“This should be rated higher in Sougia restaurants”
Review of Anchorage

Anchorage
Ranked #2 of 13 Restaurants in Sougia
Reviewed 16 September 2017

The menu offers the usual dishes, but there is are also a variety of daily special dishes, which really do offer some different choice each day. This provides something different from other restaurants we tried where the menu remained the same. We tried most of the restaurants in Sougia and Anchorage provided the best and friendliest service. It was still a little functional at times, therefore I have not rated the full 5 stars. The complimentary dip with the bread at the start and, on one night, a delicious cake and Greek yoghurt with Raki at the end provided a nice touch. The soft drinks were served warm, so ensuring they had been cooled in the fridge before service started would have again deserved the 5 star rating. One night we had goulash which was delicious, although the sweet potato mash was not hot, but did not detract from an overall good dish. Another night we had chicken in saffron which was also delicious. This restaurant does not appear to have any deserts on the menu, which is a shame as the Greek yoghurt they served with the complimentary sweet was the best I have tasted. I think this restaurant will soon reach the highest rankings in Sougia, with a few little touches corrected for next season. Definitely try this restaurant when you are in Sougia.

Reviewed 16 September 2017

I dined at Sougia restaurant Anchorage (not named after the Alaska city--the owner was a cook in the Greek Navy). My salad was the house specialty, named after the restaurant: Greens mixed with figs, nuts, carrots, linseed, raisins, pomegranate, and pear, with a fig vinaigrette dressing and topped with a grilled piece of goat cheese. I ordered pasta with mixed vegetables and feta cheese for dinner. Both dishes were nothing short of spectacular.
For dessert: Watermelon slices and a small carafe of Raki, a Cretan liqueur that tastes similar to grappa. There's even more on the menu than I can describe here. This is a great Cretan restaurant.

Reviewed 15 September 2017

Service here is good. Our salad was average. However we ate here twice and the main meals were all excellent. The goulash and the pork shank were very good. Like all restaurants in Sougia you are charged for bread but here it comes with a dip. The fist time we ate the free dessert of semolina cake with lemon yoghurt was delicious but the second time, the watermelon was tasteless. However, I would choose it over the number one ranked restaurant in Sougia every time.

Reviewed 5 June 2017

In addition to the starter of bread, which we were served in all Cretan restaurants, we were served a nice salad of black eyed peas. Of course you always eat too much of the starter, so my main dish, a very generous serving of moussaka, was way too much for me. I must admit that although I like moussaka, I can do with less bechamel sauce than is common. My husband had a beautiful dish of (if I remember correctly) beef with a sauce/mash of eggplant. The eggplants tasted as though they had been grilled before being mashed, and they went very well with the meat and the other herbs the dish was served with. Another restaurant in Sougia where you cannot really go wrong.

Reviewed 28 May 2017 via mobile

We enjoyed a delicious lunch here while passing through Sougia. The mussels and artichoke are fantastic! Highly recommend a visit