“Awful, awful, awful”

Ranked #24 of 24 Hotels in Tenby
Sydney
“Awful, awful, awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

Hopefully you are reading this before you took the plunge to stay at The Royal Lion Hotel.

My Dad booked it last minute for Mum, Dad, my sister and I - there were two bedrooms available and the hotel included parking – that’s all my Dad looked in to. Mum and I looked on the website the day before we left and gave each other "the look" but deferred judgement until we got there.

When we arrived, from the outside it looked as grot bags as it did on the website, but it did have a great location (hence it getting a 1 star!). Mum jumped out of the car to check us in and as soon as she got back to the car to direct Dad to the car park - her face said it all and she had only see the reception.

The rooms were awful - in more than need of a spot of paint. We went in April 2012 and it was freezing. The only heater in the room was what my sister and I now call the sunbed light - to get heat you had to have the full on flood light on too - we had to switch it on at one point during the night and just laughed as we held our hands over our eyes to block out the BRIGHT light. I opted to sleep in my winter coat - the worst night’s sleep ever!

Mum and Dad had as many problems with their room - awful bed and cold!

At least my sister and I had a shower in our bathroom - although it was one of those ones that scolded you and then dribbled freezing water at you every 20 seconds, so neither of us had a decent wash. At least there weren't pubic hairs in our bath though (which the parents had the unfortunate dis-pleasure of)

Breakfast was mediocre. Not worth staying the night for though.

There are so many other quaint places to stay in Tenby - do yourself a favour, don't stay here

Room Tip: None of them!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Nicola D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Haverfordwest, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2011

I can't comment on the rooms much as I have not stayed here, but looking at the photo's tells me they need to upgrade to EU standards, to stay in this ever competertive market.
I have been here for a three course dinner with friends, the food was not quite up to standard for what you are paying! We had Tomato Soup for starters, OMG! Not home made, but Hinze's own. The Maine course was Turkey with veg and gravy, the Turkey was not your traditional, but looked like something from a packet out of your local supermarket. The vegetables were fresh though can't Knock them for that, the Sweet was a small peace of christmas pudding which I thought was cut out with a biscuit cutter and drowned in White sauce, or Ice cream and a wafer. After all that Mince pies and Coffee/Tea were served but the mince pies were mini ones, which in my eyes were not worth bothering with as you needed more to make up the amount for one. The staff were pleasant at all times and very helpful, I think if they adjust these little minor errors, they may attract a better Market.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Matthew B
wal;es
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2011

I booked this hotel last minute and was worried after reading the reviews. I was pleasantly suprised when we arrived yes the hotel and decor was a bit dated but so are a lot of tenby hotels.
Our room overlooked the north beach splendid views . The room and bathroom was very clean there was fresh towels every day. The staff were very friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fcomet
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2011

After reading the reviews I tried to prepare myself. From the moment we checked in to the moment we left, this hotel was terrible. We were checked in by the only member of staff who was busy eating and serving behind the bar. Though we requested a double, our room had an extra bed in which along with the dated furniture only served to clutter the filthy room further. There were several hairs from previous occupants in the bathroom and no shower. The bed made a noise with every small movement which served to provide a very restless night.

We had hoped that breakfast would at least be good, as we had resorted to laughing about the shocking accommodation and were simply looking forward to leaving. However, my girlfriend found a short, dark and thick hair on her deep-fried sausage. Needless to say, we didn't bother complaining and left breakfast keen to get out.

I cannot warn you enough about this hotel, but no doubt there will be more victims. Yes the view is great, but no it is not worth the trauma.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sibannister

Travellers are raving about these Tenby hotels

Wales
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2011

Like some fellow travellers I booked the hotel before reading the reviews and the general consensus I agree with. The hotel is outdated and needs a complete upgrade. I accept this is no doubt expensive but the room rate does not reflect the standard of decor etc. It's a tough industry to be in but if your a traveller who likes value for money then this is not the place to go. However location and sea views are exceptional.

• Stayed October 2011