All reviews wedding breakfast from start to finish wedding reception honeymoon suite wedding venue sowerby bridge roast beef pie continental breakfast bride and groom following morning stayed here for one night bar and restaurant carvery guests function meal
Reviewed 3 April 2018

We booked our wedding ceremony and reception at the Hotel via a Groupon. I was put in touch with Anastasia and Joanne to make all the arrangements. I can not praise them both enough for making all the arrangements and the day itself so easy and perfect.

The package included 40 day guests and 70 evening guests, with a drinks package and canopies all of which was really nice. There was an option to additional day guests at a cost of £90 / hd and £25 / hd for evening guests. In the package also included the honeymoon suite. we did not use this on the wedding night.

The wedding day itself could not have gone better, really relaxed and great fun. This was partly due to the work that went on in the background by all the staff at the hotel.

Some of our guests stayed in the accommodation so whilst I can not comment on their view i heard no bad reports so assume everything was OK.

We went back to hotel 1 week later to stay in the honeymoon suite as part of the Groupon package. The room was very nice, clean and tidy followed by a full english breakfast in the morning which was very nice

We did have for us a big spoiler that there was no hot water on the evening as there is a large bath that we intended to use. I did inform the owner of the hotel on the evening and he did manage to get warm (not hot water through), we went out for an evening meal with the intention of having a HOT bath later that evening - unfortunately there was no hot water which spoiled our evening. I did mention again in the morning there was no hot water in the evening and advised to contact Joanne. Below are the emails exchanged.

Hi Joanne,

As you know we stayed on Sunday evening, the room was great nice touch with the petals, however we did have no hot water on the evening.

I did speak to the man at the bar (sorry don't know his name), he checked the boiler and could not find anything wrong, he then came to our room and after 10 mins or so did manage to get warm (not hot water)

We went out for an evening meal, when we got back we wanted a bath but again no Hot water which now spoiled our evening. we did not speak to anyone as it was fairly late.

The water in the shower did work in the morning.

I spoke to the guy in the bar in the morning to say we had no hot water in the evening.

As you can imagine this was a real shame to end a fantastic week on a low point.

My request is to have the honeymoon suite again free of charge on another agreed date once the water is fixed as compensation as this really did spoil our evening plans.

Many Thanks Chris

Below is the response back which I find very disapointing as nothing was offered at all in way of compensation.

Dear Mr Law,

Thank you for your email and I am sorry to hear of the experience you had on Sunday evening.

I can confirm the gentleman you spoke with was the owner of the hotel and as such he has informed me I am unable to offer the suite as complimentary on a further occasion as he had already addressed this on check out.

I am sorry this ended your week of celebrations on a low note as I know the team worked very hard to provide you with memorable day.

Kind regards,

Joanne

I would recommend the venue for a wedding and again thankyou to Anastasia and Joanne for their hard work on the wedding day. Its a shame the honeymoon suite left a sour note at the end of a fantastic week, it leaves me sad to say I would not recommend staying at the accommodation as I felt the issue with no hot water was handled badly without any resolve offered.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
5  Thank chris306law
Reviewed 22 March 2018

This was my second stay in this hotel and was very disappointed to say the least. Initially while dealing with hotel over phone/email was very good. Upon arrival the staff were very accommodating as we arrived early morning our rooms were ready and we were able to avail of the breakfast available. The rooms were clean and tidy beds were advertised as king sized but were not. As we had a family funeral to attend and had an early flight we decided to have our evening meal in the hotel and have a relaxing evening this is where things nosedived. There were seven in our group and we were all seated at one bare table ie no tablecloth (which was present in previous trip) in the cold dining room. Our order had been taken in the bar area prior to being seated and one member of the group asked for a sauce with her steak. The starters were just ok nothing exciting but the main course were terrible. The sauce did not arrive for the steak neither did any steak knives. The meatballs in tomato sauce were very dry not cooked in the sauce the pasta was under heat lamps so long it was dried up. The steak looked like it had been boiled rather than grilled or fried it was tasteless I did not even eat mine the chips accompanying them were cooked too quick outside well done inside not cooked fully. Basically compared to previous visit the standard has declined dramatically. Complained to young waitress who apologised. Went to bar to pay and repeated complaints was met with oh will pass it on still had to pay for my food which I did not eat. When spoke to receptionist regarding our complaints found her very attentive and assured me she would look into it. A week later still have heard nothing so hence this review. Will not be returning to this hotel seems to be only good for overnight stays i.e sales rep stopovers certainly not longer stays as bar closes early no other facilities within the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
4  Thank Melissa E
TheTowerHouseHotel, Manager at The Tower House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2018

I am sorry you found your stay disappointing this time around.
I agree that our front of house staff provided fantastic service prior to your booking and arrival, providing you refreshments so that you could attend your day accordingly.
The rooms differed for your parties needs and we catered for this as per the booking information. We also amended this where necessary upon your request free of charge and at our discretion because of your continued custom and group booking.
I apologise you were not given the option of steak knives which upon further investigation is a training issue that has been addressed. I can assure you though that everything was prepared freshly and the steaks had been fried as requested. The meatballs were also prepared freshly. I have discussed the service and standard with the kitchen and service team and whilst a minimum number of service training was required it was also accepted that customer expectation was different to what was detailed.
The bar stays open to customers requirements until midnight and I believe it was even longer during your stay due to your requirements. We do not provide a 24 hour facility.
I spoke to you directly in regards to your concerns on the morning of your departure and you specifically asked me not to make a fuss and that you required no refund but thought better to mention your findings so we could address any issues. At no point did you discuss any further feedback or recompense.
I am sorry if you do not revisit the hotel as I believe we provided everything required by your parties needs and it would be excellent if we were able to host your party again.

Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

This was my daughters 1st mothers and one she will remember! For all the wrong reasons. The starters arrived which were very nice we then waited hour before we could go for the carvery as they had run out of roast potatoes and cauliflower cheese so they’d asked us to wait not ideal when you have 10month old baby in a high chair who by this time had been sat there 1.5 hours! The waitress can over and said we could up to the carvery but still when we go there no roast potatoes and about dozen new potatoes left and there was 5 adults! My son in law had ordered the fish pie which looked absolutely gorgeous however when he started to eat it the main ingredients were missing it was a fish pie without the fish! By this time we just wanted to leave, when we had finished our meal minus any potatoes the waitress arrived at our table with 2 bowls of what she called roast pots however they were just large chips as they’d be throw in the deep fryer we didn’t eat them as we had finished! We asked for the bill twice and in the end had to go to the bar on the way out to get the bill they said they would not charge us for the fish pie however it was on the bill but we didn’t pay for it! We definitely won’t be going back, unless things change, we will keep an eye on here to see!!!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
6  Thank shardy50

I am sorry you did not enjoy your time with us on Mothers Day.
The Mothers Day Carvery had very high demand and as such it was very busy during service.
I was asked to inspect the Fish Pie which was sent to the kitchen and indeed it looked gorgeous and on closer inspection did contain plenty of fish. We didn't receive any other complaints regarding the pie but I do agree customers expectations are different and on this occasion we did not meet yours and for this I apologise.
As you will appreciate we are not a main high street branded carvery and we pride ourselves in ensuring all our produce is fresh and replenished so I am sorry that you waited for your main course carvery.
I can only apologise for your experience and that we did not meet your expectation.
I do hope you will be able to join us at another time as the food is fresh, produced to order and sourced from local suppliers.
Kind regards

Reviewed 10 March 2018

If you want cold ‘hot beef’ sandwiches, curry out of a can and frozen pizzas for your wedding buffet, then this is the place for you! My auntie and uncle paid to have their wedding ceremony and night-do at this establishment and yes, I must admit the ceremony was beyond delightful... however when we’re being shifted from one freezing room to another and not allowed to move about any other part of the hotel, it kind of ruins the magic for the wedding party and guests. It was that cold that the grooms mother and uncle had to leave the premises as they are elderly and could not bare it. After asking for the heating to be turned on by many guests, it was, however it took about 3 hours to feel a difference in temperature. We then sat down for an afternoon tea, whereby we were told we would be provided with a range of sandwiches, cakes, coffee, tea and prosecco. My grandma, who paid for the addition of the afternoon tea was made aware before the day that they could provide something for her as she has food allergies and couldn’t eat the things provided, however when it came to, there was nothing she could eat. The table was filled with chickpea and coriander sandwiches and a few chicken and bacon ones which tasted of vinegar. Why would you provide ‘chickpea’ over the traditional ham and cheese that people will actually eat? Once making the staff aware that my grandma couldn’t eat anything on the table, they brought her out an egg sandwich. When the night-do started, a buffet was put on for guests and it’s a good job that not everyone turned up to the day as it would have not fed everyone - it was on the small side. My auntie and uncle paid for homemade hot beef sandwiches with gravy, which evidently came out dried up, cold and the gravy was nowhere to be seen; fish finger sandwiches which were never even made and a range of homemade curries, yet there was one curry put out on the table and tasted like it was from a can bought from a shop - horrendous! When trying to bring up these issues with the hotel via email, my auntie received a very defensive email stating that non of this was true. It was also stated by the hotel that some of our family ended up having an ‘argument’ and was told ‘this happens when families who haven’t seen each-other in a while’ - there was no fight, or argument and non of my family have ever, nor will ever create a scene at any establishment and I do not understand where this accusation originated from. When trying to organise a meeting between the hotel, my auntie, uncle and grandma, many excuses were made including that of snow, which was nowhere to be seen, illness and some other issues. My auntie then received a hand written letter to her door stating she should drop the issue and they are not going to take it any further. The service at this establishment is absolutely horrendous - not whilst in the hotel as the staff were lovely, but how the issue has been handled since is appalling. What a shame....

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
8  Thank ashleighmaran
Reviewed 23 February 2018

what can you say about a business that is still making excuses not to meet.A wonderful wedding good afternoon tea apart from chickpea sandwiches,but the evening meal was awful not what we asked for .It looked like they had run out of food and gone to the local supermarket .also take your coat no heating on till our third time of asking,some older members of family had to leave as just to cold for them .

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family