All reviews single track road sat nav rushed off their feet changing rooms pub next door on arrival norfolk broads breakfast was included passing places chart room fish and chips mini break bank holiday next morning room was spacious food was lovely main building
Reviewed 26 February 2018

I booked this hotel before reading the reviews and had concerns about staying there. However we have had a lovely time. We had received a number of emails confirming our stay and giving directions which was down a narrow road. When we arrived the staff were friendly and helpful, showing us to our room (Captains Cabin)The room was clean, with everything in working order. Tea and coffee making facilities, plenty of milk and coffee/tea. Large bathroom with an amazing shower. We ate in the restaurant in the evening. Good service from the staff. Breakfast was included and we had a walk round in the morning before leaving. Would definitely stay here again.

Date of stay: February 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
James K, Owner at Waveney Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2018

Thank you so much for your wonderful review - we're glad that you enjoyed yourselves. Thank you in particular for the positive feedback about our staff, which is great for them to read. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 19 November 2017 via mobile

My only advice here is to avoid booked it didn't stay. False advertisement rude customer service. This is not a hotel it's a simple bed and breakfast the reception is in a shop with unprofessional untidy uniformed staff. Pool is not part of the "hotel" but is part of the boatyard / campsite. When we booked we was overwhelmed with the professional directions and customer care upon arrival things were totally different. Poor parking and the rooms although acceptable had different size beds to what was advertised stained headboards and what seemed questionable decor. All themed on a ship bit into in a way that confused. Left and got out money back and found a alternative room in a professional hotel that accommodated our needs. I've seen reviews on here where the management seem to question and challenge / argue with the reviews. The truth is you need to learn from what people are saying and from a customer perspective this was terrible.

Date of stay: November 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
James K, Owner at Waveney Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2018

I was sorry to see this review Ian - it seems unreasonable to give a negative review for a hotel in which you've not stayed. We are a small hotel which is part of a holiday complex and we make no secret of this. The rooms are indeed nautically themed, because we are beside the river and like boats, and the beds are exactly the size advertised - super king size - ie 6ft double beds, the biggest you can get. I'm sorry if you found the reception staff to be unprofessional and uninformed, there's certainly no excuse for that, but it sounds from your review as though you were looking for an entirely different experience to what we offer. I'm glad to know that you were able to find what you wanted somewhere else and didn't waste your journey.

Reviewed 31 October 2017 via mobile

For anyone considering going to this "hotel" during winter months AVOID AVOID AVOID. For anyone who appreciates good management and customer service experience AVOID AVOID AVOID

We were a a group of 3 ladies who needed a night off to let our hair down and decided on booking the Aft room here. First impressions were good. Friendly warm welcome by the ladies on reception, showed to our room which was modern, a good size and clean.

We visited the pool which is not part of the hotel but a short walk over by the camping area (which was not advertised on booking.com and is very misleading). The pool itself is clean, a little small but does as it says on the tin.

We then headed back to our rooms to get ready as we had booked a table in the restaurant for 7pm.

The restaurant was fairly busy, but a 50 minute wait for starters we felt was a little too much. The food was well presented and cooked well. Our plates and glasses were then left almost the full 30 minutes it took for our main meals to arrive. Our mains arrived (again took much longer than we expected) but again we're nicely presented and well cooked.

We headed back to our room around 12am where disaster struck. Our room was FREEZING!!! Might I add its the end of October and the nights are now getting a tad cold. The radiator was not working and reception at this "5*" hotel is not open past 5.30pm.. Great! The 3 of us were dithering, I had 2 layers of clothing on, my pyjamas and then my tracksuit over the top as well as the quilt and a towel over the top and it was still freezing! I had less than 2 hours sleep and felt awful. I arrived with a minor cold and after staying in what can only be described as a REFRIGERATOR I left with a chest infection!

I informed reception that morning once I had thawed out a little.. Conviniently the radiator came on around 5.30am! Who puts a timer on the heating in the winter of a "5*" hotel? I was assured the matter would be looked into and someone would call me that day. SURPRISE SURPRISE.. No phone call all weekend! Fabulous customer service. As I had become so unwell after my stay I booked in to see my GP this morning (30th October) I now have a nasty chest infection which had developed because of staying in such a cold room. I then called the hotel myself this afternoon as I'd still not heard anything, no email, no phone call, no apology to be told they must have had crossed wires. I was also told that I had been refunded... The MD thought £20 was a reasonable gesture for our awful experience of his refrigerator.. Personally I think it was more of an insult. £120 to not sleep, be freezing cold and come away with a chest infection and he sends me a £20 goodwill gesture?! Between us we spent over £200 that evening on food and drink.. Plus the room price for 1 evening. Mr MD if you are reading this, as I emailed you already to which I again got an awful response please can you send me your bank details as you clearly need this £20 far more than I do.. Or you certainly will do to fund the costs of keeping your establishment warm.

I would NOT RECOMMEND this hotel to anyone but I would recommend that the management go on some customer service training courses.. Several of them. To avoid this kind situation happening in the future.

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends
jamesknight, Owner at Waveney Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2017

This was an unfortunate incident and we are sorry for the fact that the radiator wasn’t working in one room. Unfortunately, due to a miscommunication between managers, we didn’t call you back until 2 days later to discuss this. We apologise for this too, and I have berated those responsible.

What is particularly unfortunate though is that, for some reason, you chose not to call our onsite warden on the phone number which is clearly displayed both in the welcome book and on the room key tag, and instead emailed the bar after they’d closed for the night.

Had you contacted the warden, he would probably have been able to bleed the radiator (which was all that was wrong) or, failing that, to provide a standby electric heater. This would have solved the problem straight away.

Once we did establish communication, we tried to resolve the matter by offering some kind of goodwill gesture, but you expressed the view that you would rather post negative views all over social media. Which is a shame.

Thank you anyway for staying with us, and we apologise again for the fact that radiator didn’t work, and for the communication failure.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

This hotel is right on the Norfolk Broads with fishing and boating a few steps away from the front door. Our room in the main building was spotless and looked brand new (it was opened in 2014). The King size bed was extremely comfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful. There is a need to drive down about four km of one track road, but traffic is very light and there are plenty of passing places and we had no problem, even with our large car. A freshly prepared and reasonably priced breakfast is available in the attached pub. dinner is also available in the pub although we dined elsewhere with local friends. There appeared plenty for children to do. There are boats for hire neaby.

Room tip: We stayed in the "Ships Library" in the main building. It was well appointed and looked out over the boats anchored nearby.
Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
jamesknight, Owner at Waveney Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2017

Thanks for your wonderful review - it's really appreciated. Hopefully you'll be back to see us again before long!

Reviewed 18 September 2017

We booked 7 nights to stay on the campsite,as full-time motorhomer's and it being our anniversary, while we were there we decided to spend 1 night in the Waveney Inn Hotel.
We booked the Captains Cabin which is above the shop, the room was spacious, as was the bathroom. Excellent views across to the fields and the marina. We had a meal in the Waveny Inn which we couldn't fault, so much so we had a further 2 meals there during our stay. The bed was a king size and oh so comfy, great nights sleep.

Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
jamesknight, Owner at Waveney Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2017

Thanks for your lovely feedback - we appreciate you reviewing the hotel as well as the touring site, this is a great help (especially when the review is positive!). Please come and visit us again.