The Steamer Inn
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
USD 63*
  • Breakfast included
Aqua Hotel(Shanklin)
USD 111*
  • Beachfront
All reviewssteamersseafood chowderpeasside saladportion sizesan evening mealisle of wightoverlooking the seasea frontlovely locationwarm welcomewaiting staffdouble roomfamily roomthree nightsbiscuitsseafront
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 September 2011

We didn't stay here we just ate. My partner had a prawn appetiser starter which was £6.35 the description and price made us think it was a fresh prawn salad, and we were wrong the prawns were from a tin and he said the seafood sauce didn't taste right, later that night he had a very upset stomach and almost didn't make it! For mains my partner had the rump & gammon steak duo £19.50 and I had the sirloin at £16.75 Which was absolutely faultless the steak was thick and perfectly cooked even for well done it was very large portion sizes and I would recommend the side order of onion rings. If you are thinking of a pudding be warned ice cream sundae's are £6 which I thought was ridiculous for a pudding even if we were by the sea, they do have the usual chalk boards with hot and cold desserts priced at £4.50 but we were too stuffed to eat anything else! For a pint of Guinness it was £3.80 which is ridiculous but being a free hold pub they can charge what they wish!

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 12 June 2011

My partner and I have stayed in Shanklin for the last two years and on both occasions have had most of our evening meals at The Steamer Inn. We have not tried their B&B so my comments are purely about the evening meals. The menu has a large choice and all the meals we tried were extremely large, well presented and delicious. Even when busy, the service was very good with minimal waiting time. The staff were friendly and polite and we will definitely be eating there again on our next trip.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2011

Didn't stay here was staying somewhere else but I have to say the food was superb. Plate was stacked high with food, great value for money crab salad £12.25. Could be different when busy but where isn't really.

Gave the rooms a 3 star because we didn't sleep here.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed 30 May 2011

Oh dear!, it seems the steamer is trading on it's fabulous location but at the expense of basic hotel requirements such as value for money and quality of rooms.
I attempted to book a room last week only to be told that all they had left was a balcony room priced
at £90. Maybe I was being a little naive thinking that for that rate I would be guaranteed something a little bit better than a standard b&b/guesthouse. Wrong!. Tiny room, tiny tv on wall with no remote, balcony with 2 dirty green plastic chairs, pink bathroom suite with mouldy sealant around fittings. All in all, extremely poor value for money.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 3 May 2011

we stayed in a balcony room. full if spartan bathroom, comfy bed.welcoming host and staff.breakfast enormous. pub food generous servings typical pub grub.location on the seafront lovely beach very quiet at night. if you are visiting the isle of wight,try to catch the wild oats. accoustic duo singer has impressive voice and the guitarist is very good.

Room Tip: ask for a balcony room
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple