“Shabby Chic?”

and 1 more site!
Belle Epoque
Ranked #7 of 14 Knutsford B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 June 2011

I never thought I'd use that term!
My husband stayed here on business a couple of times 20 years ago & fancied a return trip. It is really a restaurant with rooms, rather than a hotel.. We had the room pictured on their web site. It was nice enough but the photo is flattering. HUGE bathroom.
It is a very odd place, one of the oddest I have stayed in, including a ex-brothel in Toronto.
The staff could not have been nicer & breakfast was very good. It was the evening meal which let the place down - which is surprising given it's reputation. The menu sounded excellent, albeit pricey. What actually came was mediocre - perfectly edible but not special. I got bored with my main course & left a fair bit. At these prices I should have expected bread - good bread- with the meal as standard & an amuse-bouche.

Room Tip: We were told our room, 7, was the best.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 May 2011

OK, so this is my first review and I hope that it comes across as balanced and will help you decide whether or not you would like to visit Belle Epoque.

A small group of girlfriends (seven) stayed recently to celebrate a forthcoming wedding and a birthday. From the moment we arrived the staff were very helpful especially giving us access to park in the hotel's small driveway and accommodating one of our guests when she was struggling with chronic back pain. To be frank the bedrooms were as expected for a hotel of that age, each with their quirks; some had bigger rooms with smaller bathrooms and others vice versa. This isn't a hotel (and I don't believe it purports to be) where you would want to spend the weekend in your bedroom.

That aside, why did I feel compelled to write a review? It was the dinner ... first of all they accommodated us changing the time which was good of them but the restaurant wasn't full so would have been surprised had this been a problem, we were seated but not offered any bread (there were side plates) and not asked if we wanted to order wine therefore we began our starters with nothing to accompany them. I eventually managed to order three bottles of wine £20 - £40 each only to be told that they didn't have two of them. However the most disappointing element was the food itself, two of us ordered half a lobster and to say it was on the small side is a real understatement, I had two mouthfuls and it was gone. I did quietly point this out to the restaurant manager who had a chat with the chef and he very politely told me the best he could do was to reduce them from £35 to £20 each which I still feel was very much on the steep side. Unfortunately the rest of the food was fairly bland side so overall I would say dinner was underwhelming. The breakfast menu was good but again the mixed grill was very small so I can only surmise that either the hotel believes its guests prefer smaller portions or the chef is trying to balance his GP?

To surmise, the bedrooms are fine for an evening, dinner was very expensive and of average quality but the staff were excellent.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Netty101
Reviewed 8 April 2011

I got married at the Belle Epoque in December 2010 and had the most amazing, perfect day imaginable. I would quite happily do the whole thing again every week!

Leading up to the day itself Collette was great at answering our many(!) questions and making sure everything was organised. To any future brides or grooms getting married there... definitely listen to her advice regarding timings and quantities of food/drink etc as her suggestions turned out to be spot on.

Regarding the day itself... it was perfect!

The staff were all wonderful, particularly Mark who was on hand all day and evening. He even came and stood ankle deep in the snow outside when we were having our photos taken and kept handing me a glass of winter pimms to have a sip between photos.

The food was amazing, even when catering for a large group. Mind you, they host so many weddings that you would expect the kitchen to be able to cater for large groups quite well by now. We had canapes instead of a starter and the 'tasting of lamb' as our main. Dessert was sticky toffee pudding. I couldn't fault any of it. I can't comment on the evening buffet as I was too busy dancing to eat any, however i'm told it was good.

The building is stunning, I really like the quirkyness of it and the nooks and crannies. Our room was fine and the bathroom was huge!

If I had to make one suggestion it would be to improve the breakfasts. Not the quality of the food as that was great, but the quantity. Breakfast was served buffet style for the whole group but there wasn't really enough. They literally provided one of everything per person. When you've got a group of hungry (and in some cases hungover!) people I think it's better to over-cater. In our case it meant that some people ate breakfast whilst others had to wait 15 minutes for more food to be prepared.

However, this was a tiny blip in what was otherwise a fantastic day in a wonderful venue.

I would absolutely recommend it!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank EmmaRC
Reviewed 15 March 2011

Fantastic place - the food was of the highest standard and very reasonably priced for the quality. The New Brasserie menu had a lot of my favourite classic type dishes, I had lobster bisque and a steak, both were fantastic. Still room though to squeeze in an equally as good creme brulee. We stayed over and the hotel staff were courtesy and friendly throughout, the room was very nice with a large terrace overlooking the street. Highly recommend a visit.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2011

My husband & I were married at Belle Epoque in Knutsford 4th Feb 2011, the day was perfect in every way. My friends & family have said it was the best wedding they have ever been to. The venue has such an intimate feeling & creates such an amazing atmosphere for everyone.
From a brides point of view planning the day was an extremely smooth process the help & advise from the team was invaluble to me. I really wanted to put together an intimate day that was was completely stress free - my advise to future brides is to put there trust & faith into Belle Epoque they will turn your dream into reality & deliver excellent food, wine & service. The Belle Epoque is such a romantic venue with lots of character it has a style of it's own that no other venue I viewed had......
Value for money is excellent, I want to do it all again!!!!!
Thank you Belle Epoque I look forward to seeing you soon.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple