I loved it and never missed meat while I was there. The yoga (led class) takes place in a shala (hut) facing the beach, which is SPECTACULARLY beautiful, you could not ask for a better place to do yoga. The hotel asks you to clear away your own dishes, and bring your own yoga mats and water bottle - this is not Chiva Som... you dont get little orchids on your fruit juice straws - but WHO CARES?? it is fresh healthy food and you come away feeling fit and happy. If you want a place to improve your yoga practise then this is it!! Go for the radiance packages - it is sublime having massages etc every day after aching from all the yoga - and the costs are very reasonable compared to just the room rate alone. No tvs in the room of course so take lots of books. Its a bit isolated from the busy parts of Koh Samui - and the hotel tends to hold you a bit to hostage to use their hotel car if you want to get out - which is expensive. Its best if you just want to stay put for five days. Dont expect any nightlife etc. everything is shut by 9pm and its an early start for two hours yoga at half seven. If you are a fan of Eat, Pray, Love.. this place is for you!!

Room Tip: My room 27 was the closest to the road and therefore the noisiest - ask for lower numbered rooms
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank mummycloggs
SYTManagement, General Manager at Samahita Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2011

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. We do value your feedback and will always use your constructive feedback to improve upon. Construction is taking place close to our Retreat however noise is minimal and will be completed soon (end of October 2011.) Location, since we are a quiet retreat center, we chose to be in a private and quiet location away from the tourist part of town. Lamai is 20 minutes away by taxi. Our taxi rates has been the same for over 2 years and we do not want to increase the rates although gasoline prices has gone up. We even offer a taxi shared rate if you were to share your taxi to the airport, Lamai, Nathon or Chaweng, this helps you save cost and we can help save on fuel/ pollution. We can also assist our guests with car/motorbike rental. Again we do appreciate your comments and we look forward to welcome you back at our Retreat in the future. With warm regards!

Reviewed 21 August 2011

From the comfortable rooms to the the wonderful healthy meals, friendly staff and the quiet serenity throughout one's stay, this is a great yoga retreat and place to get away from it all

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank CraigvE

We look forward to welcome you again at our Retreat in the future. With warm regards.

Reviewed 31 July 2011

What an amazing time at Samahita. It was far more than I expected! So much learnt so much growth. I am looking forward to working it all into my daily life.
Samahita is truly a special place. The wonderful staff are really the icing on the cake. They touched my heart everyday from the front desk to the wellness centre to the juice bar. And of course it would not have been the same without Elonne, Rachel and Amy our Yoga teachers.
This really feels like the beginning of my yoga journey and I am so grateful that I found this path and that I was able to experience this time with Paul and everybody at Samahita.
Thank you for your motivation, inspiration and oh the hip opening on my last day!
I will be back again. Well I returned after leaving the Center whilst still on the island for some yummy healthy treats from the juice bar and to see the smiling faces of the staff. They are more than staff, they feel like your family!

Room Tip: Rooms are perfect. Modern with a Thai feel.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Rebecca1971

Thank you very much for your possetive feedback. It gives us great pleasure not only reading that you have enjoyed your stay with us but also that we where able to help and guide you towards the beginning of your Yoga journey. We do look forward to welcome you again in the future. With warm regards!

Reviewed 21 March 2011

The Yoga Thailand Resort is fantastic. The service is very friendly and prompt, the food is delicious and fresh, the rooms were spotless, simple, yet luxurious - I love the outside shower and the 2 levels for the sharing rooms from my teacher training stay. The Wellness Center was top notch with excellent staff helping you each step of the way with detox programs, massage, or eating tips. The spot on the beach was wonderful - it was far from town so no noise and I was able to really put myself into my studies for yoga. I would definitely come back to stay here again based on the hotel, staff, and services offered for a small yoga vacation in Thailand.

The yoga teacher training was okay. I was expecting better quality. I felt like I was in a teacher factory with the LARGE number in the group of 32. I was expecting that getting my teacher training to be come a yoga instructor it would be more one on one or small group attention. I was very wrong. Luckily I had been studying and practicing yoga for 7years before going, so I had a good background knowledge on the information taught. If I had not, I would have been VERY lost. Plus, if you do not know English really well, I suggest not going to this training as the language is very fast for second language speakers of English.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Paar21
shadow2003, Owner at Samahita Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2011

Thank you so much for sharing your great experience with us. We value your feedback and will always use your constructive feedback to improve upon.

In regards to our yoga teacher training program, we have been offering a very high level of foundation training to students for almost 12 years. The original impetus for its establishment was to offer students real learning based on classical traditions after much training and
practice by the principal teacher. We saw this as a shortcoming in other
programs.
The main point here is it is a foundation for an education in
yoga. A very key phase that often students becoming teachers skip by in
their eagerness to teach, feeling they are better than others, know more and
therefore should be special. Such expectations override the value of the
grounding in practices.
We limit the courses to up to 39 students and have always announced this in our literature. It is not an exclusive ashtanga training as that is too limited but open to people of all yogic interests so
we will accept students with previous experience in yoga but relatively new
to ashtanga. The aim is, and has always been, to encourage growth in people
who practice. Some may go on to teach which is very often not based on how
good your asana is but on a level of maturity and compassion.

We pour out our heart and share our experience and life through these programs. It is a
great opportunity if you have the right attitude. Fortunately to date we
have had students from all over the world benefiting and growing. A certain
percentage become strong teachers while others are happy to deepen in
practice.

Easy Time Resort
#5 of 7 in Taling Ngam
4.4 km away
Centra by Centara Coconut Beach Resort Samui

Been to Samahita Retreat? Share your experiences!