“Good and bad bits.”
Review of Dreadnought Hotel

Dreadnought Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Callander
Reviewed 3 October 2016

Pleasant and efficient lady dealt with my telephone booking with no problem. Room clean and bright but like the hotel generally a bit tired. This is typical of many old majestic style hotels and as refurbishment would probably be very expensive somewhat understandable. Soiled faded carpets however do give a poor impression. Checking in was easy and efficient. The bar service was somewhat erratic but ok until we tried to order food. The till system had packed in and no food or drink orders could be processed. On enquiry as to whether a handwritten order could be passed to the kitchen and our room be charged when the system came back on was met with the bewildering response of NO then when pressed as to why, the response was I DONT WANT TO. We left and had a very pleasant lunch at a nearby hotel which I wont name here as I don't want this to appear to be a malicious review by a competitor. Generally though the service was good and helpful - the room rate was somewhat expensive but due to the local jazz festival being on probably reflected to laws of supply and demand. Some of the events were held in the hotel so it was very handy. The breakfast was plentiful and on the busy weekend morning was served buffet style and was fine. However the following morning with few residents the breakfast was individually cooked and expecting it to be much more freshly served was surprised to find it obviously had been sitting too long in the kitchen and was not very pleasant. So all in all ok but only just!

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Martin W

Reviewed 30 September 2016 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights while in Callendar for a wedding.

I arrived around 7pm to check in and was greeted by a gentleman who got me checked in quickly but obviously did not want any chat during the process. Once this was done, he directed me to my room.

Once in the room I found it to be of a reasonable standard, perfectly clean with the bed made up. In the room was the standard hotel furniture, a TV with some freeview channels and a spectacularly comfortable bed.
The bathroom was a bit of a letdown with an old shower that was a bit temperamental but once conquered provided plenty of hot water and pressure.

I had booked the breakfast option for both mornings and it was excellent. Plenty of choice with hot food, cereal, toast and fruit, along with complimentary drinks.

My overall impression of the hotel was one of faded grandeur, that it had been a magnificent hotel in its day, with the traditional carpet, wide corridors and overall feel. But sadly these days have gone. With a refurbishment all over it could be a magnificent hotel once again.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 September 2016

Respect started before I arrived – I didn't have to pay a deposit and could have cancelled without penalty right up to the day of arrival.
My room was left to me throughout my stay, i.e. not "made up".
I didn't have to pay for breakfast, which I don't usually eat, but could make as much coffee as I liked in my room – I could help myself to extra sachets from a bowl on the reception desk – no need to ask.
And I had till 11 to check out on the last day.

Recommended for anyone who likes privacy!

Oh, and they had a real single room :-)

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 September 2016

Whilst rooms and decoration are a bit tired the rooms are spacious and beds comfortable. Bar and Breakfast food is very good.The staff are helpful and friendly.
Free car parking albeit on rough ground and free WIFI. Overall great value and location.

Room Tip: Front for views or Back to avoid traffic noise.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2016 via mobile

Worst lunch ever. Terrible fish and chips. No refund. Would not allow my dog to eat there. My wife felt nauseous an hour later.
Please stay away, cross the road to give it a wide berth. Callander is a lovely wee town pity it has this establishment on the high street.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple