“Very good but Could be excellent”
Review of The Lion at Thurne

The Lion at Thurne
Ranked #39 of 359 Restaurants in Great Yarmouth
Price range: USD 5 - USD 28
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We decided to try the Lion at Thurne as I had heard that the food was lovely. We went for a lunch and found it very busy. We were shown to a big open room which was ok but the door was open in the middle of the room to allow the customers who were in the garden to come through to the bar not making it very warm, welcoming or restaurant like. We moved to the smaller middle room and sat by the window, but again the cold from the front door opening and the other door being open made us sit with our coats and scarfs on. We waited ages to be served as there was only 1 member of staff running around for the food side and 1 person behind the bar. There was no information about if you needed to order at the bar or if it was table service, no wine menus on the table to browse through just a gin menu. After about 20 minutes we were asked what we would like, the waitress did say that they didn’t think it would be busy for lunch hence the lack of staff. We ordered drinks and food, after 10mins our drinks arrived and I would say another 20ish minutes later our food, we had also moved again as we were freezing and found a radiator. Food was wonderful, hot and full of flavour and this is why I think we will go back and try again to see if it runs more smoothly.
There is building work going on at present inside and out and again in the big dinning room so this doesn’t add to a restaurant feel at all, maybe it’s not a restaurant as we know but the prices are not cheap so you do expect somewhere nice to sit.

ricky m, Manager at The Lion at Thurne, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2018

Thank you for your review. We are really happy that you enjoyed the food and apologise for the delays that you experienced. The final works are due to completed in May so we really hope that you return and enjoy your next visit.

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

We have spent a week on the Broads and this is the best place we found. Highly recommend pork burger and pie of the day.

However the highlight of our meal was the service which was quite simply outstanding!

With the best choice of beers I’ve seen in a pub as well, this is definitely a place to search out and enjoy.

Well done and congratulations - my family all thoroughly enjoyed our evening.

1  Thank Ian F

Thank you for your great review, we are really happy that you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

So, today me and a couple of friends came for a social drink, we decided to have some food whilst visiting, I must say The pub is decorated exceptionally well and the food was marvellous - but was trumped by the wonderful service from our waitress Beth. Which brings me nicely onto the main reason for leaving this review.

You're a lovely looking lady Beth, if you fancy a drink some time, feel free to pop me a message on 07491144605

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Visited whilst on the Broads for Easter Sunday. Lovely refurbishment and Sunday lunch was fabulous. Mackerel pate was superb, will definitely return again!

1  Thank SammieS123
Reviewed 1 April 2018

Today, 5 friends and I enjoyed an Easter afternoon lunch and pint at The Lion. The pub is decorated exceptionally and the food was marvellous - but was trumped by the wonderful service from our waitress Beth. Which brings me nicely onto the main reason for leaving this review.

Beth, if you'd like to hear how the pint cartons went down, give me a text on 07752990946 - it would be great to hear from you.

4  Thank Harry4Beth