1,087 results
All reviews beatrix potter afternoon tea lovely hotel country house hotel travelzoo deal course dinner scones on arrival lake district deluxe room turn down service log fire amuse bouche no lift superb food public rooms relaxing break
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights after booking on Travelzoo. We didn’t really know what to expect. The hotel is decor is fantastic, the staff are really good and the food is excellent. We had dinner at the hotel and breakfast on both mornings and were extremely impressed. The hotel is in a good location and It’s a short walk of about 15-20 minutes into the centre of Bowness-on-Windermere. We will definitely go back.

1  Thank P R
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We have been coming to Lindeth Howe for many years but took a break because it wasn’t dog friendly. However as soon as it became dog friendly a few years ago we immediately came back even though they could only go in your bedroom. Now it is very dog friendly by being able to use the beautiful new lounge that was once the swimming pool. There are only 3 dog friendly rooms so not lots of dogs for those who don’t like them , in-fact there were only our 2 little well behaved dogs in .The whole new decor and changes are outstanding and mesmerising like a fairytale. Abit qerky but it works really well. A credit to the hotel owner and staff. An awful lot of thought has gone into it. Service was very good and efficient. The food as usual was good.
The only thing our little doggies missed was the usual treats in the room. They were looking for them lol! Will be back.

Room Tip: Lake view rooms are nice
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

My husband booked afternoon tea in advance for us, my parents, and two children, six of us in total. We chose it as it was one of the few places that has an afternoon tea for children. When we arrived we were greeted warmly by the receptionist who advised us where to go. We made our way to the lounge / bar / restaurant area and were met by a waiter. My husband explained that we had a booking for afternoon tea, but the waiter didn't take our name and just told us to sit anywhere.

Unfortunately, we couldn't find any tables for six, only for four, so we ended up pulling two tables together. Given that we had booked a table, it would have been nice for one to be ready for us.

We then had a 25 minutes wait for the waiter to us, and when he did come over he brought with him five plates and five cups and saucers. He said "So it's five deluxe afternoon teas?" and we corrected him and explained that we had booked for four adults and two children. He then took our drink order.

There was another short wait and our drinks arrived. There was plenty of tea to go around and the children had apple juice.

Shortly after the food arrived. It was beautifully presented. However, I did think that whoever designed the children's afternoon tea had probably never had children as both their cheese and ham sandwiches had pickle in them, and I have to say I don't know any child who likes pickle. We didn't get asked at any point if we would like to choose our sandwich fillings, which I found surprising as this has happened in other establishments where I have had afternoon tea before. I would also add that the selection of cakes did not match what was printed on the menu online. We didn't see a menu before we ordered.

Unfortunately, when we then discovered that one of the scones had a hair baked into it. I do appreciate that these things happen and with all due credit to the staff they were very apologetic and offered us a discount off the bill. Sadly, however with all the other niggles it made for a generally disappointing afternoon.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Emma C
ChristopherGD1, Manager at Lindeth Howe, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hello Emma-I am sorry that your children didn't appreciate the pickle in their sandwich it really would have been no trouble to prepared any other filling they may have liked.
We have such a wide variety of exciting areas to enjoy afternoon tea that we tend to ask customers where they would like to sit on arrival - some enjoy the spacious eclectic Hilltop atrium and others enjoy the garden view from the exiting vibrant lounges and then there is the more traditional library for a little peace & quiet. Hopefully we will be able to prepare a table for you on your next visit to suit your choice.
We don't generally ask what filling one would like for the afternoon tea having chosen those we feel suit the occasion and present well and generally please most tastes.
We display a sample menu, as stated, on our web site - the afternoon tea menu evolves as the seasons change and fruits come into season and go out , I am so pleased you liked the end result, thankyou.
My sincere apologies for the incident with the scone, I am personally looking into how it may have occurred indeed it is the only time I can recall it happening in my 25 years as a head chef.
hope we can be of service in the future
Christopher G. Davies
Head Chef, Food & Beverage Manager

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I have seen a couple of reviews suggesting that Lindeth Howe is tolerant of pets, but not necessarily pet-friendly, but this is most certainly not what we experienced. Upon arrival, we were greeted warmly and showed to our room, which was large, well appointed and fully equipped for a furry guest with food and water bowls, a bed, a towel and a bag of treats. The room also had it's own external doors making toilet trips a breeze. We were also informed that our dog could happily dine with us, not in the main restaurant, but in a beautifully decorated room that we were more than happy to utilise. All of that said, these were not the most important factors of our pet-friendly stay. Our highlight has to be the friendly and accommodating staff that bent over backwards to help us when our young dog did not take too well to hotel life. They did everything in their power to ensure that we could enjoy our evening meal as best we could and for this we will be eternally grateful, not least because the meal we were able to enjoy was exceptional and not to be missed. The breakfast the next morning was of an equally high standard; generous and delicious. All in all, despite some issues of our own dog's making, we were able to salvage a lovely stay which was all thanks to the highly tolerant, exceptional service we received. If you visit the area and have a dog, definitely consider staying at Lindeth Howe!

Reviewed 11 September 2018 via mobile

Our three nights at Lindeth Howe will remain in our memory forever. It was unique, the decor is a story in itself of Beatrix Potter characters.
We toured the two whole days of our stay in The Lakes District so had no need of a rental car. This meant we started the day at Lindeth Howe with breakfast and finished in the evenings with dinner in the restaurant.
We would recommend upgrading your accommodation to include both meals, it was good value.
My one complaint is feeling a little hot in bed with central heating and a heavy doona.
Would recommend for anyone heading to the Lakes District.

Stayed: September 2018