“Poor service but good food”
Review of The Royal Oak

The Royal Oak
Ranked #21 of 121 Restaurants in Lymington
Price range: USD 5 - USD 24
Cuisines: Pub, Grill
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Royal Oak at Downton Lymington has been transformed from an already beautiful 18th Century Coach House into a stunning country pub and restaurant. We are concentrating on providing friendly, first class service alongside freshly made on the premises, locally sourced dishes with a slight twist on pub classics, ensuring the menu is appealing to discerning diners. Serving Food ALL DAY – EVERY DAY alongside the menu will be fresh daily specials also locally sourced. We are catering for the larger and smaller appetite, and have a totally fresh menu for junior diners. With mouth watering desserts there is also the option of your own personalised cheeseboard from our premium cheese trolley
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We went twice in a few days as we were staying at the local holiday park.
First visit was Easter Sunday which was obviously busy. However we didn’t expect to wait 45 minutes to get menus, especially when they were using a set sitting times. Another hour to wait for food which again was disappointing when we have 2 young children and an elderly mum. In fairness this was made slightly better by a complimentary bottle of wine. When our food did arrive they had forgot to cook the children’s dishes. When these did arrive we got them free. The saving grace was that the food was actually really good!
Because the food was good we returned later in the week (which I don’t think was acknowledged), and put the service down to a busy Easter Sunday. Again, the food was good but they seemed short staffed and service was pretty poor again, having to go to the bar to take empty glasses and get drinks, then having an abrupt young lady mumble something about a service charge.
In summary, if they could sort the service out and stop making basic mistakes this could be a great restaurant!

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

I was looking forward to visiting the newly opened Royal Oak having been several times to it’s sister pub The New Forest Inn at Emery Down it didn’t disappoint.
My friends and I all ordered different sandwiches I had the bacon, Brie and cranberry ( personal favourite) and it was really good very tasty. My two friends equally enjoyed their fish finger sandwich and cheese and chutney sandwich. We also shared some chips which were really nice. We ordered hot drinks after the food, the cappuccino I had was a bit weak and didn’t have a lot of flavour, the other drinks were fine although they don’t do cafetières.
The service was very good and friendly and the new decor is appealing and welcoming. I’m looking forward to returning to try the main menu.
Really pleased the pub is open again and wish the owners every success for the future.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

This was our first visit for many years. As The Royal Oak is now one of a small group of local forest pubs which serve excellent food, we had to give it a try.

First impressions were good, they have refurbished the pub well and it is very inviting. The welcome was warm and friendly.

There is a very good menu and specials which made our choice very difficult. I particularly liked that some meals are offered as a normal or small portion - a really good idea.

We tried starters from the menu Pan Seared Scallops and Venison, Black Pudding and Redcurrant Scotch Egg. Both were very tasty although perhaps three scallops for £9.99 was a bit expensive

For mains we chose from the Specials - Sea Bass Fillets and Battered Haddock with homemade chips. Unlike the Scallops the Haddock was a huge 10oz portion so very good value.

We didn’t manage to fit in dessert but the choices looked tempting.

We thought the food was of excellent quality and we will definitely add The Royal Oak to our favourite lunch venues.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

We were really excited about eating here for our 12th wedding anniversary with friends, we had been looking at the menu and pretty much decided what we were having prior to arrival.

My wife and I had decided we were going to have the camembert with truffle and homemade rosemary bread to start, I was very disappointed when it arrived and there wasn't any sign of truffle or homemade rosemary bread, it was just plain thick load and only three small slices bearing in mind it was supposed to be a sharing plate?

Anyway after asking the waiter where my absent truffle had gone he replied it was truffle oil that was poured over the camembert (it didn't look like there was!)

He returned with the manager who's response was it would be much more money if they use truffles to grate over it this was already £11.99 for a camembert and three slices of bread, I would say that's quite a good margin anyway!

For the main course I ordered the lamb rump which the menu said would be cooked pink, ideal, just how I like it, when it arrived it was well done, by this time it was quite late and we had the kids with us so I didn't send it back, I ate it and it was very tasty, but would have liked it cooked as stated on the menu.

My wife had the pork chop which stated on the menu bubble and squeak cake which wasn't present, she was understandably disappointed at this as well.

It was a very tasty meal but after spending £207 between 4 adults and 4 children and not receiving what was on the menu would not be returning in a hurry.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

We have always enjoyed a great value meal at The Royal Oak. This pub/ restaurant has now changed hands and I decided to book it for Easter Sunday lunch. My first doubts surfaced when I emailed to book but received no reply. So I phoned and booked the table. I was told, as it was Easter Sunday, they would be doing 'sittings' at 12 and 2pm. I didn't much like the sound of that (bit like school dinners) but thought we'd give it a try. A few days later I had a reply to the original email saying they could only offer me 12 noon or 5pm. I replied to say I had already booked over the phone. This was confirmed.
So we arrived at 12 noon on Easter Sunday to find the doors were not yet open but we didn't have to wait too long. The table was nice and the new menus are beautifully presented- it's a shame no one checked the spelling of 'discretionary' and 'service' which is incorrect on all pages. We waited 20 minutes to order then another 40 minutes to receive our main course (we didn't order starters). However, people who went for the roast were being served before us. I ordered the pie. This had been cut from a larger pie and reheated. The edges were dry and crispy and I could not cut the pastry- all a little over done I'm afraid. However, on the plus side, my daughter said the ham was the best she had ever tasted and my other daughter had a very tasty wrap.
Desserts were lovely although some were on the small side for £5.99. We had now been in the restaurant for over 2 hours and it had emptied out a lot. Not sure what happened to the 2pm sitting as the tables didn't appear to fill up again whilst we were there.
A 10% service charge is added to the bill but it was made very clear that we didn't have to pay tis if we didn't want to. We did as, although the service was slow, it was Easter and they were very busy. The staff were also very friendly and helpful it was just a shame the food wasn't up to standard.
Not sure if we will visit again. We used to frequent the pub on a fairly regular basis, entertaining visiting relatives from abroad or just popping in for lunch/ dinner. Maybe we will try it again on an ordinary day. Overall the cost was good value.