All reviews town centre buffet style triple room top floor car park welcome drink free parking would stay again lady on reception nice room great value for money biscuits lovely hotel quiet location bar and restaurant one night stay piece hall
Reviewed 4 April 2018

We stayed two nights that had been purchased with a groupon voucher with drinks included on arrival, however we were given a voucher for drinks to be used between 6pm and 9pm. I asked for these drinks at 5pm and was told it was a strict policy that I could only have these if we returned between 6pm and 9pm. This appeared to be a way of getting people to return so that drinks would be bought from their bar.

The room was a decent size and initially looked clean but then we noticed that it was dusty and dirty along skirting boards etc. The bed wasn’t very comfortable and creaked every time you sat on it or moved! The insulation between the rooms isn’t very good as we could hear someone snoring in the room next door and the hotel was very noisy at times during the night with other guests coming and going.

The water pressure for the shower was poor so we used the bath but the plug for this was broken too.

The breakfast wasn’t up to much and the quality of the sausages was very poor and they tasted cheap. On both mornings we had to wait for food as dishes had not been restocked for the buffet self service.

This is a cheap hotel but I think this is reflected in the quality of what you get and while it wasn’t the worst experience we wouldn’t book to go again.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Had a lovely stay with my family over the bank holiday weekend. The hotel is under new ownership and has had new lift put in .Excellent breakfast hot and cold .coffee machine serving cappuccinos at breakfast and latte .there is lovely juice machine as well. Simon was brilliant at check in went out of the way to help us park our car.Excellent customer service .lovely clean room .nothing was too much trouble .
The hotel has undergone recent refurbishment.
I don't know about others I will definitely return and would recommend the place to anyone .ignore earlier comments .it is an excellent place with excellent value for money

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank amitbrad2002
Reviewed 2 April 2018

First and foremost the wool merchant was very cheap. Having said that it is showing signs of age and wear plus the cleanliness was a little lacking. the bed was fine and the bedclothes / towels clean but the toilet flush was erratic and the shower too low for a six - footer to stand under. There were stains on the carpet floor (not just one or two either) and I would expect any hotel to have their own carpet cleaner - a modern one will leave carpets virtually dry so no problem with the next guest having damp carpet. The breakfast was adequate, the location ideal for Halifax centre and once again it was VERY cheap.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

My husband stayed here last night. It only cost £30 as was last minute. I don't know how much the hotel costs usually. He was supposed to stay there with his son but arrived too late.

He was in a triple room, in a single bed. The room was ok but behind the bed was loads of chewing gum and it was generally just I clean.

Breakfast was included in the price but he didn't want to stay for it.

It was £30 for the night, I don't think you can ask for much but expect it to be clean. Premier inn where he usually stays was not available.

My advice - just book premier inn or the travelodge.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 29 March 2018

The Wool Merchant is perfectly placed to access anywhere in Halifax town by foot and easily accessible by car as well. There is adequate free parking right next to the hotel. Every member of staff that we saw was helpful, friendly, approachable and knowledgable about the area. The room was clean and fresh and well decorated. The en-suite was spotless and we had a choice of shower and bath. There was plenty of storage for clothes, we had clean towels daily and the room and surrounding hallways were pleasantly warm.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel