Carlton Hotel
USD 106*
Hotels.com
  • Bar/Lounge
The Bath House Hotel(Ilfracombe)(Great Value!)
USD 86*
Priceline
TripAdvisor
The Darnley Hotel(Ilfracombe)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe newly refurbished roomsnew ownersclay shootingevery member of staffwould highly recommend this hotelvery nice stayfriendly hoteltunnels beachesa stones throwpiping hotattending a weddingfull english breakfastcomfortable bedcoach partyreception areaoff street parkingfirst floor
Reviewed 3 July 2017

Just returned home from our weekend retreat to the newly refurbished Carlton Hotel and I can confirm it was an excellent weekend away spent with the kids. The breakfast area is spacious with a choice of both continental and a full English breakfast, all of which we were assured was sourced locally and seasonal. We also enjoyed dinner at the hotel where we opted for the fish, which again was sourced locally. Both I and the children thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and intend on returning in the near future. I would highly recommend this hotel to those with children looking for relaxing weekend.

Leslie A

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Michael R, Owner at Carlton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2017

Thank you Leslie, we are delighted the family had a great stay and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon - Michael R

Reviewed 2 July 2017 via mobile

I was a bit surprised when I had to pay as soon as I checked in, rather than at check-out, but after having then seen my room, I can see why they wanted payment upfront. I'm not going to say I didn't know there was a refurbishment programme going on, but I guess I wasn't quite prepared for how shoddy the older rooms were. They were pretty bad and at £99 for the night, I definitely felt cheated. I understand that the management might suggest I book a different room next time, but I would have liked to have seen pictures of the older rooms prior to booking so I could have made more of an informed decision at the outset.

1  Thank SpethUk
Michael R, Owner at Carlton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2017

Thank you for the review - Payment upon arrival is standard hotel practice and should not come as a surprise. Photos of all rooms are available on the hotel website as well as all of our booking partners, maybe next time you should say something during your stay rather than complain about it afterwards on social media - Michael R

Reviewed 29 June 2017 via mobile

We were fortunate enough to have a weekend stay in one of the beautifully refurbished rooms on the first floor (two of us and two black labradors!). Everything about this place smacks of an amazing attention to detail:- refurbished rooms locally sourced and truly yummy food offering great value for money: refurbished library: gym: events space.

The owners could not have been more hospitable with a real passion for being Hoteliers which is coming through in their impressive refurbishment.

So refreshing and Illfracombe should so relish The Carlton.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Michael R, Owner at Carlton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2017

Thank you for your very kind review, we are delighted you enjoyed the experience and hope to welcome you back again very soon - Michael R

Reviewed 28 June 2017 via mobile

We had two nights here having come to Ilfracombe for a wedding at the Tunnels Beaches, for which it is ideally located.
The staff were all extremely friendly and helpful from start to finish and without exception.
As mentioned elsewhere the breakfasts are very good and the refurbished breakfast area is well presented.
Ongoing renovations means that some rooms have not yet been upgraded and ours was one of those. Rome wasn't built in day and that, though. Yes the room was smaller than I would have liked but it is in the nature of these old buildings that rooms are not as big as modern soulless factory hotels. There's enough to do in Ilfracombe without you having the need to hold a party in your hotel room.
We really enjoyed our stay. Thanks to all the staff.

1  Thank connor1916
Reviewed 27 June 2017

My wife and I booked into the hotel and paid £99 for our room; we thought the cost was somewhat pricey and expected something special for our money.

As soon as we entered our room on the third floor we were extremely disappointed to find a pokey little room with a cramped and old fashioned combined shower and toilet room, a queen bed, a carpet in need of replacement and cheap furnishings (e.g drawers with hardboard bottoms). The car park was inadequate, the tea making facilities were kept in a stained wooden tray, the window frame needed a well deserved coat of paint, the WiFi did not work in our room and the fire door outside our room slammed shut everytime someone walked through it, as no one had thought to adjust the door closer, and to make matters worse everytime the fire door slammed shut the increased air pressure made our loose fitting door rattle.

If the guests in our room had been corpulent and were accompanied by large suitcases they would have struggled sleeping, using the shower and moving around the room.

All in all a rather disappointing stay.

Although the breakfast room/restaurant area was nicely furnished, our overall impression of your hotel was that is was extremely poor value for money.

All-in-all a very disappointing experience.

Room Tip: Go to another more spacious hotel
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Michael R, Owner at Carlton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2017

Further to your direct and separate emails to me post stay and as I have stated in the ensuing correspondence; it is difficuilt to resolve guest dissatisfaction after the event. Perhaps next time you might want to raise concerns during you stay and give the Owner/Operator an opportunity to resolve any issues at the time - Michael R