All reviews modern art white walls isle of wight his team vegetable garden scandinavian style danish owner home grown no tea or coffee making facilities small hotel sea view cup of tea high standard nothing is too much trouble excellent food warm welcome great attention to detail
Reviewed 14 February 2018

We were offered a sea view room (an upgrade to what we had booked in), amazing views and perfect decorated room. The cleanliness of the room was impeccable and the service as well. We had dinner on one of the nights, impeccable service as well and the food was just for our taste. We would gladly recommend and come back.
Loved the danish / Romanian humor.

- The only minus and everybody talks about it it's the lack of coffee / tea facilities in the rooms, but someone is always there to offer you a cup of something.

Room Tip: Best breakfast/dinner, very clean rooms. Ask for a sea view
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SeanLevanovski
Reviewed 30 October 2017

Fabulous combo of country house and boutique with Scandi-twist and modern art thrown in. Great breakfasts and home-grown accents (eggs, honey etc). Ventnor itself is a little run-down but go for the coast.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 October 2017

I had read a number of poor reviews about the hotel and I must admit to being a little worried after we had booked.
I couldn't understand a lot of the negatives comments, so I will relay my experiences and try to give a balanced view.

We found the building to be beautiful, inside and out, everything is white apart from a large art collection which adorns every wall. There are large art books on each table along with a bottle of wine and so I think it is fair to say that the owner is a collector! The decor and furniture is generally beautiful and mostly Danish (the owners are Danish).

Our room was spacious and warm with a large and very comfortable bed (probably the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept in). The small en suite had a good shower, some soaps and gels (no bath). The underfloor heating in the en suite is a boon when you have damp walking boots!

My personal niggle about the room is that there was no information about the hotel whatsoever, no example menus, no facility information, no info about the area apart from a couple of magazines.
I felt this was an oversight as some menus might have encouraged us to sample the "acclaimed" in house restaurant (we ate out in Ventnor at two very good restaurants)

One other thing I have to mention, as others have, is the lack of tea and coffee facilities in the rooms.We were offered tea and coffee on arrival, which was very nice and we went downstairs to the lounge to have that. But really, after a long day of walking and sightseeing the last thing I felt like doing was changing out of muddy trousers and dressing so that I could go downstairs to get a tea. I wanted to have a hot shower and relax in my room....with a cuppa!.
I would advise the owner to reconsider and allow his guests the pleasure of his tea (which is very good) in the privacy of their bedroom.

The food at breakfast was excellent, served by a very friendly waiter, there was a good choice of food, (although we only found the menu on our last morning). Basically you can have anything cooked and there was also a good choice of meats, cheese and fruit and cereals. Ample for a great breakfast and very well cooked.

The restaurant, as I said, is advertised as acclaimed, although we did not eat there. I was disappointed by the Sunday evening "simple" meal offered to us when we arrived. The beef dish we had was lacking in flavour and meat. On the other hand the desserts were lovely.I am assuming the restaurant food was much better, but we never saw a menu.

This hotel would not suit everyone. It is small, quiet and with a very personal service, there is no reception desk as such and no designated bar area, that we saw, where you can sit and have a drink. The owner is very attentive and friendly and he clearly enjoys talking to his guests which is very nice.

We enjoyed our stay at the Hillside and I am puzzled by some the extremely poor reviews. As I have mentioned this style of hotel is not for everyone, but I cannot fault it's comfort and beautiful decor.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank molly21
Reviewed 7 October 2017 via mobile

Had several nights in this stunning B & B in Ventnor on the Isle of Wight. We were greeted by the hilarious Gert who by the end of our 2 nights felt like we were saying goodbye to an old friend. Six of us were travelling together and Gert and staff went above and beyond the call of duty to make us feel welcome. The whole house is absolutely spotlessly clean but also very comfortable and beautifully designed and decorated. Be prepared for the best breakfasts you have ever had. The porridge is still a point of discussion between my sister and I!!! Thanks again Gert and staff for a memorable stay. Michelle Anderson

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 October 2017 via mobile

Hillside Hotel is an elegant establishment situated on the slopes of Boniface Down above the charming seaside resort of Ventnor. Its decor reflects the clean white lines so beloved of the Danes with a liberal sprinkling of contemporary art by a variety of artists, all of it for sale. The proprietor, of Danish extraction himself has clearly brought some of the customs of his homeland to this hotel. There are no tea or coffee making facilities in the rooms, nor even any glasses with which to drink the mineral water that is supplied other than the tooth cleaning receptacles in the bathroom. It was possible to purchase tea and coffee in the general areas, the first such beverage being free, but I must say I would have liked to have had such facilities in my room. Another rather vexing matter was the impossibility of receiving a wifi signal in our room. We made valiant efforts to connect using the code supplied but eventually gave up. I used my threeg signal, and ended up running out of data this month as a consequence. The tv offers a minimum of channels and is extremely small. As it was attached to the wall it was very difficult to see from the bed. The room was minimally cleaned each day. Beds were made when we were at breakfast, but other than that no cleaning was done. Towels were not folded nor was the bathroom cleaned or the room vacuumed. The restaurant staff, however, were excellent. Food is of a high standard, and the front of house manager most engaging. One point re the breakfast, though. I tried the vegetarian breakfast one morning. The veggie sausage was tough, and roast courgettes and squash isn't exactly what I was expecting, being perhaps a little heavy for so early in the day. All in all, fantastic location and setting, but for such high prices maybe a little more emphasis on the guests comfort is needed.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple