“Will get repeat visits from us”
Review of The Deacon

The Deacon
Reviewed 29 September 2018

I was more than surprised that there appears to be as many bad reviews as there are and wondered if we missed something or were lucky. The outside we didnt find particularly appealing and have held back trying it out because of this. However a few weeks ago the place was full inside and outside so we could assess the food from the outside. We had a nice welcome and sat in the window which seemed initially tight on space but by sliding the table was more than adequate. The service was pleasant and casually friendly and the food we had was excellent. It is similar in food style to the other neighouring restaurants and similar price wise too. Lytham has a continental style of dining with open air and internal conservatory availability grabbing the sun creating a locally unique ambience.We loved it and will definitely return. Thank you Deacon

Date of visit: September 2018
LeighN149, General Manager at The Deacon, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2018

Thanks very much for your kind words rob00 - pleasant service and excellent food is what we want. We'll look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 25 September 2018

Never been here before. Were looking for a nice Sunday Roast to top off a lovely walk on the beach and a weekend in the Blackpool area. It was a sunny, slightly breezy afternoon so we chose to sit outside. Service was quick and my partner was given the correctly prepared roast beef after an error was made. No fuss and the food was lovely. I have never eaten roast sweet potatoes before and they were delicious. Nice atmosphere and would definitely return there for another meal if we were ever in the area again.

Date of visit: September 2018
LeighN149, General Manager at The Deacon, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2018

Thanks very much for the feedback LondonBoomerang2; roast sweet potatoes are indeed a game changer!

Reviewed 25 September 2018 via mobile

Visited the Deacon to celebrate my birthday with my other half. One of the main things we noticed was the service. The staff were great, friendly and very professional - couldn’t fault them at all. Massive selection of Gins, would definitely recommend the Cherry gin. We both had starters which were fab. For our main meal, I had the spinach and mushroom gnocchi which was very nice, piping hot. My other half had the mussels which he thoroughly enjoyed it. Could not fault the Deacon at all, excellent service, food and drink. 10/10

Date of visit: September 2018

I'm thrilled by your response becdz95 and thanks again for choosing to spend your special day with us.

Reviewed 22 September 2018 via mobile

Deacons looks fantastic from the outside. It is fantastic inside, very stylish indeed. A lot of money has been spent. The conservatory area opens up the whole place. Drinks wise - ok. Food wise? Pricey. Our meal for four varied in quality. Some of the staff were very young, which means not much experience and it showed. So will withhold opinion at this stage, but feel it will need to up it’s game if it's going to be a big success. It could be amazing but will need to adjust prices and ask some staff to smile.

1  Thank Pixiep92

Hi Pixiep92, I'm sorry to hear you were left disappointed. If you'd like to outline how we can improve aside from being cheaper, please let me know leigh@thedeaconlytham.com.

Reviewed 12 September 2018

This was our 3rd visit to the Deacon and will be our last!!
Having had two lovely meals here before we all decided we wanted to go again but so different from our previous times. We ordered our drinks and one of us ordered gin & tonic when asked which gin my friend said Gordon’s, the drinks arrived and my friend was not happy with the gin it didn’t taste right to her, asking the waitress if it was gin in the drink as it didn’t taste how she thought it should. The waitress told us they didn’t do Gordon’s so it was a house gin, my friend didn’t like the taste and choose a different one, when the waitress brought the new one she told my friend not to put so much tonic in this one, after drinking gin & tonic for over 30yrs my friend knows which gin she likes and how much tonic she likes in her gin, she told the waitress to take the first gin & tonic away as it would not get drank. We felt our waitress was discussing us with the staff as we got looks from her and the staff after the drink situation.
Food was good but the duck was not to my husbands liking not pink and rather tough, he didn’t want to make a fuss about it so never said anything, chips were not as good as usual. The waitress didn’t ask if we wanted a desert she just put a desert menu in front of us, we all decided to pass on coffee & desert and get the bill. After checking the bill we had been charged for the 1st gin & tonic taking this up with the waitress she said the bar manager said there was nothing wrong with it, we asked to speak with the manager. Our argument was when asked for a Gordon’s gin and not being told they didn’t sell it and giving a house gin was totally wrong, if she had been told in the beginning she would have choose a different gin. The manager was not for taking the drink off the bill but we were not paying for a drink that was sold to us as a Gordon’s gin and it wasn’t it was a house gin, after much discussion he took it off the bill.
Being in business myself and serving the public I feel the manager delt with the situation completely wrong, was it worth upsetting us all over one drink! none of us will return to the Deacon again.
We were served by a waitress that could have been more happy & pleasant and a manager that was not the most helpful man.

2  Thank sharon j
LeighN149, General Manager at The Deacon, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2018

Hi Sharon j, I am very sorry for your dissatisfaction. The duty manager listened carefully to your lengthy complaint, apologised many times, communicated politely the reason for the confusion, and concluded by giving you the drink for free without quibble.

We don't stock mass produced Gordon's as it's a watery 37.5%, we have ninety other choices, all of which were dismissed.

Perhaps you'd like to attend our Hendricks Afternoon Gin Tea Party and discover something new? If you'd like to contact me on leigh@thedeaconlytham.com I'll arrange a complimentary ticket.

All the best.