All reviews large hotel family room double bed lovely breakfast stay there again ensuite harbour
Reviewed 24 September 2018

Can I start by saying I agree with sfsw33 review on here and We too question the validity of other reviews on here so please don’t be fooled.

We are in our 60’s and 70’s and not ones for technology but so appalled by this place that We feel we should warn others.

Upon arrival the first thing noticed was a dirty entrance with dirty washing on the floor. Write up says friendly owners which could not be further from the truth as everything seemed like too much trouble. the couple publicly argued and shouted with each other in front of all guests. At breakfast male owner wore distasteful aprons (rude) and just looked rather scruffy. The female owner moaned if people asked for things and was stroppy when she hadn’t cooked enough bacon one morning, complaining that she’d have to cook more. We stuck breakfast for one day then decided to go elsewhere as was not up to hygiene standards. Had they not demanded we pay upon arrival we would have sought alternative accommodation.

The room was not particularly clean and the shower was filthy, and with dirty looking burnt orange towels provided we actually went to a shop and bought our own.

On a whole this was a shocking place to stay and we felt unclean there.

Room tip: Don,t choose a room.
Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2018

i found this hotel very accommodating, a special mention to shaun who went out his way to catch some local squid which he cooked up for me. He also took me to some local bars and introduced me to the nightlife what weymouth had to offer, the closet was the best of the bunch. Big shout out to alan, shauns partner who who whipped up some mean fajitas for dinner one night. Big up gordon and margret who very kindly opened up their bar and served me some of there finest whiskey and played some absolute filthy tunes. Very good stay felt very welcome, just like home.

Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 26 November 2017

They saved my bacon!

I had suffered a sleepless night at the hands of a large hotel yards down the road from them, due to a broken window and nightmarish Satan possessed plumbing noises. (I considered calling reception for an exorcist at 3am) I was dead on my feet and just wanted somewhere I could sleep

I tried a couple of places, one guy just got aggressive because I was standing in their door way and said he had no vacancies, even thou I had already used my smart tech to read his sign which said he did (its a camera on my glasses that you point at stuff and it reads it into your ear, cost me an arm and three legs)

I understand why a solitary male isn't a good prospect when they haven t pre booked and only intend to stay for one night. Even in the big hotels they aren't keen and the staff not used to walk ins, for me its all part of the fun, the challenge. Its how I learn about the environments I want to base my characters in.

The proprietors at Beaufort Guest House however where very welcoming to me, no messing about they had me checked in and guided to my room where I was able to sleep in bliss all afternoon.

The Bed and breakfast itself is old school, room and board in a clean fresh room/environment for a good rate with a tasty breakfast part of the deal. My room was en-suite and I loved it especially as it was chapel like quiet with only the gulls occasionally giving back ground renditions.

But alongside all its other attributes is location, location, location. Right on the beach, right by the harbour,right by the Theatre,right by the Pier, right by the shops including Tescos Gregs Macdonalds and many many others.

As a solo traveller I really enjoyed the hospitality and chat at breakfast, to be honest I would of asked to stay longer if I wasn’t still feeling so rubbish from the night before. I would certainly stay there again as I want to tour Portland and it is a good base to start from, well that had been my original plan.

Access wise for myself (severely partially sighted/blind) I would pre book and get a low floor as there is no lift, but I wouldn't expect there to be one. For the fit and able its part of the experience of this kind of seaside establishment

Thank you Beaufort Guest House.

Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank michaelnA7725EO
Reviewed 1 November 2017 via mobile

I question the validity of some of the reviews on here having stayed at the property myself. The rooms were dirty and not cleaned thoroughly the lamps were covered in dust and the mirror in the bathroom was dirty. There was also no handwash. Tv had a thick layer of dust on it and was tiny I bought cleaning wipes myself in the end and gave everything a wipe. Just old and tired and needing a revamp owners vastly out of touch with decor and what you'd expect from a 3 star establishment. More like 2 star sadly. Very disappointed given prices as a Premier inn would have been much nicer and just as expensive. Rooms very small and no duvet on bed just cover had to ask for additional blanket which given it's October I shouldn't have had to do. Windows very draughty and need replacing. Pics on website are clearly edited to show their one and only good room as others are so cramped. Nowhere logical to hang your clothes just a rack down a narrow opening which faces you vertically??!! Breakfast cheap and low quality no choices on offer only full English no additional continental which is a shame. Owners hang around at breakfast which is unsettling, payment demanded on arrival? Never paid until leaving a b&b before! I would be cautious with this place as I was so disappointed, owners are elderly and in the nicest possible way very out of touch with modern tastes and expectations. On day of leaving they were openly arguing about a bad review they had received and all the guests could hear this - they talked about how they could remove it and were trying to work out who it was. Read the reviews yourself - some sound very similar so proceed with caution.

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank sfsw33
Reviewed 30 October 2017 via mobile

Stayed here from 27 - 29 Oct for my husband's 50th birthday and was more than happy with the service we received from Margaret Gordon and Shaun. Fab hosts - nothing was too much trouble for them. We booked 2 double rooms which were lovely and clean and a nice big ensuite shower. Breakfast each morning was very nice, fresh and hot, our eldest daughter is a vegetarian but that was no problem for them and they were more than happy to cook something else for her. Washed down with fresh juice or hot tea made a perfect start to the day. Prime location right on the promenade with everything within walking distance - we loved our stay here and would not hesitate to stay here again. Well done to all!!!
Mrs Rachael Jordan