1,716 results
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 22 September 2015

Very disappointed with meals, breakfast a shamble, evening meal uninspiring and a let down. Hotel needs to be updated and staff need to communicate with each other. Not enough information for guests on where and what to do. Function rooms excellent (not sure on the food aspect) Will not be returning.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank honeySouthampton
GMPrinceofWales, Manager at Britannia Prince of Wales - Southport, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2015

Thank you for taking the time to post your experiences of the Hotel on TripAdvisor.
We value all feedback and were disappointed to hear that on this occasion you did not enjoy your stay with us.
I was sorry to hear that what we had on offer during your stay was not to your taste and thanks to your comments we will look at ways in which we can further improve the food options at the hotel.

Reviewed 21 September 2015

I booked two rooms for the Prince of wales Southport via booking.com when I recieved the confirmation it was not clear if I would be allowed a cot in one of the rooms. I phoned the contact number to make sure, the line was busy so I hung up with the intention of ringing again. I did not need to as I received a call from Britania Hotels central reservations (the parent group) The staff member on the phone was very polite and asked why I had tried to contact them. I asked the question about the cot and was assured there would be no problem. I was then told that if I cancelled my booking made through booking.com I could make the booking directly with the agent on the phone and that he could save me some money. I originally was paying £89.00 for a double and £109 for a family room. The agent offered me the same rooms for £74.00 for the double and £79.00 for the family room. I agreed to cancel with booking.com and make the booking with the agent. I was told I would get a confirmation via email. after 30 mins nothing arrived so I phoned back. I was told the booking was in place and a confirmation would be sent. The confirmation did arrive. All good so far, Now the sting. When I tried to check in I was told that the booking had been cancelled because my card had been declined. I questioned that this may be the canceled booking.com reservation. The receptionist was very rude and did not even consider that as a possibility. I questioned that if my card had been declined why I had been issued a reservation confirmation and also why they had not contacted me to let me know of the problem. The receptionist told me that it is not company policy .After some debate and it becoming apparent the receptionist was not inclined to be of any assistance I decided I should talk to central reservations. I asked the receptionist if he could put me in contact with central reservations expecting him to give me use of a phone. Instead he gave me a premium rate telephone number and said I would have to use my own phone. I used my mobile on the premium rate number and was told that the reservation was good and that the receptionist must be mistaken. I handed my mobile to the receptionist to speak to the central reservations expecting the matter to be cleared up. NO! the receptionist argued with central reservations and instead of handing the phone back to me hung up. He then told me there was still no reservation. I was bemused so rang central reservations again.I got through to a different member of staff.I explained everything again and once more I was told your booking is valid. I again gave the phone to the receptionist so the booking could be confirmed. He kept the phone on hold for well over 20 mins and the result was I was again no reservation due to a declined card. Whilst this was going on my wife was told by another guest in the lobby that she had witnessed other guests in the same situation. I have checked with my bank to see if and why my card was declined for the booking.They assure me that my card has never been declined. Seems that this hotel may operate an overbooking policy and if you one of the last guests to turn up you my be disappointed. I guess I should have realised that If the company are prepaired to cheat booking.com, they would have no problems about cheating guests.

Room Tip: do not book
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family
3  Thank Dave F

We were sorry to here of the trouble you have encountered with your booking but unfortunately it is company policy to check the validity of each card before check in at the hotel.
This is due to an increased incidence of fraudulent bookings and cards being used to secure reservations within the hotels.
Sadly, when a card is declined within our system it does not give us any information on why it has been declined and we therefore have been advised to treat each one of these instances as though a fraudulent card has been used and remove the booking from our system.
We understand that this can be frustrating at the times but to ensure we are able to honour genuine reservations this is regrettably unavoidable.
We would again like to apologise for any inconvenience caused by this security check and advise anyone booking with us to contact the hotel on the day of arrival to confirm their card details are correct and valid.

Reviewed 21 September 2015

This hotel looks lovely from the outside but once you step inside its quite old fashioned, we were on the second floor and the corridors to our room was not very inviting, very outdated and cold. the room was large enough and comfy enough but need updating especially the bathroom, shower curtains that stick to you is not good. The lounge downstairs looked more like a retirement home than a hotel AND the breakfast was a sham, empty used tables not being cleared quick enough, we stayed 2 nights and both mornings we had to clear our own tables then wait for cutlery and plates, no napkins were given, then asked for our coffee which was brought but had no cups, they brought the cups, but no milk or sugar, this to me is polite to ask if we wanted milk and sugar so had to get up and find some one to get it, we witnessed this from other guests having to do the same, wandering round looking for staff to get simple things, every table should be cleared and redone asap before you sit down we let the first morning go but for it to happen again the day after its not nice. We did have dinner in the price also but only went first night the food was nice but only had one meat on the buffet which was ham, needs another in case people don't like ham, if this hotel was updated I would definitely stay again and the staff need to be on those tables a lot quicker, get Alex Pollizzi on their backs.

Room Tip: phone and ask for a newly decorated room.
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Kathy C

The food we serve at the hotel is a buffet style for breakfast, lunches and our evening meal. We do this in order to offer maximum choice for our guests whilst keeping the costs to you as low as possible. Typically at breakfast we offer a full range of continental and traditional English breakfast items along with cereals and porridge. During lunch and dinner service we serve a selection or hot and cold dishes including a soup, salad bar, full poached salmon, cold starters, hot fish dish, roast meat, several meat entrees, vegetarian dish, gateau, ice cream and a hot sweet. We also have a chef on hand each service to help with any special requests/requirements. Staff are on hand to help guests and reset tables and had you asked for a table the staff would have found and set a table fully for you.

Reviewed 20 September 2015

Have just spent a lovely couple of days at the Prince of Wales The hotel is still looking abit jaded & could do with a spruce up.I must mention Jade on reception who went out of way to make our stay so enjoyable ,she is a huge asset to the hotel

Room Tip: ask for a room at the front of the hotel
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your experiences of our Hotel on TripAdvisor.
We value all feedback and were delighted to hear you had a pleasurable stay with us.
We strive hard to make every stay as enjoyable as possible and your comments are a welcome reward for the hard work of all the staff here at the hotel.
We will pass on your comments to the staff and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 20 September 2015

We were welcomed by a car park that is very busy, popular on a first come first served basis, so my advice; arrive early.

The receptionist, Jade, was wonderful. Genuine broad smile, happy to help and appeared to really enjoy her job, offering advise on parking, local attractions etc.

Hotel itself is what you'd expect. Well positioned in the town, 10 minutes walk from Pleasureland and other local attractions.

Comfy room, quiet and just what we needed. Basic facilities and a base for exploring the town.

Recommended for it's warm welcoming staff, location and of course, the famous Britannia Breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family