“got us out of a rut”

Oakbank House
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“got us out of a rut”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

we were staying in a cottage only to find out there had been a mix up of dates. Approaching 11pm I had to wake my 2 yr old daughter & ask my uncle & 77yr old grandmother to get dressed as the owners had found us 2 rooms at the Oakbank. They dropped us off as I had consumed alcohol & refused to drive anywhere. The owners told us the hotel they had found would cost us £40 each which I thought wasn't too bad & didn't expect to be charged for a 2yr old. As it turned out it cost us £200 for the single night for the 4 of us. The rooms were nice enough but not 5 star by any means, the dining room was very nice but the breakfast was a let down. Maybe the disappointment of what happened to us clouded my judgement but for me this hotel just isn't worth the money. The fact there was a dirty coffee cup in the room didn't help either, I don't mean just stained. Obviously the last guest had used one cup & it was still there with an inch of coffee in the bottom.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank diggerproud
dannyt, Owner at Oakbank House, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Dear Sir,

I am somewhat annoyed by your comments. If I can clarify you turned up at my premises at 11.45 pm fairly well inebriated and were it not for the fact that you had a baby with you I would have declined your request for rooms. Your story was that you had been asked to leave the accommodation you were staying in. Nobody arranged for you to book in with me.
Your party did not wish to share rooms therefore you took three double rooms at a cost of £200. I do not consider this price to be unreasonable for three double rooms.
I am sorry you did not enjoy the breakfast.
I agree with you that your unfortunate experience of the previous night clearly coloured your judgement and senses. Danny

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

just come back from an overnight stay at bowness, and stayed in this hotel, i loved it, its charming we recieved a very warm welcome on arrival and stayed in room wich had lovely views over the lake, the room was lovely and very tastefully decorated, the breakfast was amazing and all the staff we're very pleasent, you get use of leisure facilities at a neighbouring hotel, it was lovely and i recomend it, will definetly go back

Room Tip: i think all rooms are nic but ours had a view of the lake
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2011

we were so glad we chose this hotel. nice room with view of the lake,comfortable bed .tea coffee sweets sherry biscuits nice little extras. good selection for breakfast, close to shops, boats for the lake, buses.we didnt use the car for 3 days. we went to hill top to see beatrix potters house it was lovely. shame about the weather lots of rain.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jannjoe
Chatham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

We Stayed at this hotel on the 7th Sept for 2 nights , we were in room 7 , a lovely room with a view of the lake, very impressed with standard of cleanliness and little extras ,such as a small carafe of sherry in your room to warm the cockles after a rainy day , along with the normal tea & coffee.
There was tea & coffee available all day in the lounge which was a nice touch.
The breakfast was superb with a good choice of cooked food .
I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting good quality , we would definately stay again .

Pat & Garry Hurcombe Kent

Room Tip: ask for lake view
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Brussels
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2011

A nice old house with 12 rooms only. Ask for a room with lakeview. The extra in this hotel is the lounge which is in fact a kind of living room. Having booked a single room (=double room)it was nice to meet my travel companions in thuis lounge or just to read a book or to work on my PC, as there is free wireless internet in every room.
The hotel is not new, it needs some more maintenance in my view but it is sympathetic, well located and the breakfast is very good. We, being Dutch, would like to have some bread and cheese with breakfast...
Danny, the owner is very helpful, he parked our car for us several times on the steep parking place in front of the hotel and gave us ideas what to visit in the area. Coffee and tea are available in each room. In a nearby hotel you may use the indoor swimming pool and sauna and small fitness center.

Room Tip: A room on the ground floor is practical if you cannot climb the steep stairs, no lift available. A...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends