Hidden Valley Touring & Camping Park
Westaway(Ilfracombe)
  • Bar/Lounge
Beechwood Hotel(Ilfracombe)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsroad noiselakeside restaurantlovely siteserviced pitchtoilet blockmain roadheated floorsunderfloor heatinglarge pitchstream runninghard standingwater supplyonsite restaurantgrass pitchesdog walkingnature walkcaravan holiday
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 July 2011

On a practical note, access to Hidden Valley Park is directly off the A361, for touring units, perfect, no narrow country roads or steep inclines to worry about. When you enter the park you can feel the tranquilty of the place immediately, quiet with lovely surroundings. The park is very clean, neat and tidy, it has an excellent woodland walk and it is dog friendly, so you have plenty of space to walk your pet without disturbing anybody. The surrounding area has much to offer, three wonderful beaches at Saunton Sands, Woollocombe and Croyde, a choice of nice country pubs where you can have lunch/dinner after a long walk or a day on the beach. For those who like country houses, there is Arlington Court not far away, a National Trust site where, again, if you do have pets, dogs are welcome in the grounds and can share your Devon cream tea. Of course, there is also Exmoor on the doorstep to investigate. The park is a family run business and they take great pride and work hard all year round in keeping the park to a high standard and they are always there to help. Hidden Valley Park is a perfect place for a holiday in North Devon, we would not go anywhere else.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank jackieheard
Reviewed 17 June 2011

was brilliant....very friendly staff....we rolled in with no booking on easter weekend and they put us up in a very spacious spot. going back this weekend for longer this time.
has play park, forest, and you can even have a bath!!! they have showers where you are alowed to wash out your wetsuits....very unusual!!
would recomend to friends dog friendly!

Room Tip: smile and be friendly........
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2011

Have just spent a lovely week at this campsite as a family and with grandparents in our fifth wheeler. The play area for the children was really well thought out and there was even a stream nearby where they could build dams and just have a general splash around. The staff were really great and very accommodating, nothing seemed to be too much trouble for them. They had a lovely coffee area (which did lovely homemade cream teas!) and there was a communal TV, lots of books to read and games for children to do. Whilst the early part of the week the weather was unkind it soon picked up and the beauty of the park really shone through. There were good washing facilities and the showers and toilets were very clean. There was plenty to do in the area each day but it was nice to come back in the evening and enjoy the peace and quiet of the countryside. Although there was a main road nearby you could hear very little of it.
Would we go back again - yes it would be a pleasure but Devon County Council really do need to look at access roads in and around Braunton to make life easier for the traveller.

Room Tip: Dont go to campsites in august and expect peace!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Crusing97
Reviewed 12 September 2010

I was looking forward to staying at this place, but was deeply disappointed in what i found. I read all the reviews (or I thought I did) and thought great this is the place for us, peaceful and a beautiful place to stay. But in reality, imagine you are a long way off from shops, so what you might say that's ok we have a car but you run out of something stupid or you forgot to take something which you are going to need an essential like tent pegs. Go to the site shop they are sure to have some it's a camp site after all, but no, no tent pegs, nails yes, oh yes folks nails 9 inch nails.
These new owners are either non campers if so what are they doing in this business or they just don't care enough. If you challenge them with a complaint they manage to blame someone else, running out of gas so no hot water but that was someone elses fault , washing machines running out of electric on the meter before the cycle had finished so that was down to the washing machine repair man when it was clearly not. The cafe that is advertised from the road as open all are welcome cream tea's etc. But it doesn't say closes at 4pm so if you want a meal (had one wouldn't have another) in the evening say around 5pm tough you can't go and cook your own, no chip shops close by so either have to cook or use your car again. This site is getting more and more less eco friendly. It's encourageing you to go 5 or 6 miles to the nearest shop to get what you want. I don't mind paying a little extra for food on site rather than spending on yet more fuel. My husband wanted just one peice of bread and butter to go with his not so interesting meal and was promptly told No I don't do bread and butter, yet they do sandwiches. What is wrong with this woman (the owner) ?

The showers are brilliant that was the best thing in the toilet and shower block. But, the taps in the toilets as someone else has said they either stick and don't turn off or they just don't work, I noticed some of the sinks were a bit slimy with bits in the plug hole, considering there were only 8 tents on site at the time and I checked at the end of the week and it was still the same so draw your own conclusions.

My dog enjoyed the fast running stream (not river) that ran through the camp so she was happy. The lake which is more like a large pond was ok. Looking at the site it looks really nice with all the trees, thats what attracted me to the park, but I know of another site which is similar where I have stayed before I think I will be going back there. This has taught me a lesson stick with what you know if it's good. Don't want to mention any names but it's near Berrynarbor I think?

The owners have only been there since May, so I'm told. I hope they soon learn to be a bit more accommodating and helpful (which they are not at the moment) it's a shame because they seem like really nice people and I would hate for such a nice site to go bad, but I'm not willing to pay the prices they charge for amenities and facilities that don't seem to exist anymore.

Good luck if you are booked in I sincerely hope you have a good holiday .

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank Sandiray
Reviewed 17 August 2010

Went to this campsite for a long weekend very recently and we should have guessed we were in for a bad weekend by the response one of the staff gave us when we first arrived. When asked if there was any where at the campsite where we could have a game of cricket or football we were abruptly told "No, go to the beach!" which in my opinion is very rude!

The campsite at night was very noisy, not only was it placed right next to a main road which we could hear all night but other people that were there were playing music well into the night and standing outside of there tents smoking and making jokes ( not a great environment for children to be in).

There was also a huge problem with lighting there in that the street lights were not dimmed or turned off all night so we all found it very difficult to get to sleep!

The facilities at this campsite were not very good either in the toilets half the taps were broken and wouldn't stop running and the other half wouldn't work at all!

The staff there really should I think learn about customer service as they clearly have had no training what so ever in this!! They were abusive towards us and had no intentions to make any kind of effort with us at all which was very wrong considering the amount of money we had spent there!

Really not a great place for people with young children as staff were very unfriendly and the play park there was not much for the imagination! Also not one for those who are under 40 either as staff are very unwelcoming and were given a curfew for 10 o'clock by them.

Beautiful area though and would highly recommend going to a different campsite in the area which i know there are plenty of and all will be most welcoming and helpful as well!!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends