“Lunch”

Ranked #34 of 69 Restaurants in Tavistock
Price range: USD 8 - USD 13
Cuisines: Pizza, British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: SOUTH WEST REGION WINNER AND TOP TEN FINALIST FISH & CHIP SHOP OF THE YEAR 2014This famous Fish and Chip shop is now under new private ownership. The menu is committed to using sustainable resources and potatoes supplied from our local merchant.All our meat products are supplied by a local butcher including a delicious range of pies and pasties.Food is freshly cooked especially for you. Take away or eat in our warm and inviting restaurant.Enter as a stranger and leave as a friend.
Reviewed 30 June 2017 via mobile

Visited the Tavi Friar on the 29 the and as usual were greeted warmly by the young ladies who were serving. Ordered our meal and coffee, the latter being brought immediately. Waited a while for our meals but as usual, the fish was superb and there was plenty of chips. The only thing that was a let down was the mushy peas which were barely warm.

Reviewed 8 June 2017 via mobile

What has happened to the Tavi fryer! Previously a jewel in Tavistock crown!
Portion sizes have gone down, standards have dropped. We waited 40minutes for our food in the restaurant, front of house was practically empty! When it arrived it was undercooked, raw meat in the sausage the order was wrong and the portion size was for a child! We asked for bread and butter and a small slice of brown bread was served! Staff member offered to bring out fresh food but by then we just wanted to leave. He did his best and apologised profusely! It was awful and such a sad experience as previously the food and standards have always been superb and a real family favourite of ours.
I can only hope that things will
Improve again but sadly we won't be eating in for a while.

3  Thank Ali S
Reviewed 2 June 2017

We popped in for a "naughty but nice" portion of chips as a lunchtime treat and were greeted by a very cheerful host who presented us with a free " taster" of fresh chips with a "dipping" curry sauce while we waited. It was absolutely delicious and I presume that it was home made as the gentleman served it with such pride and obvious delight. Our chips were excellent and it is the little things which make the difference to the experience! Delightful!

1  Thank Kate S
Reviewed 26 May 2017 via mobile

Been here a couple of times before and it's been okay but today was poor. Chips were way too greasy and the sausages were like someone had piped sunflower oil in them, there was so much oil I could start my own chippy. Wasn't a fan of how they just employe kids who didn't seem to know what their doing. The chips definitely needed more cooking as they were just soggy. The kids in there who served me didn't seem very welcoming but I can see things might get a bit repetitive working there.
Prices were reasonable but Overall not the best visit.

Date of visit: May 2017
Reviewed 17 May 2017 via mobile

My friend and I called in for dinner tonight and were completely delighted with this chip shop.
Everything was amazing. The staff friendly and attentive to our every need, the service prompt and the fish and chips absolutely perfect!
I had a pot of curry sauce and it is the best I have tasted in years.
The young man who served us was extremely helpful and when I asked for hot water to drink, a request often viewed with incredulity , produced a tea pot of hot water and a side dish of lemon to go in it.
We had the large cod and chips and a cod bites and chips , bread and butter,a pot of tea and a pot of curry sauce for under £14.00. We were given a top up on our curry sauce and a take away container for it for no extra cost.
We were blown away by the friendly efficient service and the fantastic standard of the food,easily the best we have had.
I would have no hesitation about recommending this wonderful place to anyone and will certainly go again soon myself.

Date of visit: May 2017
Murfmak, Owner at The Tavi Friar, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2017

Wow! Thank you so much it has been our pleasure to serve you.
The team has been working very hard to serve the best quality food with excellent customer service. Like all journeys it can get a little bumpy along the way and your review will help spur us all on and give us encouragement on our mission.
We hope to see you again soon.