“Very dismal experience”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 20 October 2014

We decided as a family to celebrate my youngest child's birthday with a lunch at this restaurant and took the trouble to book a table in advance and notify them that this was a birthday lunch. From the onset this was a dismal and unwelcoming experience as we were told to go upstairs and left to our own devices for almost 15 minutes. There was only 1 other group upstairs. No table had been set aside for us, let alone any effort made to make us feel welcome. We had to ask for the specials menu which arrived 25 minutes after we sat down. After 1 hour we had only had our starter and after 1 hour 20 minutes our main courses arrived. Our salad main courses looked unappetising and without onion. When I asked if we could have some onion I had the menu shoved under my nose by the waitress who told me to read it and see onion is not included in the salads we had ordered but it included with other salads. I then read the ingredients of the other salads and none of them listed onion (I have previously had exactly the same salad and it is always served with onion). I had to get very firm with the waitress and insisted we have onion brought with our salad which she did.

In a nutshell we were made to feel unwelcome, no table was reserved for us, kept waiting, food was uninspiring, the service demeaning and we were made to feel very uncomfortable. No thought was given to us as customers, it seriously marred the whole celebration and we were billed for £110.00 (for 4 people). I still feel very upset by the whole experience, not the way one would want to celebrate a young person's birthday ever.

Reviewed 9 October 2014

Just love this restaurant, never had a bad meal, and even better when you get a voucher, my daughter and myself went for our birthdays and were treated very special.

Reviewed 17 September 2014

My partner & I and two friends had dinner here on Sat 23 August 2014 as a celebration of my birthday on the Bank Holiday Monday. My partner had phoned in the morning to book a table for the evening, and the lady he made the booking with was very helpful and friendly and enjoyed the lighthearted banter with him. He then had occasion to phone back twice, once to change the booking to a later time, and the other for a general enquiry. Both times the same lady was very courteous and pleasant. At the time, my partner did not realise he was talking to the Manageress, Miriam, until she made a point of coming over to introduce herself once we had been shown to our table. Throughout the meal she could not have been more professional, welcoming, friendly or helpful. We also have to mention our waitress, Maria, another very competent, friendly and efficient lady. It made our evening to have such a high standard of service, and the meal was delicious and thoroughly enjoyed by us all.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

One starter, two steaks, a bit of greenery, luke warm frites, a pre dinner drink and a bottle of wine £76. If the meal had been wow would have accepted the price but it was only ok Not quite what we wanted for a birthday meal. Staff attentive but no soap in Gents poor show.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Dropped in last night at 10:20 on the off-chance that they would still be open. (Had already been refused a table elsewhere at 10:15 as the kitchen was "closed", even though the place was full!). Just a few diners here and I thought we'd left it too late - however we were immediately offered a table by a very friendly waittress. Although after a short time we were the only patrons left, we were not rushed to order or finish our meals (which were very good) and the staff appeared happy to wait for us to finish in our own time. We were offered coffee, which would have entailed us staying for another 10-15 minutes, even though by this time it was after 11:30pm. The manager was chatty and pleasant, whilst our waittress was perfect. Nothing was too much trouble. All in all, a very enjoyable late meal. We will continue to visit this establishment. In my opinion, one of the best in the area.