New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #5 of 31 Christchurch B&B and Inns
Poole, United Kingdom
“Murder Mystery night”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

28 people went for a surprise birthday party for friends of ours and we were directed to the Pullman carriage at the side of the hotel after we had paid our £32.95 each for the evening meal and entertainment that we had pre ordered through our host.We had two long tables which each contained 14 guests. We had one waitress for the night and two guys who were performing for the mystery night. When the first course was served the two guys served with the waitress and on the far table we were one starter missing. They offered an alternative. On the main course we were again one main meal short, they did eventually bring a meal out but the vegetables had been served seperately and were cold. On the last course we had 3 missing, they would only offer two alternatives and the manager did come out and talk to us but blamed our party for taking the wrong food when bought to the table. I have no complaints to the quality or quantity of the food but the poor waitress was run off her feet and was only able to get all the meals out with the help of the two guys, who were nothing to do with the hotel staffing. The night was a success in all but the service was very poor, this has no reflection on the staff left to deal with the serving of our meals though.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Wollongong, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

The breakfast is served in a lovely restored train carriage. The bed is a bit soft, but we were so tired it didn't make much difference. The taxi driver from the airport (1 mile away) didn't know where the hotel was and drove us round and round. Because we arrived so late - after midnight, there were clear instructions left as to which room and where to go. Very helpful.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

I spent 3x nights (pre booked by company) on arrival I found room really cold, once i turned the radiator on, and a few hrs later it warmed up. Everything that you require, kettle,tea,coffee etc was there. I think a bit of TLC would not gone a miss a lick of paint on the walls, a dust around light fittings. The sink in bathroom would not drain water away stright away (it could of done with a real good clean) I could hear the next room going to bathroom, as the fan comes on when light is swithed on as well as hear the toilet flush (could also hear his snoring) WIFI was hit n miss. What made up for this was really helpful staff, nice good value food( todays specials).Breakfast was served in train carriage, not a big breakfast eater ,but I could see it seemed really nice..no marmalade? £45.00 for b and b
If I was to be visiting area would I go again..I think I would, bet its really nice in the summer?

Room Tip: Not all rooms have a bath, so make sure you ask question
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

On arrival me and my partner were looking forward to eating at this place as we live local we chose our starter and main and ordered our drinks we then we was reccomended a fine wine of which my partner loved but on ordering that same drink again they could not remember which one it was second time around so my partner got left with a drink she never liked ! On to the starter , my partner had king prawns but it seemed like it was just batter sticks , I had the stuffed mushroom , more liked dried with hardly any sauce ! Onto the main my partner ordered muscles and there is nothng worse than ordering a meal which they have run out of ! Put a sign up stating this ! Poor customer service ! Sue then opted for the curry, 1 poppadom , spoon full of rice and a small bowl of juice with some chicken , I opted for scampi and chips ( large ) again very poor quantity 7-8 scampi bits and about 15 chips ! Did I miss a sign that said fine dining that means small amounts ? No , I certainly won't be eating here again the staff seemed to be lacking customer service and its a good job a staff member never asked if our meal was ok , oh another mistake they didn't enough said !

• Stayed January 2012
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

We went to the Avon Causeway yesterday for a carvery. The food was excellent, well cooked and good value. it would have been nice if the vegetarian option (nut roast) was advertised as one member of our party had a meal off the main menu not realising this was a choice. Long queue for carvery (15 mins) but it was 2pm! Dirty plate offered twice and both wine glasses were smeary and clouded. This lack of detail was a shame because, overall, the food was outstanding and the waiter serving attentive and friendly.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Newbie31
avoncauseway Y, General Manager at The Avon Causeway, responded to this review, 15 November 2011
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you very much for your honest comments.

I am the new General Manager of the Avon causeway since 18th of may 2011. The high quality customer service and the customer satisfaction is paramount for us. I am very sorry that you have experienced very poor service. This is inexcusable and unacceptable. I will immediately start an investigation and inform you about the progress.

Our customers are always giving us very positive feedbacks about their experience in Avon causeway. i can assure that your experience is not our everyday practice and will never repeat again.

Once again please accept my apologies. I would like to invite you to Avon causeway as my guest. Please contact me by email or phone as soon as you can.

Kindest Regards