Vio.com
Harry S
Northampton, United Kingdom

Reluctant to rate average but on the verge...

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 12 Sept 2017
This is borderline because the estate and location are so stunning and superb that they make it very hard for anyone to rate this place average. However, a little more complacency about the rooms and we will find soon some people here who will destroy the immaculate 4/5 star rating. The house is very well maintained and its Georgian character passionately preserved. For people who like historic features it is a fantastic place to be. The lounge and the unmanned bar are perfect for a nightcap and a chat. However I would have appreciated if the rooms, in particular the bathroom, had been a bit more up to date with their standard. One can combine historic character with state of the art standard, in particular in a bathroom of a £160 per night en-suite. I was also not entirely happy with the banquet-style breakfast room. As impressive as it looks but it makes the start of the day a bit awkward. It would make more sense to put a few smaller tables into that large hall instead of the one big table.
Date of stay: September 2017
1.4 km from Deeside Country House
1.1 km from Deeside Country House
Restaurant
Bar/Lounge
Self catering villas set in stunning Royal Deeside setting.
3.3 km from Deeside Country House
  • Lol.travel
7.4 km from Deeside Country House
9.8 km from Deeside Country House
1.3 km from Deeside Country House
Bar/Lounge
6.2 km from Deeside Country House
Free parking
Plenty of safe parking, rural views
Lol.travel
    11.1 km from Deeside Country House
    View more hotels in Banchory
    See what travellers are saying:
    Selected filters
    Reviewed 8 August 2017 via mobile

A beautiful private hotel and family home. Peaceful location. (Banchory's lodge hotel is highly recommended for evening meal. ) Very hospitable and welcoming. Slightly disappointed by our room in the attic as the photos looked like luxurious bedrooms. Truly felt like we were staying at a friends house rather than staying in an hotel as it was so relaxed.

Date of stay: August 2017
    Trip type: Travelled as a couple
    Reviewed 5 November 2015

I stayed here recently with a small group who were on a tour with me. The house is beautiful and in a spectacular setting, but I left with a very bad taste in my mouth. It is family owned and operated and we were greeted by Alex, who was warm and inviting. I met her mother Ruth and also Suzanne who were both lovely. We were all sitting around the in the large entry room where the WiFi signal was best when her father came in. He was very brusk and did not share the friendly manner of the rest of the family. And then later on when we all came back from dinner, some of the group went into the main lounge where there was a nice fire and he went in to talk with them. I was sitting out in the entry hall again as I had quite a bit of work to get through. I heard him ask them about our itinerary and someone pulled out a copy of it and he proceeded to take it apart bit by bit. He told them that if he had not been to it, it was not worth going to and then told them things that they should be seeing that were not in the itinerary. I have been putting itineraries together for over 15 years and I am very careful about seeing and doing what I think is most important or enjoyable. If he hope that I would return with other groups after this, he is sadly mistaken as I will never return! I meant to give the place a much lower rating, but Alex changed my mind as she was so wonderful!

Date of stay: October 2015
    • Trip type: Travelled on business
    5  Thank ScottishDreamTours
    Reviewed 14 July 2015 via mobile

A beautiful, large house with a welcoming and attentive host. If you're looking for a stop outside of Banchory I would definitely recommend. The owners invite you into their home and it feels like you have stepped back in time, stunning four poster beds, home cooked breakfast, open fire and relaxed friendly welcome.

Date of stay: July 2015
    Trip type: Travelled as a couple
    2  Thank Aweeden
    Reviewed 29 April 2015

Elegant, quiet, comfortable estate in beautiful setting along the Dee River, convenient to many sightseeing opportunities and the town of Banchory. Nicely prepared full Scottish breakfast. The host was particularly friendly and attentive. The room was spacious , well appointed and updated.

Room tip: We were on the second floor with plenty of separation, quiet and daylight.
    Date of stay: April 2015
    • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
    Reviewed 26 April 2015

This family run and lived in residence is very impressive and an inviting stopover. Alex was very friendly and helpful with any issue. The house is quite large as were the rooms and the lounge room, bar area and kitchen were enormous and well decoded. There is ample room to wander around the property and enjoy the animals and beautiful stream. We would recommend anybody staying here if they are in the area.

Room tip: all rooms are well appointed and plenty of room
    Date of stay: April 2015