“Mixed bag ”

Jack's Steakhouse & Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Jack's Steakhouse & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 33 Restaurants in Ellon
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Visited here on a quiet Thursday evening.
2 other tables in.

Positives.
The place looked nice and inviting with large comfy chairs to sit on.
The food was good - my Mac and cheese with steak strips on top was lovely.

Negatives.
The staff member serving us seemed very nervous.
The restaurant was a little cold.
Had to remind server to bring onion rings and steak sauce.
Price - my biggest gripe. For a tiny jug full of sauce to go with your steak it's £3. One of the sauces is garlic butter - literally just melted butter with garlic - for £3? Think the pricing needs looked at. As decent prices ensure repeat custom.

I do understand that the staff are the old staff from the cafe and that they are learning a new job with the restaurant so I hope they get on well and manage to tone down the nervousness once they settle into the place.

The bar is at the back, so when you walk in, you have to walk through diners to the bar area, no where to wait without imposing on other diners, may I suggest a little stand at the door saying 'please wait here to be seated' and have a member of staff check that area for waiting customers every minute or so?

We will give it another try at some point.

Reviewed 19 March 2018

Fabulous food, great service. Restaurant was quiet on Sunday afternoon however chef is obviously talented and food was really good!

Reviewed 13 March 2018

I have been a couple of times to Jacks now. The service has improved greatly since my first visit. This place doesn't have the most inviting of entrances as you feel you walk immediately into other diners, personally I would move the bar to near the entrance. The food is nice enough, but I think it is pricey, there is also additional charges for sides that really should probably accompany the main course i.e with a steak you get one side FOC and there after it is £3each. I had a pot of tea after being told they had run out of coffee and was quite shocked to be charged £3 for a very small pot, the most expensive Tetley tea bag I have ever bought! Not sure I would go back with the New Inn next door selling similar food a bit cheaper.

Reviewed 17 February 2018 via mobile

Visited with my wife for joint Anniversary / Valentines lunch on a Saturday. The place was pretty empty with just one other table with people eating.
My wife ordered a ribeye steak with sweet potato wedges which she thoroughly enjoyed.
I ordered a chilli bacon burger with a side of coleslaw. The chilli and bacon were cold and the burger was look warm. The chips were piping hot though. The coleslaw was just a spoonful, for a £3 side that was a joke. To top it all off there was a long brown hair in my salad! I told the staff after our meal as I didn't want to tell my wife as she was still eating.
The staff didn't seem too fussed about it, they did give us a 10% off voucher for next time. To be honest, you get a better meal at the New Inn next door and everything is always piping hot and the coleslaw is a free side.... not £3 extra! And the New Inn is cheaper.
Really disappointed, unsure if I will return.
The staff were all really nice and couldn't fault them

1  Thank defendertd5
Reviewed 12 February 2018

Was a wee bit worried after reading some bad reviews but we had absolutely nothing to worry about. Was out with our family to celebrate our Grandson's 18th birthday. We could not have been happier with our service and food. There were 11 + baby in our group. The food came quickly and was delicious. Everyone really enjoyed their meal. The staff was lovely and very friendly. We will definately visit again.