All reviewsbothy barpay car parkcentral locationthe breakfast areareception staff were friendly and helpfulrabbies tourrooms are beautifulbath and showeran older buildingpub foodeasy walking distancebiscuitstwo single bedsscottish breakfastprevious nightbottled waterpudding
Reviewed 24 February 2017

The end of February is perhaps not the best time to visit Orkney, but the vast room, kindly staff and good breakfast meant our wild, wet and windy 3 nights were relaxing and enjoyable. The bed was so comfortable...

Room Tip: Off season, more than one night go for 110!
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Susan B
Reviewed 14 February 2017

My wife and I have been going to Matchmakers Lounge bar for a few years and have almost always enjoyed our meals. Lately standards have been slipping, culminating in a poor meal last week.
It took twenty five minutes for our meal to appear. My fish pie was red hot in places and icy cold in others. The peas were barely cooked. The mashed swede was the best item on the plate.
My wife's curry had liitle to no seasoning in the chicken, just warm, and the chips were similar. The poppadom was dripping with olive oil, to the point of being inedible. Both of the plates were cool and this probably contributed to the warm to barely hot food. We gained the impression that the food had been sitting for a while before being brought through from the kitchen.
I insisted on paying for the meal after pointing out the problems, as I didn't want to give the impression that I was complaining in order to be given the meal for free.
You can forgive a lot if the meal is palatable. Unfortunately the twenty five minute wait and the quality of the food presented, did not reflect well on the Albert Hotel.

I wont be dining there for a while as a result. Maybe mid summer I'll give it a go again.

Hopefully the place will redeem itself. Very disappointing

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ORKNEYBEAR
Reviewed 30 December 2016

We were in town to do a Christmas shop, for the coming festivities. So as we often d o we dropped in to Matchmakers, on this occasion we decided on a starter & a sweet, so we ordered the Cullen Skink (soup). We have had it many times in various places but this was the best we have had, so WELL DONE the Chef.
I would just like to wish all the staff a happy New Year

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank christinerousay
Reviewed 15 November 2016

This hotel was very central, the perfect location for my work trip and was easy to find from the airport. The reception was unattended when I arrived but there is a bell to ring and someone came promptly. The rooms were modern and fairly large, the bathroom looked like it had recently been renovated. All the usual facilities however I did find it to be slightly noisy through the night, it sounded like a water heater or boiler. Otherwise a great stay and I would return again.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled on business
2  Thank Leigh-Anne H
Reviewed 13 November 2016 via mobile

Stayed at the Albert for two nights during a work visit. Great location, walking distance to everything you need. Lovely hotel, rooms well-equipped, large modern wet room, immaculate and very comfortable. Fabulous breakfast and attentive staff.

Only have one wee negative. While the bathroom was modern, spacious with plenty free products, the shower head was in dire need of some attention. Water went in every direction except down!

Stayed: November 2016, travelled on business