“Disappointed”

Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Lytham St Anne's
Bolton, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 3 June 2012

We could not use the pool when we liked because we had to share it with children and adults having swimming lessons and water areobics. The restaurant food was not of a good standard and when we ordered coffee the waitress had to go to the cafe bar to get us one and bring it back, the tables were not dressed for dinner i.e tablecloths etc. Pictures on the web site and around the hotel make the dining room look very inviting and it was nothing like that when you actually went in. Every member of staff that we encountered were very friendly and helpful. 10/10 for staff and 3/10 for everything else.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
ZoeR1, General Manager at Dalmeny Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
Many thanks for your comments, we appreciate customer feedback which helps us to improve the service and facilities we offer.
I am sorry you were inconvenienced due to the pool activities, however we do like to provide a variety of leisure facilities to cater for children and adults alike; residents are welcome to join in with the aqua aerobics for a charge of £4; the times are readily available at our leisure desk. If you prefer to avoid these activities I would contact our leisure reception staff members who will be happy to advise a quieter time to use the pool, for a more relaxed swim. Please note that you are still welcome to use the deep end of the pool for swimming during any classes. Also the baby pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room is available free of charge.
I do hope this has not deterred you from returning to the hotel as we feel the Dalmeny has a lot to offer all types of guests, however due to the diversity of activities I would highly recommend pre-planning, to ensure the facilities are available at your preferred time.
The Atrium Brasserie is a bistro restaurant with an informal contemporary style, therefore we do not cloth tables for dinner, I am sorry if this was not to your liking. Some photo's you may have seen on our marketing material will be of a function layout, I apologise if you have found this misleading.
It was very encouraging to hear you found the staff friendly and helpful, we appreciate your kind comments.
Please do not hesitate to contact me direct by emailing zrobertson@dalmenyhotel.co.uk
Kind regards
Zoe Robertson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
Staffordshire
Reviewed 24 May 2012

Just returned from a three night break at this hotel. We found the hotel was in a lovely location on the promenade and close to the Pier. We were in Room 155 (very quiet and peaceful) and a very large size room - with two queen size beds and a single bed. It has his and her sinks, a bath and walk in shower. It also has a balcony of a decent size to relax and enjoy the view of the sea. Unfortunately, people in a nearby room were smoking on their balcony which rather spoiled the fresh sea air. (not the hotel's fault, just other disrespectful guests).

The food was excellent - buffet breakfast - with food freshly cooked and hot - lovely selection of fruit and cereals and a nice pot of tea. The evening meal is waiter service and a different menu each evening - the BBQ ribs and the stilton/broccoli soup were excellent starters and the fish meals were superb. The waiters and waitresses were extremely accommodatingand friendly.

We found the swimming pool excellent and the staff were very helpful in accommodating my husband in the disabled changing room on the pool side. Small problem with the locker keys in the ladies changing rooms - some maintenance work needed on them to get them to lock/unlock.

One negative - there was a cycle race along the promenade when we arrived, therefore, the roads to the promenade were closed; we, therefore, had difficulty getting to the front of the hotel and had to park on the rear car park and access the hotel from the rear which involved steps and my husband has difficulty walking, therefore, it would have been helpful if the hotel had informed us of this when booking. When we mentioned this difficulty on arrival to the two receptionists they appeared unhelpful.

Room Tip: Room 155 - very large - quiet - excellent view - first floor with good lift access
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
ZoeR1, General Manager at Dalmeny Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments, following your recent stay with us. I was pleased to hear that, overall you enjoyed your stay at The Dalmeny, although I was concerned to learn of the problem you encountered when trying to lock and unlock the doors on the lockers in the Leisure Club changing rooms. I have passed your comments on to our Leisure Club Manager, who will act to remedy this situation without delay

Please accept my sincere apologies for the way in which your observations on the closure of the promenade were dealt with. In the first instance, we should have pre warned guests of this situation, and secondly, I was very disappointed to learn of the Receptionists reaction when you brought this matter to their attention. I do appreciate the considerable inconvenience caused to yourself on this occasion

Despite these isolated problems, I do hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future, and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Dalmeny personally

Reviewed 19 May 2012

Stayed here recently for 4 nights dinner B&B, we were upgraded to premier rooms which were very spacious and well equipped, with excellent large bathrooms and balconies. The rooms were very quiet with good sound insulation between rooms which was appreciated.To a man and woman the staff were extremely helpful and friendly. Particularly enjoyed the dinners, whist the table d'hote was limited and a little repetitive, the a la carte menu had a wide choice and the allowance was generous. The location is excellent and always found a space in the car park. Will definitely return.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
ZoeR1, General Manager at Dalmeny Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2012
Thank you for your kind comments. I was delighted to read your glowing report, and have passed this on to my staff, it will make their day.

I hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon

Reviewed 12 May 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a week at this hotel. Having spent most of her childhood coming here year after year 30 odd years ago along with many other families we were unsure as to what to expect, However all I can say is wow! The hotel has clearly had a major refurb with a lot of extensive facelifting and surgery going on throughout as it was very different to how she had remembered it.
I had originally booked online and unsure as to the room I had booked I contacted reception the night prior to our arrival and asked about this, I asked for an honest opinion and I got one from the very polite and friendly receptionist who recommended I upgraded the room to one of the newer rooms as I had requested a sea view... I had no objections to this and on arrival to our room was greeted by a room bigger than our house!!! Instantly I went back to reception and thanked her for her advise, I do not mind paying when i am staying for a week and I have never felt so relaxed after seeing that room. very clean every facility needed and perfect view over the sea.
The hotel is a myriad of spaces and lounges and quiet areas to read and relax and although not busy when we stayed, i can imagine it very easy still to find your "own" little space if needed.
The pool and gym area were amazing, again very clean and attentive staff at reception area made it a bit more special, a good morning with my first name by the second day made it even more special that the staff took the time to notice these little things.
We ate in the indigo bar on a couple of the nights as we were informed the restaurant would unlikely be open due to being quiet, this was fine as the menu was the same and the quality of the food was absolutely first class, again the bar staff were very friendly and attentive.
Having a very stressful job and normally looking to go abroad for a break all I can say is why? when we have a hotel like this to visit I can assure you we will definitely be returning and wish you and your staff continued success.

Gary and Lynne Gibb

Room Tip: newer rooms with balcony are enormous and very very quiet....
4 Thank Garygibb
ZoeR1, General Manager at Dalmeny Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
'Wow' indeed. It really made our day to read your very comlimentary review. We are continually striving to update the hotel, but it is a very difficult and slow process during the current economic climate. However, we are getting there, and it is lovely to get such positive feedback. Thank you

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon

Uk
Reviewed 8 May 2012

Stayed for an overnight for a business trip as my regular hotel was full. The Dalmeny seems to cater more for the leisure crowd. The spa and swimming pool looked good although I didn't use them personally.
The rooms were a bit bizarre - I think geared more towards family market .. .so in my and my colleague's rooms we all had extra rooms/beds/cots etc. The furnishings were a little tired - quite floral and for example the TV was quite an old one. But the room was very spacious.
Breakfast was fine but nothing special .. .usual fare of cooked breakfast under heat lamps and DIY toast (typical cheap hotel bread) ... as a bonus they did have marmite though which I always appreciate. It was all plentiful and the breakfast room was busy with lots of people enjoying themselves.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay, we do appreciate your constructive comments.
Because St Annes is a typical British Resort, we do appeal to the family market, although we also cater extensively for corporate guests
I note your comments regarding the type of room allocated on this occasion, and would advise that, should you decide to stay with us again in the future, you particularly specify a double room. Alternatively, you may like to opt for a Premier room, many of which enjoy a sea view and balcony
We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Dalmeny on a future occasion

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lytham St Anne's
0.6 km away
Best Western Plus Blackpool Lytham St Annes Glendower Hotel
Best Western Plus Blackpool Lyth...
#4 of 16 in Lytham St Anne's
0.2 km away
Clifton Park Hotel
Clifton Park Hotel
#6 of 16 in Lytham St Anne's

Been to Dalmeny Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!